reading 360K MS-DOS disks in a 1571?

Francesco Messineo
Hi all,
in theory, a C1571 drive can read MFM 360K ms-dos disks, so does a C64
(no C128 here) program exist for reading/writing such disks?
Thanks

Re: reading 360K MS-DOS disks in a 1571?

Groepaz
Am Dienstag, 24. Juli 2018, 15:54:37 CEST schrieb Francesco Messineo:
> Hi all,
> in theory, a C1571 drive can read MFM 360K ms-dos disks, so does a C64
> (no C128 here) program exist for reading/writing such disks?
> Thanks

big blue reader (or little red reader, which is the "free" version)

--

http://hitmen.eu                 http://ar.pokefinder.org
http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net  http://magicdisk.untergrund.net

Perhaps there should be a new 'quantum' datatype; you would be able to take
its address or value, but not both simultaneously.
<Michael Shields>

Re: reading 360K MS-DOS disks in a 1571?

Bill Degnan
There is a program called BlueReader that could read certain kinds of datafiles.

(I did not test this, but iit's worth a try)

Bill

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 9:56 AM Francesco Messineo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,
in theory, a C1571 drive can read MFM 360K ms-dos disks, so does a C64
(no C128 here) program exist for reading/writing such disks?
Thanks

Re: reading 360K MS-DOS disks in a 1571?

Francesco Messineo
Thanks, I'll try it :)

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 4:03 PM, Bill Degnan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is a program called BlueReader that could read certain kinds of
> datafiles.
>
> http://www.vintagecomputer.net/commodore/64/d64_library/utilities/big_blue_reader_64.d64
>
> (I did not test this, but iit's worth a try)
>
> Bill
>
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 9:56 AM Francesco Messineo
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> in theory, a C1571 drive can read MFM 360K ms-dos disks, so does a C64
>> (no C128 here) program exist for reading/writing such disks?
>> Thanks
>>
>> Frank

Re: reading 360K MS-DOS disks in a 1571?

traymond160
GEOS had GeoDos app can also read MS-Dos 😁

Terry Raymond

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018, 8:12 AM Francesco Messineo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, I'll try it :)

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 4:03 PM, Bill Degnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There is a program called BlueReader that could read certain kinds of
> datafiles.
>
> http://www.vintagecomputer.net/commodore/64/d64_library/utilities/big_blue_reader_64.d64
>
> (I did not test this, but iit's worth a try)
>
> Bill
>
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 9:56 AM Francesco Messineo
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> in theory, a C1571 drive can read MFM 360K ms-dos disks, so does a C64
>> (no C128 here) program exist for reading/writing such disks?
>> Thanks
>>
>> Frank

Re: reading 360K MS-DOS disks in a 1571?

André Fachat

Am 24. Juli 2018 8:23:24 PM schrieb Terry Raymond <[hidden email]>:

> GEOS had GeoDos app can also read MS-Dos 😁

As can BDOS http://www.6502.org/users/andre/misc/index.html

But wasn't the question about the C64? IIRC the MFM disk access was only working with fast IEC, which the C64 only supports with some additional hardware connecting the CIA shift registers from the userport with IEC.

Or did I miss anything?

André

Am Dienstag, 24. Juli 2018, 21:37:01 CEST schrieb André Fachat:

> Am 24. Juli 2018 8:23:24 PM schrieb Terry Raymond <[hidden email]>:
> > GEOS had GeoDos app can also read MS-Dos 😁
>
> As can BDOS http://www.6502.org/users/andre/misc/index.html
>
> But wasn't the question about the C64? IIRC the MFM disk access was only
> working with fast IEC, which the C64 only supports with some additional
> hardware connecting the CIA shift registers from the userport with IEC.
>
> Or did I miss anything?

na, why would it only work in burst mode?

--

http://hitmen.eu                 http://ar.pokefinder.org
http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net  http://magicdisk.untergrund.net

A critic is a man who knows the way but can't drive the car.
<Kenneth Tynan>

Nope, that's why I suggested the LittleBlueReader.     This program is limited though.  I'd stick with the uIEC

Re: reading 360K MS-DOS disks in a 1571?

> On 2018-07-24, at 21:37, André Fachat <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Am 24. Juli 2018 8:23:24 PM schrieb Terry Raymond <[hidden email]>:
>
> > GEOS had GeoDos app can also read MS-Dos 😁
>
> As can BDOS http://www.6502.org/users/andre/misc/index.html
>
> But wasn't the question about the C64? IIRC the MFM disk access was only working with fast IEC, which the C64 only supports with some additional hardware connecting the CIA shift registers from the userport with IEC.
>
> Or did I miss anything?

Memory may not serve well but I would still bet with reasonable confidence that I did read PC-DOS disks with C64, without any add-ons for "fast IEC".

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 9:22 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 2018-07-24, at 21:37, André Fachat <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Am 24. Juli 2018 8:23:24 PM schrieb Terry Raymond <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> > GEOS had GeoDos app can also read MS-Dos 😁
>>
>> As can BDOS http://www.6502.org/users/andre/misc/index.html
>>
>> But wasn't the question about the C64? IIRC the MFM disk access was only working with fast IEC, which the C64 only supports with some additional hardware connecting the CIA shift registers from the userport with IEC.
>>
>> Or did I miss anything?
>
> Memory may not serve well but I would still bet with reasonable confidence that I did read PC-DOS disks with C64, without any add-ons for "fast IEC".

Don't worry, I'll report what are the results, once I repair the 1571
(currently isn't willing to work). It just takes some time to be
stolen from the rest of life.

André Fachat wrote:

> IIRC the MFM disk access was only working with fast IEC

Definitely not. I wrote a program 20 years ago that accessed MFM disks
on a 1570 from the C64. I did not have enough expertise to read standard
Pc disks, but it updated the first sectors with disk layout information
and appropriate FAT so that MS-DOS could use the disk with 128 byte sectors.

RE: reading 360K MS-DOS disks in a 1571?

Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud)
Hallo Michał,

> ... so that MS-DOS could use the disk with 128 byte sectors.

Why 128 bytes? I rather would have expected 256 bytes instead of the original 512.

Re: reading 360K MS-DOS disks in a 1571?

Michał Pleban
Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud) wrote:

> Why 128 bytes? I rather would have expected 256 bytes instead of the original 512.

If I remember correctly, CP/M disks have 128-byte sectors. But it was
long time ago, so I might be wrong here and it might have been indeed
256 bytes. However, the point was that the format was different from
standard 512-byte sectors so a custom Disk Parameter Block was necessary
in the first sector. I did not know how to format the disk with 512-byte
sectors, nor how to read such disks.