chip compilers

traymond
Hi all,

What are GAL chips?
I have heard of Custom Gal's

Re: chip compilers

Jim Brain
On 10/18/2016 6:57 PM, Terry Raymond wrote:
Hi all,

What are GAL chips?
I have heard of Custom Gal's

Terry Raymond

Terry,

While it is true cbm-hackers is a place to find answers, I doubt anyone will respond to this kind of question.

For one, the answers are available via Google, and I would suggest you check there first.

Second, GALs are not a piece of CBM hardware in general.  This list only discusses commodore specific things.

Re: chip compilers

Hi Terry,

GAL are programmable components a kind of advanced PAL,  a GAL is more generic than a PAL and can be reprogrammed several time
useful if you are designing some prototype but these chips are deprecated and not really suitable for a production
we often find them in some small series of tools for commodore or old machine like:  http://vic-20.de/x1541/hardware/petram.html
(in that case the gal can be reprogrammed to change the mapping in memory, it would not be possible with a 'fixed'  logic)

you would find more information on electronic  forum / mailing list  or from company that were making the GAL
such as:  http://www.latticesemi.com or http://www.atmel.com

http://www.interfacebus.com/Programmable_Logic.html

--
didier

On 19/10/2016 01:57, Terry Raymond wrote:
Hi all,

What are GAL chips?
I have heard of Custom Gal's

Re: chip compilers

Terry Raymond wrote:

> What are GAL chips?
> I have heard of Custom Gal's

You are probably familiar with the Signetics PLA chips which are used in
many Commodore computers. A GAL is similar to these PLAs, only it is
re-programmable so can be repurposed.