modem/300 (fwd)

Marko Mäkelä-2
Does someone here know the Commodore 1660 modem?  I don't have any
experience in using modems with C= equipment.

        Marko

Re: modem/300 (fwd)

Andre Fachat
Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> Does someone here know the Commodore 1660 modem?  I don't have any
> experience in using modems with C= equipment.

Me neither, but...

> My question is can this "audio" input be used somehow like a soundcard?
> Because essentially a MODEM is a MOdulator/DEModulator, i.e. a D/A/A/D
> convertor...  I would be connecting it to a first generation VIC-20.

It is not exactly a D/A/A/D converter. Because the 300 baud modem
uses only two frequencies (one to indicate a 0-bit and one for a 1-bit)
it:

a) only has two filters that detect the presence of one of the two
   frequencies (+/- filter width) on the receiving side.
   The result is signaled to the computer as one bit - on or off.

b) only has two frequency generators, one for each of the two
   used frequencies. The computer switches the frequency by one
   output bit.

So I guess using it as a soundcard is bit off in this case...

Andre

--
Email address may be invalid. Use "fachat AT physik DOT tu-chemnitz DOT de"
------Fight SPAM - join CAUCE http://www.cauce.org------Thanks, spammers...

Re: modem/300 (fwd)

Robin Harbron
> My question is can this "audio" input be used somehow like a soundcard?
> Because essentially a MODEM is a MOdulator/DEModulator, i.e. a D/A/A/D
> convertor...  I would be connecting it to a first generation VIC-20.

I'm at work, and my modem's at home, so I can't verify this
right now - but I'm pretty sure that the audio jack is an
output, not an input - it's just so you can attach a speaker
to the modem.

I'll play with mine over the weekend to verify this.
--
Robin Harbron    [hidden email]
   http://www.tbaytel.net/macbeth

Re: modem/300 (fwd)

Geoff Oltmans
Marko Mäkelä wrote:

> Does someone here know the Commodore 1660 modem?  I don't have any
> experience in using modems with C= equipment.
>
>         Marko

Yeah, this connector is where you plug the audio output from the
computer into. Basically, the modem can't dial by itself, so it uses the
SID to generate the dial tones. Cute, eh? :)

The modem came with a cable to do this, which plugged into the A/V
connector, and had another connector to go to your monitor.

*Geoff!*
-
This message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list.
To unsubscribe: echo unsubscribe | mail [hidden email].

Re: modem/300 (fwd)

Danny O'Day
The 1660 was actually unable to dial, but used the sid to generate the tones
necessary to dial.  The audio jack is an audio in, which is buffered directly
out to the phone line.  The 1670 was really the first modem which was able to
dial (tone) on its own.  If you dont have the cable for the 1660, it can be
used as a pulse dialer, just like the older modems would (except for the 1600,
which used the connector from the handset, hi tech accoustic coupler
technology).  The 1650 was the first auto answer modem.

Does anyone still have the dos version of Punter protocol, or Midwest
protocol?  I used to have them when I ran my BBS years ago..

Marko Mäkelä wrote:

> Does someone here know the Commodore 1660 modem?  I don't have any
> experience in using modems with C= equipment.
>
>         Marko

William Levak-2

I have both the modem and the manual that came with it.  The RCA type jack
is an audio output.  It can be configured several ways.  You can feed the
output to the audio input on the C64.  This sound will then be fed to the
RF modulator in the C64 which, when connected to a TV, will allow the dial
tone, ringing and answer tones to be heard on the TV.   If you use a
monitor, the modem audio output is fed directly to the audio input on the
monitor.