zoomfloppy with windows 10 ?

Didier Derny
Hi

is there any hope to  use zoomfloppy with windows 10

I tried to install a commodore drive with zoomfloppy

but windows 10 refuses to load the driver...

Re: zoomfloppy with windows 10 ?

Use the latest driver from here
http://spiro.trikaliotis.net/opencbm-alpha#download, it's signed and
seems to work fine.

On 12/08/2017 21:12, didier derny wrote:

> Hi
>

> is there any hope to  use zoomfloppy with windows 10
>
> I tried to install a commodore drive with zoomfloppy
>
> but windows 10 refuses to load the driver...
>

>       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Re: zoomfloppy with windows 10 ?

Didier Derny
Hi

finally it works... with this latest link...
I was literally boiling...
windows  was refusing the new driver and was using the old one installed
with zadig
finally after hours lost it works

thanks

On 14/08/2017 13:21, smf wrote:

> Use the latest driver from here
> http://spiro.trikaliotis.net/opencbm-alpha#download, it's signed and
> seems to work fine.
>

> On 12/08/2017 21:12, didier derny wrote:
>> Hi
>>

>> is there any hope to  use zoomfloppy with windows 10
>>
>> I tried to install a commodore drive with zoomfloppy
>>
>> but windows 10 refuses to load the driver...
>>

>>       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Re: zoomfloppy with windows 10 ?

I don't see any signed drivers... which version are you referring to?

 AFAIK you need to install the Zadig driver to get it to run with the newer versions of windows.
has the instructions. I've used them and they work. In fact I do all my CBM-Transfer development and testing with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Zoom Floppy with opencbm work just fine.

Steve

PS: You can also find direct download links for opencbm and zadig on my CBM-Transfer page here:
(look in the related files section)

Steve

On 12/08/2017 21:12, didier derny wrote:

> Hi
>

> is there any hope to  use zoomfloppy with windows 10
>
> I tried to install a commodore drive with zoomfloppy
>
> but windows 10 refuses to load the driver...
>

>       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Re: zoomfloppy with windows 10 ?

LOL, sorry I was a couple seconds late responding! Glad you got it working!

Steve

On 14/08/2017 13:21, smf wrote:
> Use the latest driver from here
> http://spiro.trikaliotis.net/opencbm-alpha#download, it's signed and
> seems to work fine.
>

> On 12/08/2017 21:12, didier derny wrote:
>> Hi
>>

>> is there any hope to  use zoomfloppy with windows 10
>>
>> I tried to install a commodore drive with zoomfloppy
>>
>> but windows 10 refuses to load the driver...
>>

>>      Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
>

>      Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Re: zoomfloppy with windows 10 ?

Steve Gray
With OpenCBM it appears you really need to uninstall and reboot before updating it, otherwise there could be some issues.

Everyone has their own experiences with Windows I guess. Driver signing is there to make Windows more secure. When I was using Win 7 or 8 I was not able to get OpenCBM to work properly and I had to run the VB IDE in a virtual machine to do all my CBM-Transfer development (VB runtimes always worked without problems). I had a separate WinXP machine for testing.

 With Win10 I can do everything directly in windows. For me, Win 10 works very smoothly. It's never crashed since it's been installed, and I rarely reboot it.

Steve

On 14/08/2017 13:21, smf wrote:
> Use the latest driver from here
> http://spiro.trikaliotis.net/opencbm-alpha#download, it's signed and
> seems to work fine.
>

> On 12/08/2017 21:12, didier derny wrote:
>> Hi
>>

>> is there any hope to  use zoomfloppy with windows 10
>>
>> I tried to install a commodore drive with zoomfloppy
>>
>> but windows 10 refuses to load the driver...
>>

>>      Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
>

>      Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Re: zoomfloppy with windows 10 ?

smf
On 14/08/2017 21:27, Steve Gray wrote:
> When I was using Win 7 or 8 I was not able to get OpenCBM to work properly

It's been a while, but I always update and I'm sure I was able to run it
on both of those at some point. It would be better if you didn't have to
go looking, as I wasted a few hours trying to get it working.

On new windows 10 installs you have to disable driver signing every time
you want to use the driver, not just for installing it. So it's not a
workround that is worth considering these days.

Re: zoomfloppy with windows 10 ?

smf
BTW The latest nibtools (nibread etc) I found are here

http://c64preservation.com/files/nibtools/

Works find reading 1571 using fast serial.

On 14/08/2017 20:35, Steve Gray wrote:
> I don't see any signed drivers... which version are you referring to?

They are in the zip file linked on that page, this is a direct link

http://www.trikaliotis.net/Download/opencbm-0.4.99.98/opencbm-0.4.99.98.zip

I ran the install.cmd but that didn't seem to install the driver & I
think I'm not the only one that had the problem.
Selecting it in device manager and doing a have disk install of the
driver in the windrv directory seemed to work though.

Re: zoomfloppy with windows 10 ?

I installed Zadig and then the driver. I do not have to disable anything. I can reboot, shutdown etc and opencbm still works. My Win 10 was installed over Win 7 Pro when Win10 was first released. I don't know if that makes any difference to doing a brand-new Win10 install. Perhaps there is a difference between the Pro and the home versions???

I know it was possible to install on Win 7/8 but for some reason my system just never worked. I don't know why. When I upgraded to 10 and installed Zadig everything just worked fine.

Steve

> When I was using Win 7 or 8 I was not able to get OpenCBM to work properly

It's been a while, but I always update and I'm sure I was able to run it
on both of those at some point. It would be better if you didn't have to
go looking, as I wasted a few hours trying to get it working.

On new windows 10 installs you have to disable driver signing every time
you want to use the driver, not just for installing it. So it's not a
workround that is worth considering these days.

Re: zoomfloppy with windows 10 ?

I don't think that version or any other version is actually "signed". That's why you need zadig.

Steve

On 14/08/2017 22:01, Steve Gray wrote:
My Win 10 was installed over Win 7 Pro when Win10 was first released. I don't know if that makes any difference to doing a brand-new Win10 install. Perhaps there is a difference between the Pro and the home versions???

Home and Pro makes no difference. Driver signing changed in new installs of Windows 10 1607, which is known as Anniversary Update. If you upgrade to 1607 then it will still load unsigned drivers, supposedly there is a secret registry key that can be put onto new installs to make it work like an upgrade but to get the registry key you have to sign an NDA. I can't find anyone that has leaked it or figured it out yet.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/windows_hardware_certification/2016/07/26/driver-signing-changes-in-windows-10-version-1607/

"Starting with new installations of Windows 10, version 1607, the previously defined driver signing rules will be enforced by the Operating System, and Windows 10, version 1607 will not load any new kernel mode drivers which are not signed by the Dev Portal. OS signing enforcement is only for new OS installations; systems upgraded from an earlier OS to Windows 10, version 1607 will not be affected by this change."

But the drivers I linked don't have that problem as they are signed anyway, according to device manager "Digital Signer: Open Source Developer, Amd MENGE" Driver date is 02/10/2010 and driver version is 1.2.2.0

On 14/08/2017 22:03, Steve Gray wrote:

> I don't think that version or any other version is actually "signed". That's why you need zadig.

The ones I linked are signed as far as windows is concerned & the only
way to do that is to actually sign them. There are no workrounds
possible anymore. i.e. You can't install a certificate and use that to
self sign the driver.

The driver _has_ to be officially signed or new installs of windows will
reject it and put an error in event log when you try to load it, unless
you disable signature verification on every boot & I can't be doing with
that.

The drivers linked on http://www.go4retro.com/products/zoomfloppy/ look
like the are supposed to be signed too but I'm sure windows rejected
them. You also suggested disabling signature enforcement, which
re-enforces that.

I didn't spend any time trying to figure out what the problem was as I
found other people online with the same problem and the suggestion was
to use the latest beta and that worked for me.

Re: zoomfloppy with windows 10 ?

Spiro Trikaliotis
Hello Terry,

* On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 01:48:38PM -0600 Terry Raymond wrote:
> Will Windows XP home service pack 3 run this?

yes, there is special code in place to make it compatible with Windows XP.

Spiro R. Trikaliotis
http://www.trikaliotis.net/

* On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 11:04:16PM +0100 smf wrote:
> On 14/08/2017 22:03, Steve Gray wrote:

> The ones I linked are signed as far as windows is concerned & the only way
> to do that is to actually sign them. There are no workrounds possible
> anymore. i.e. You can't install a certificate and use that to self sign the
> driver.

Yes. That's why zadig should not work on Windows 10 anymore, at least on
newer versions.

Thus, the version that is signed by Arnd is the only one that should
work reliably on Windows 10. However, even that one is an exception,
because it was signed BEFORE Windows 10 changed to a harder signature
policy. That is, if we will find a bug in the driver in the future we
want to fix, or if want to add functionality, we will not be able to
create a valid signature anymore. Windows will be completely left out.

At least, this was the state when I last checked the Windows 10 signature.

Spiro R. Trikaliotis
http://www.trikaliotis.net/

Re: zoomfloppy with windows 10 ?

Justin-2
Oddly it is right next to the special place in hell reserved for keeping XP systems powered on!

Justin

* On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 12:54:55PM -0700 Justin Cordesman wrote:
> Oddly it is right next to the special place in hell reserved for keeping XP
> systems powered on!

as I do not have any machine that has a parallel port and anything newer
than Windows XP, it is the only way I could eventually create a new
version and test it.

I do not use Windows myself anymore, at least not on real hardware.

Spiro R. Trikaliotis
http://www.trikaliotis.net/