sx64 repair / C=Key

Didier Derny

Thanks to all for all your advices to repair a sx64

My keyboard now works perfectly

(just in case, I bought a C=Key from go4retro.com)

I need to build a special flat cable to connect it ?

The connector is too big to fit the standard cable.

The floppy is mostly working (the error rate is high, it often bump but recover)

Any idea on how to fix that ?

Thanks

--

Didier

Re: sx64 repair / C=Key

Julian Perry
Re: sx64 repair / C=Key There's an SX keyboard (with a missing key) up for sale on Ebay atm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commodore-SX-64-Commodore-64-Keyboard-only-AS-IS-/161197495630?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item25881e954e

Julian

[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks to all for all your advices to repair a sx64

My keyboard now works perfectly

(just in case, I bought a C=Key from
go4retro.com)

I need to build a special flat cable to connect it ?
The connector is too big to fit the standard cable.

The floppy is mostly working (the error rate is high, it often bump but recover)

Any idea on how to fix that ?

Thanks

--
Didier

--
Best regards,
 Julian

Re: sx64 repair / C=Key

Julian Perry
Re: sx64 repair / C=Key Actually, trawling idly through the vintage section of Ebay:

One C64SX cable, 30 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Original-Commodore-Cable-SHORT-DB25-DB-25-/161197026198?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item2588176b96

[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks to all for all your advices to repair a sx64

My keyboard now works perfectly

(just in case, I bought a C=Key from
go4retro.com)

I need to build a special flat cable to connect it ?
The connector is too big to fit the standard cable.

The floppy is mostly working (the error rate is high, it often bump but recover)

Any idea on how to fix that ?

Thanks

--
Didier

--
Best regards,
 Julian

RE: sx64 repair / C=Key

Didier Derny
Re: sx64 repair / C=Key

This is great thanks,

I’ve got the cable a I hope to get the keyboard for spare parts…

My cable is still working but almost completely destroyed L

--

didier

On 01/17/2014 10:11 PM, didier derny wrote:

> The floppy is mostly working (the error rate is high, it often bump but
> recover)
>
> Any idea on how to fix that ?

Did you clean the R/W head?

RE: sx64 repair / C=Key

Didier Derny
Not sure I had the right method...
I tried to clean the heads...

When I started the cleaning almost all floppy disks failed.

Now it's only about 1/3

On 01/17/2014 10:11 PM, didier derny wrote:

> The floppy is mostly working (the error rate is high, it often bump but
> recover)
>
> Any idea on how to fix that ?

Did you clean the R/W head?

Re: sx64 repair / C=Key

raycomp
Frank from ECS who was the Commodore certified tech in Mpls/St. Paul swore by using a piece of paper no rougher than calculator paper that he wet with isopropyl alcohol to polish the read/write head in a circular motion.  He also said to use the same alcohol to clean the rails that the head rides upon - the use greaseless lubricant to lube the rails.

RayBryan

Raymond C. Bryan  651-642-9890 vox
Raymond Computer  651-642-9891 fax
2306 Robbins Ave.
St Paul MN  55114
email:  [hidden email]    [hidden email]

On Jan 19, 2014, at 1:08 AM, "didier derny" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Not sure I had the right method...
I tried to clean the heads...

When I started the cleaning almost all floppy disks failed.

Now it's only about 1/3

Re: RE: sx64 repair / C=Key

hwarin

Bonjour Didier

J'ai mis pas mal de temps pour répondre, beaucoup de travail ces temps-ci ... Bref, pour ton SX, je peux te fournir de l'alcool isopropylique (j'en ai 10 litres sous la main) et j'en ai un entier "pour pièces", il était 100% fonctionnel mais il est sale ... J'ai nettoyé l'électronique (alim + toutes les cartes c64 + 1541) et le boitier mais pas la video ni le clavier ni le floppy.

Jes conseils de nettoyage de tête sont bons ... il n'est pas rare d'avoir beaucoup de déchets sur les disquettes, dépendant beaucoiup des marques, les dysan et les vieilles verbatim rose sont très sujetes aux problèmes. Si tu vois une sorte de moisissure, tu es à 99% certain que la disquette est foutue ... et passer une disquette foutue salit la tête .... et le tampon en feutre sur l'autre face. et rebelotte ! J'ai quelques disquettes de netoyage au besoin.

CDT - Hervé

Tous vos emails en 1 clic avec l'application SFR Mail sur iPhone et Android - En savoir plus.

Message du : 19/01/2014 08:08

On 01/17/2014 10:11 PM, didier derny wrote:

> The floppy is mostly working (the error rate is high, it often bump but
> recover)
>
> Any idea on how to fix that ?

Did you clean the R/W head?

Re: RE: sx64 repair / C=Key

hwarin

Hi, all

Sorry for my previous "French" mail ... It was supposed to be personaly adressed to Didier.

I was telling about some brands of disks mostly Dysan and old pink verbatim that use to have a sort of moisure on disk's surface ... Those disks are almost certainly unreadable and will cause dirt to go to the head ... and again, it'll need some cleaning. I'm used to use cleaning disks with isopropyl alchool quite often.

Regards - Hervé

Tous vos emails en 1 clic avec l'application SFR Mail sur iPhone et Android - En savoir plus.

Message du : 19/01/2014 08:08

On 01/17/2014 10:11 PM, didier derny wrote:

> The floppy is mostly working (the error rate is high, it often bump but
> recover)
>
> Any idea on how to fix that ?

Did you clean the R/W head?

Re: sx64 repair / C=Key

Christian Dirks
Hi Hervé,
I have some disks with the same problem.
Was your cleaning successfull ?
Could you describe, how you did it ?

Christian

Envoyé : samedi 18 janvier 2014 18:01
À : [hidden email]

On 01/17/2014 10:11 PM, didier derny wrote:

> The floppy is mostly working (the error rate is high, it often bump but
> recover)
>
> Any idea on how to fix that ?

Did you clean the R/W head?

Christian Dirks

Re: Re: sx64 repair / C=Key

hwarin
Sadly, for those kind of disks, I don't have any solution.

Tous vos emails en 1 clic avec l'application SFR Mail sur iPhone et Android - En savoir plus.

Message du : 22/01/2014 22:50

Envoyé : samedi 18 janvier 2014 18:01
À : [hidden email]

On 01/17/2014 10:11 PM, didier derny wrote:

> The floppy is mostly working (the error rate is high, it often bump but
> recover)
>
> Any idea on how to fix that ?

Did you clean the R/W head?

Christian Dirks

Re: sx64 repair / C=Key

Uffe Jakobsen
Administrator

Hi,

The members of the pan-european Disk Transfer Team (C64 only) have met
lots of disk collections that needed such cleanup (some even because of
mould etc).

They cut up each disk holster and clean the rotating part of the disk
with water - and a little soap (if needed) - and reinsert the disk into
a new holster if the original one is unusable.

While it may not be the correct scientific (chemical) solution it works
for them - I'll check up on the details.

/Uffe

On 2014-01-22 22:53, [hidden email] wrote:

> Sadly, for those kind of disks, I don't have any solution.
>
> Tous vos emails en 1 clic avec l'application SFR Mail sur iPhone et
> Android - En savoir plus
> <http://www.sfr.fr/telephonie-mobile/services-options/services-smartphones/applications-sfr/sfr-mail/android?sfrintid=M_email_signature>.

> Message du : 22/01/2014 22:50
> De : "Christian Dirks " <[hidden email]>
> A : [hidden email]
> Copie à :
> Sujet : Re: sx64 repair / C=Key
>

> Hi Hervé,
> I have some disks with the same problem.
> Was your cleaning successfull ?
> Could you describe, how you did it ?
>
> Christian
>
> Am 22.01.2014 21:41, schrieb [hidden email]:
>>
>> Hi, all
>>
>> Sorry for my previous "French" mail ... It was supposed to be
>> personaly adressed to Didier.
>>
>> I was telling about some brands of disks mostly Dysan and old pink
>> verbatim that use to have a sort of moisure on disk's surface ...
>> Those disks are almost certainly unreadable and will cause dirt to go
>> to the head ... and again, it'll need some cleaning. I'm used to use
>> cleaning disks with isopropyl alchool quite often.
>>
>> Regards - Hervé
>>
>> Tous vos emails en 1 clic avec l'application SFR Mail sur iPhone et
>> Android - En savoir plus
>> <http://www.sfr.fr/telephonie-mobile/services-options/services-smartphones/applications-sfr/sfr-mail/android?sfrintid=M_email_signature>.

>> Message du : 19/01/2014 08:08
>> De : "didier derny " <[hidden email]>
>> A : [hidden email]
>> Copie à :
>> Sujet : RE: sx64 repair / C=Key
>>

>> Not sure I had the right method...
>> I tried to clean the heads...
>>
>> When I started the cleaning almost all floppy disks failed.
>>
>> Now it's only about 1/3

Re: sx64 repair / C=Key

Julian Perry
As the sole and founding member of the Antipodean Floppy disk reformation and
reclamation association, I've also had some success with removal of
the disk from it's old sleeve, and cleaning radially with some of
those surgical alcohol swabs (in convenient, individual
condom-wrapper-sized packets). Pharmacists sell them very cheaply in
boxes of 100.

A genteel, non-violent method is recommended, or a rust-free, clean
mylar sheet can otherwise result (in the case of flaky media). Soapy
water works better, however, if fungal damage is present.
With care, (and an open 1541) is IS possible to run the disks without
the sleeve - this can reduce media wear when scraping the data quickly
from a dying disk.

Julian

> Hi,

> The members of the pan-european Disk Transfer Team (C64 only) have met
> lots of disk collections that needed such cleanup (some even because of
> mould etc).

> They cut up each disk holster and clean the rotating part of the disk
> with water - and a little soap (if needed) - and reinsert the disk into
> a new holster if the original one is unusable.

> While it may not be the correct scientific (chemical) solution it works
> for them - I'll check up on the details.

> /Uffe

> On 2014-01-22 22:53, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Sadly, for those kind of disks, I don't have any solution.
>>
>> Tous vos emails en 1 clic avec l'application SFR Mail sur iPhone et
>> Android - En savoir plus
>> <http://www.sfr.fr/telephonie-mobile/services-options/services-smartphones/applications-sfr/sfr-mail/android?sfrintid=M_email_signature>.

>> Message du : 22/01/2014 22:50
>> De : "Christian Dirks " <[hidden email]>
>> A : [hidden email]
>> Copie à :
>> Sujet : Re: sx64 repair / C=Key
>>

>> Hi Hervé,
>> I have some disks with the same problem.
>> Was your cleaning successfull ?
>> Could you describe, how you did it ?
>>
>> Christian
>>
>> Am 22.01.2014 21:41, schrieb [hidden email]:
>>>
>>> Hi, all
>>>
>>> Sorry for my previous "French" mail ... It was supposed to be
>>> personaly adressed to Didier.
>>>
>>> I was telling about some brands of disks mostly Dysan and old pink
>>> verbatim that use to have a sort of moisure on disk's surface ...
>>> Those disks are almost certainly unreadable and will cause dirt to go
>>> to the head ... and again, it'll need some cleaning. I'm used to use
>>> cleaning disks with isopropyl alchool quite often.
>>>
>>> Regards - Hervé
>>>
>>> Tous vos emails en 1 clic avec l'application SFR Mail sur iPhone et
>>> Android - En savoir plus
>>> <http://www.sfr.fr/telephonie-mobile/services-options/services-smartphones/applications-sfr/sfr-mail/android?sfrintid=M_email_signature>.

>>> Message du : 19/01/2014 08:08
>>> De : "didier derny " <[hidden email]>
>>> A : [hidden email]
>>> Copie à :
>>> Sujet : RE: sx64 repair / C=Key
>>>

>>> Not sure I had the right method...
>>> I tried to clean the heads...
>>>
>>> When I started the cleaning almost all floppy disks failed.
>>>
>>> Now it's only about 1/3

 Julian                            mailto:[hidden email]