testing individual chips

boelle
Hi

I got hold of an 326298 rev A board for a very good bargin

No of the bigger chips thou.

One thought came to mind, how can i test individual chips?

There are the dead test cartridge and the diagnostic cartridge but they test the system as a whole

could memory etc be test on say an arduino with a zif socket shield? i do have such a shield i once used to program blank uno chips and wondered if i could repurpose that (its just collecting dust)

resistors etc i know how to test (just a matter of getting the right multimeter)

               @(~Ô^Ô~)@
-------------oOo---U---oOo-------------
|                                     |
|  Bo Herrmannsen                     |
|                                     |
|                                     |
| "blessed are the "cracked",         |
|  for its they who let in the light" |
|                         Ooo         |
|_________________ooO____(   )________|
                 (   )    ) /
                  \ (    (_/
                   \_)

Re: testing individual chips

silverdr-2

> On 2017-03-06, at 15:32, Bo Herrmannsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> One thought came to mind, how can i test individual chips?

The good old way is to have a working, socketed board and test them there. I posted the cartridge image some time ago. Used it with combination of ports' dongles for many years when repairing CBM stuff for living some decades ago.

> There are the dead test cartridge and the diagnostic cartridge but they test the system as a whole
>
> could memory etc be test on say an arduino with a zif socket shield?

Theoretically yes. Practically you'd need to build the hardware environment required for the chip to work (in case of DRAM this is not only power but also refresh for example) AND the software to use the particular hardware setup doing all reasonable tests.

I humbly believe you don't really want to do this. I wouldn't for example ;-)

--
SD!

Re: testing individual chips

boelle
You are right

I have started to look after the schematics etc for the cartridge and port dongles instead

there are a german forum where one individual makes them im limited batches.

it works by adding your username to the list and how many you want

Re: testing individual chips

Gerrit Heitsch
On 03/06/2017 07:49 PM, Bo Herrmannsen wrote:
> You are right
>
> I have started to look after the schematics etc for the cartridge and
> port dongles instead

That's simple, here you go:

http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~schepers/diagnostic.html

Below the schematic is the link to grab the ROM. I optimized the circuit
a bit when building it. Still works the same, but has less connecting
cables between the dongles.

Other Diag cartridge ROM images can be found here:

http://blog.worldofjani.com/?p=164

Hope this helps.