zoomfloppy firmware version

silverdr-2
A quick question - how does one check the version of ZoomFloppy firmware? I took mine out for testing but it's been quite a while since I last used it so I'd rather check what's in there and update if needed.

Re: zoomfloppy firmware version

silverdr-2

> On 2017-08-18, at 20:55, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> A quick question - how does one check the version of ZoomFloppy firmware? I took mine out for testing but it's been quite a while since I last used it so I'd rather check what's in there and update if needed.

Also - where does one get the LATEST firmware? Nate's pages at

http://root.org/~nate/c64/xum1541/index.html

seem to have links to update tool but not to the firmware itself? The only one I found seems to be in the "Windows install package" and reads as

xum1541-ZOOMFLOPPY-v07.hex

Is this actually the latest ZoomFloppy firmware?

Re: zoomfloppy firmware version

Try to update. The update program will tell you.

v7 is the newest, as far as I know.

> On August 18, 2017 at 2:55 PM [hidden email] wrote:
>

> A quick question - how does one check the version of ZoomFloppy firmware? I took mine out for testing but it's been quite a while since I last used it so I'd rather check what's in there and update if needed.
> --
> SD! - http://e4aws.silverdr.com/

Re: zoomfloppy firmware version

silverdr-2

> On 2017-08-18, at 22:36, Jim Brain <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Try to update. The update program will tell you.

OK - so will it tell me the version I have or will it tell me that I need to update? And in comparison to what? It won't check for the latest version online, will it? So in comparison to what I supply as the "current", right?

Sure I could check it myself but as with all thing flashy I'd rather "blow on the cold" than "brick" the device ;-)

> v7 is the newest, as far as I know.

So the file from the "windows install" package should do and we don't have any other method of checking, right?

Re: zoomfloppy firmware version

> On 2017-08-19, at 00:47, Glenn Holmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Try to update. The update program will tell you.
>>
>> v7 is the newest, as far as I know.
>
> How do Linux users check/update the firmware?

Seems the same as (former) OSX users - they build the `xum1541cfg` tool from sources. Sources are available at Nate's pages:

http://root.org/~nate/c64/xum1541cfg.tar.gz

Take those are the latest ones.

Then they download the Windows install package of opencbm

http://root.org/~nate/c64/opencbm-ZoomFloppy-2.0-i386.zip

and take the .HEX file from the downloaded archive. Again we assume the latest one is the one there.

Re: zoomfloppy firmware version

> On 2017-08-19, at 11:12, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Try to update. The update program will tell you.
>
> OK - so will it tell me the version I have or will it tell me that I need to update? And in comparison to what? It won't check for the latest version online, will it? So in comparison to what I supply as the "current", right?
>
> Sure I could check it myself but as with all thing flashy I'd rather "blow on the cold" than "brick" the device ;-)

After realising that people who may give authoritative answer are most probably going to be asleep for a few more hours I decided to bite the bullet... and it worked. Have V7 in my zoomfloppy.

Re: zoomfloppy firmware version

silverdr-2

> On 2017-08-19, at 12:52, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Sure I could check it myself but as with all thing flashy I'd rather "blow on the cold" than "brick" the device ;-)
>
> After realising that people who may give authoritative answer are most probably going to be asleep for a few more hours I decided to bite the bullet... and it worked. Have V7 in my zoomfloppy.

Amd for those who might find themselves in similar situation as I was, I placed the new code for the xum1541cfg tool on github:

https://github.com/silverdr/xum1541cfg

$ ./xum1541cfg devinfo
finding device...
xum1541 device, model 2 firmware version 7

With "devinfo" command the model/version information can be fetched without triggering the potentially risky update process.

* On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 09:05:42PM +0200 [hidden email] wrote:

> Also - where does one get the LATEST firmware?

https://sourceforge.net/p/opencbm/code/ci/master/tree/xum1541/, file
xum1541-ZOOMFLOPPY-v07.hex

Get the update tool xum1541cfg here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/opencbm/code/ci/master/tree/xum1541cfg/

Spiro R. Trikaliotis
http://www.trikaliotis.net/

* On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 02:38:30PM +0200 [hidden email] wrote:

> Amd for those who might find themselves in similar situation as I was, I placed the new code for the xum1541cfg tool on github:
>
> https://github.com/silverdr/xum1541cfg

It was already there at
https://sourceforge.net/p/opencbm/code/ci/master/tree/xum1541cfg/

as well as the latest firmware in
https://sourceforge.net/p/opencbm/code/ci/master/tree/xum1541/

Spiro R. Trikaliotis
http://www.trikaliotis.net/

Re: zoomfloppy firmware version

silverdr-2

> On 2017-08-19, at 22:27, Spiro Trikaliotis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> * On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 02:38:30PM +0200 [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Amd for those who might find themselves in similar situation as I was, I placed the new code for the xum1541cfg tool on github:
>>
>> https://github.com/silverdr/xum1541cfg
>
> It was already there at

I put up my "fork" with changes, which allow checking the installed firmware version without the need to issue 'update' command.

But putting this aside, what you wrote makes the point made here just short time ago even more valid - the information is scattered across various not necessarily easy to find places and quite confusing at times too.

> https://sourceforge.net/p/opencbm/code/ci/master/tree/xum1541cfg/
>
> as well as the latest firmware in
> https://sourceforge.net/p/opencbm/code/ci/master/tree/xum1541/

I see - let's take it off the list for now.

Re: zoomfloppy firmware version

Nate Lawson
Either through the firmware update utility or by adding XUM1541_DEBUG=99 to a "cbmctrl status" or other command.

-Nate

> On Aug 18, 2017, at 11:55 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> A quick question - how does one check the version of ZoomFloppy firmware? I took mine out for testing but it's been quite a while since I last used it so I'd rather check what's in there and update if needed.
> --
> SD! - http://e4aws.silverdr.com/

Re: zoomfloppy firmware version

Nate Lawson
Compile the utility from opencbm. It works on Linux and Mac also.

-Nate

> On Aug 18, 2017, at 3:47 PM, Glenn Holmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 08/18/2017 03:36 PM, Jim Brain wrote:
>> Try to update. The update program will tell you.
>>
>> v7 is the newest, as far as I know.
>
> How do Linux users check/update the firmware?
>
>>> On August 18, 2017 at 2:55 PM [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> A quick question - how does one check the version of ZoomFloppy
>> firmware? I took mine out for testing but it's been quite a while since
>> I last used it so I'd rather check what's in there and update if needed.
>
> --
> Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)
> "After the vintage season came the aftermath -- and Cenbe."

Re: zoomfloppy firmware version

> On 2017-08-20, at 16:58, Nate Lawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Either through the firmware update utility or by adding XUM1541_DEBUG=99 to a "cbmctrl status" or other command.

I didn't know about the debug option, thanks. As for the update utility I took the sources from your website (are they the latest ones?) and added a command to read the model/version out of the device without doing update.

Re: zoomfloppy firmware version

Nate Lawson

> On Aug 20, 2017, at 10:32 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>

>> On 2017-08-20, at 16:58, Nate Lawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Either through the firmware update utility or by adding XUM1541_DEBUG=99 to a "cbmctrl status" or other command.
>
> I didn't know about the debug option, thanks. As for the update utility I took the sources from your website (are they the latest ones?) and added a command to read the model/version out of the device without doing update.

Patches welcome for adding an “info” command to xum1541cfg

-Nate

Re: zoomfloppy firmware version

smf

Can we get the proper working code in opencbm? as the one they ship is using different code and is broken for some reason...

-Nate

Re: zoomfloppy firmware version

silverdr-2

> On 2017-08-23, at 10:05, smf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Can we get the proper working code in opencbm? as the one they ship is using different code and is broken for some reason...

And what do you mean by that? Seems like first a rhetoric question and then a kind of mysterious complaint to me...

On 23/08/2017 09:10, [hidden email] wrote:
And what do you mean by that? Seems like first a rhetoric question and then a kind of mysterious complaint to me...

I'm referring to this:

http://spiro.trikaliotis.net/opencbm-alpha

VERSION 0.4.99.95a (ALPHA STAGE!) (February 5th, 2014)

Removed the compiled version of xum1541cfg.exe. The version provided was heaviliy outdated and does not resemble the latest development. Furthermore, any instructions you might have read about xum1541cfg.exe did not apply to the version provided here.

To get the accurate version that actually works, use the one provided in the ZoomFloppy Win32 install package instead.

opencbm opencbm-0.4.99.98 contains the broken xum1541cfg.exe again.

Re: zoomfloppy firmware version

silverdr-2

> On 2017-08-23, at 10:22, smf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 23/08/2017 09:10, [hidden email] wrote:
>> And what do you mean by that? Seems like first a rhetoric question and then a kind of mysterious complaint to me...
> I'm referring to this:
> http://spiro.trikaliotis.net/opencbm-alpha
> VERSION 0.4.99.95a (ALPHA STAGE!) (February 5th, 2014)
> Removed the compiled version of xum1541cfg.exe. The version provided was heaviliy outdated and does not resemble the latest development. Furthermore, any instructions you might have read about xum1541cfg.exe did not apply to the version provided here.
>
> To get the accurate version that actually works, use the one provided in the ZoomFloppy Win32 install package instead.

and what do you get when you use the package that it refers to:

http://root.org/~nate/c64/opencbm-ZoomFloppy-2.0-i386.zip

?

On 23/08/2017 09:26, [hidden email] wrote:
and what do you get when you use the package that it refers to:
http://root.org/~nate/c64/opencbm-ZoomFloppy-2.0-i386.zip

?

You get a working xum1541cfg.exe, packaged with an outdated version of opencbm which doesn't work on latest windows 10 & so you have to mix and match from the two. Which isn't particularly user friendly.

It would seem most logical for opencbm to ship a working xum1541cfg.exe

Re: zoomfloppy firmware version

silverdr-2

> On 2017-08-23, at 11:37, smf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 23/08/2017 09:26, [hidden email] wrote:
>> and what do you get when you use the package that it refers to:
>> http://root.org/~nate/c64/opencbm-ZoomFloppy-2.0-i386.zip
>>
>> ?
>>
> You get a working xum1541cfg.exe, packaged with an outdated version of opencbm which doesn't work on latest windows 10 & so you have to mix and match from the two. Which isn't particularly user friendly.
> It would seem most logical for opencbm to ship a working xum1541cfg.exe

I see (and understand now). FYI we have currently a discussion off the list about improving the state of OpenCBM/xum1541 and consolidating scattered pieces into one, authoritative source of software and information. It may take some time but at least the problem became acknowledged and I believe that a productive consensus is coming.