commodore superpet mapping

Didier Derny

if I saw this machine in 1981, I never really had the opportunity to
play with it
Initially I thought the 6809 was running on it's ram and communicating
with the 6502...
(a bit like the madison zram with it's z80)

recently I found the schematics of the superpet board (combined one)
Finally  (apparently according what I saw)
1/  either the  6809  or the 6502 is running ?
       6809 stopped by the dma   ?
       6502 stopped by shutting down the power  ?
2/ the extra memory is only accessed as 16 page s of 4k in 9000 ?

3/ it add a serial port

4/ a protection dongle

Initially I thought the 6809 was running on it's ram and communicating
with the 6502...

how are the rom decoded ?  I dont really understand...
the standard rom are only 'seen' by the 6502 ?
the extra rom only 'seen' by the 6809 ? and mapped at the same place ?

--
didier

Re: commodore superpet mapping

Rhialto
On Tue 01 Nov 2016 at 13:53:03 +0100, didier derny wrote:
> if I saw this machine in 1981, I never really had the opportunity to
> play with it
> Initially I thought the 6809 was running on it's ram and communicating
> with the 6502...
> (a bit like the madison zram with it's z80)
>
> recently I found the schematics of the superpet board (combined one)
> Finally  (apparently according what I saw)
> 1/  either the  6809  or the 6502 is running ?

Yes, only one at a time.

>       6809 stopped by the dma   ?

There is a hardware switch which usually controls which cpu runs. The
changeover actually happens during RESET, if I remember well. Although
there is also a setting on the switch to control it by software.
However that isn't implemented in VICE I think. I haven't seen any
software which uses it, so there is no info coming from that direction.

>       6502 stopped by shutting down the power  ?
> 2/ the extra memory is only accessed as 16 page s of 4k in 9000 ?

Yes.

> 3/ it add a serial port
>
> 4/ a protection dongle

The 6702, which was reverse engineered by this mailinglist and me.

> Initially I thought the 6809 was running on it's ram and communicating
> with the 6502...
>
> how are the rom decoded ?  I dont really understand...
> the standard rom are only 'seen' by the 6502 ?
> the extra rom only 'seen' by the 6809 ? and mapped at the same place ?

Yes, each CPU sees only its own ROMs even though they are mapped to the
same address range.

You can play with it in VICE, select the SuperPET model, and find the
Waterloo software disk images. The 6809 is not emulated cycle-exact, but
it is fairly close and apparently good enough for the normal SuperPET
software.

> didier
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- Wayland: Those who don't understand X
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- are condemned to reinvent it. Poorly.

Re: commodore superpet mapping

André Fachat
You may want to have a look at
http://www.6502.org/users/andre/petindex/superpet.html

Am 1. November 2016 14:26:08 schrieb Rhialto <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue 01 Nov 2016 at 13:53:03 +0100, didier derny wrote:
>> if I saw this machine in 1981, I never really had the opportunity to
>> play with it
>> Initially I thought the 6809 was running on it's ram and communicating
>> with the 6502...
>> (a bit like the madison zram with it's z80)
>>
>> recently I found the schematics of the superpet board (combined one)
>> Finally  (apparently according what I saw)
>> 1/  either the  6809  or the 6502 is running ?
>
> Yes, only one at a time.
>
>>       6809 stopped by the dma   ?
>
> There is a hardware switch which usually controls which cpu runs. The
> changeover actually happens during RESET, if I remember well. Although
> there is also a setting on the switch to control it by software.
> However that isn't implemented in VICE I think. I haven't seen any
> software which uses it, so there is no info coming from that direction.
>
>>       6502 stopped by shutting down the power  ?
>> 2/ the extra memory is only accessed as 16 page s of 4k in 9000 ?
>
> Yes.
>
>> 3/ it add a serial port
>>
>> 4/ a protection dongle
>
> The 6702, which was reverse engineered by this mailinglist and me.
>
>> Initially I thought the 6809 was running on it's ram and communicating
>> with the 6502...
>>
>> how are the rom decoded ?  I dont really understand...
>> the standard rom are only 'seen' by the 6502 ?
>> the extra rom only 'seen' by the 6809 ? and mapped at the same place ?
>
> Yes, each CPU sees only its own ROMs even though they are mapped to the
> same address range.
>
> You can play with it in VICE, select the SuperPET model, and find the
> Waterloo software disk images. The 6809 is not emulated cycle-exact, but
> it is fairly close and apparently good enough for the normal SuperPET
> software.
>
>> didier
> -Olaf.
> --
> ___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- Wayland: Those who don't understand X
> \X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- are condemned to reinvent it. Poorly.

Re: commodore superpet mapping

Hi

it's interesting it looks simpler that I expected...
I have 2 projects:
one is to make a board with the following functionalities
     - something like the 6502  rom/ram board
       extended to implement the 64k extension
       I could also extend it to support the superpet ram (enough ram
available in one chip)
     - vga output
     - usb keyboard

the idea is to have all the fonctions I need with a small board
connected between the cpu and the keyboard connector...

   one is to make a 6809 board in fact I could have both processor

On 01/11/2016 14:26, Rhialto wrote:

> On Tue 01 Nov 2016 at 13:53:03 +0100, didier derny wrote:
>> if I saw this machine in 1981, I never really had the opportunity to
>> play with it
>> Initially I thought the 6809 was running on it's ram and communicating
>> with the 6502...
>> (a bit like the madison zram with it's z80)
>>
>> recently I found the schematics of the superpet board (combined one)
>> Finally  (apparently according what I saw)
>> 1/  either the  6809  or the 6502 is running ?
> Yes, only one at a time.
>
>>        6809 stopped by the dma   ?
> There is a hardware switch which usually controls which cpu runs. The
> changeover actually happens during RESET, if I remember well. Although
> there is also a setting on the switch to control it by software.
> However that isn't implemented in VICE I think. I haven't seen any
> software which uses it, so there is no info coming from that direction.
>
>>        6502 stopped by shutting down the power  ?
>> 2/ the extra memory is only accessed as 16 page s of 4k in 9000 ?
> Yes.
>
>> 3/ it add a serial port
>>
>> 4/ a protection dongle
> The 6702, which was reverse engineered by this mailinglist and me.
>
>> Initially I thought the 6809 was running on it's ram and communicating
>> with the 6502...
>>
>> how are the rom decoded ?  I dont really understand...
>> the standard rom are only 'seen' by the 6502 ?
>> the extra rom only 'seen' by the 6809 ? and mapped at the same place ?
> Yes, each CPU sees only its own ROMs even though they are mapped to the
> same address range.
>
> You can play with it in VICE, select the SuperPET model, and find the
> Waterloo software disk images. The 6809 is not emulated cycle-exact, but
> it is fairly close and apparently good enough for the normal SuperPET
> software.
>
>> didier
> -Olaf.

Re: commodore superpet mapping

thanks André, really interesting....

On 01/11/2016 15:45, André Fachat wrote:

> You may want to have a look at
> http://www.6502.org/users/andre/petindex/superpet.html
>
> Regards,
> André
>

> Am 1. November 2016 14:26:08 schrieb Rhialto <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On Tue 01 Nov 2016 at 13:53:03 +0100, didier derny wrote:
>>> if I saw this machine in 1981, I never really had the opportunity to
>>> play with it
>>> Initially I thought the 6809 was running on it's ram and communicating
>>> with the 6502...
>>> (a bit like the madison zram with it's z80)
>>>
>>> recently I found the schematics of the superpet board (combined one)
>>> Finally  (apparently according what I saw)
>>> 1/  either the  6809  or the 6502 is running ?
>>
>> Yes, only one at a time.
>>
>>>       6809 stopped by the dma   ?
>>
>> There is a hardware switch which usually controls which cpu runs. The
>> changeover actually happens during RESET, if I remember well. Although
>> there is also a setting on the switch to control it by software.
>> However that isn't implemented in VICE I think. I haven't seen any
>> software which uses it, so there is no info coming from that direction.
>>
>>>       6502 stopped by shutting down the power  ?
>>> 2/ the extra memory is only accessed as 16 page s of 4k in 9000 ?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> 3/ it add a serial port
>>>
>>> 4/ a protection dongle
>>
>> The 6702, which was reverse engineered by this mailinglist and me.
>>
>>> Initially I thought the 6809 was running on it's ram and communicating
>>> with the 6502...
>>>
>>> how are the rom decoded ?  I dont really understand...
>>> the standard rom are only 'seen' by the 6502 ?
>>> the extra rom only 'seen' by the 6809 ? and mapped at the same place ?
>>
>> Yes, each CPU sees only its own ROMs even though they are mapped to the
>> same address range.
>>
>> You can play with it in VICE, select the SuperPET model, and find the
>> Waterloo software disk images. The 6809 is not emulated cycle-exact, but
>> it is fairly close and apparently good enough for the normal SuperPET
>> software.
>>
>>> didier
>> -Olaf.
>> --
>> ___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- Wayland: Those who don't understand X
>> \X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- are condemned to reinvent it. Poorly.

Re: commodore superpet mapping

btw  any way to use Vice with a french keyboard ?

tried many times and gave up...