c64 / vic 20 power supply replacement

Didier Derny
Hi

Is there any existing replacement for c64 power supply ?
I have 2, one with round connector for c64 / vic 2 and one with square
connector for plus4
both are heating like hell, in no time and have a really bad smell...

I found one replacement on ebay but apparently not working in europe...
I tried to contact the vendor but no answer...
I found some people using 2 power supply  5v from usb  and 9v ac from an
external 9v ac power supply

any way to produce the 9vac from  DC ?
there is the problem of galvanic isolation...

--
didier

Re: c64 / vic 20 power supply replacement

Francesco Messineo
On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 9:37 AM, Didier Derny <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is there any existing replacement for c64 power supply ?
> I have 2, one with round connector for c64 / vic 2 and one with square
> connector for plus4
> both are heating like hell, in no time and have a really bad smell...
>
> I found one replacement on ebay but apparently not working in europe... I
> tried to contact the vendor but no answer...
> I found some people using 2 power supply  5v from usb  and 9v ac from an
> external 9v ac power supply

I made my own with a switching board supplying +5V and +12V and then a
simple transformer for 9V AC. All fused separately.
(12V isn't needed for the C64, but I also have a 1541-II).

> any way to produce the 9vac from  DC ?
> there is the problem of galvanic isolation...

yes there's a way, but I think you need an inverter-like electronics
with a transformer to float the 9V ac with respect to the +5V ground.

Re: c64 / vic 20 power supply replacement

hegedusis

I have modified my round connector Plus4 power supply. I have thrown out the
PCB inside and only kept the transformer. Then I designed a new PCB which
has rectifier and a DC-DC bucket converter for the 5v part (LM2596-5).
Like this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-DC-DC-LM2596-Step-Down-Adjustable-Power-Supply-Module-Converter-/142161468055?hash=item21197bda97:g:8GQAAOSw-YVXmcae

It works fine and fits the original power supply however I had to change the
LM2596 to a fixed voltage version because I have noticed that even if I set
the output voltage with potmeters, with time it slowly changes voltage. I
wanted stable 5 volts.

Istvan

On 10/28/2016 2:37 AM, Didier Derny wrote:
Hi

Is there any existing replacement for c64 power supply ?
I have 2, one with round connector for c64 / vic 2 and one with square connector for plus4
both are heating like hell, in no time and have a really bad smell...

I found one replacement on ebay but apparently not working in europe... I tried to contact the vendor but no answer...
I found some people using 2 power supply  5v from usb  and 9v ac from an external 9v ac power supply

any way to produce the 9vac from  DC ?
there is the problem of galvanic isolation...

--
didier

Bil Herd (who lurks here) came up with an idea for such an option, using 2 FETs, a small transformer, and a 5V PSU.  As he's stepped away from the effort, I am retooling it for a 12V switching PSU, which will provide both voltages from a single 12 volt source.  It'll have a small time source to generate either 50Hz or 60Hz AC, selectable via jumper/switch.

Have not had time to work on it this year, but need to get it off my bench...

Re: c64 / vic 20 power supply replacement

Gerrit Heitsch
On 10/28/2016 08:35 PM, Jim Brain wrote:

> On 10/28/2016 2:37 AM, Didier Derny wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Is there any existing replacement for c64 power supply ?
>> I have 2, one with round connector for c64 / vic 2 and one with square
>> connector for plus4
>> both are heating like hell, in no time and have a really bad smell...
>>
>> I found one replacement on ebay but apparently not working in
>> europe... I tried to contact the vendor but no answer...
>> I found some people using 2 power supply  5v from usb  and 9v ac from
>> an external 9v ac power supply
>>
>> any way to produce the 9vac from  DC ?
>> there is the problem of galvanic isolation...
>>
>> --
>> didier

> Bil Herd (who lurks here) came up with an idea for such an option, using
> 2 FETs, a small transformer, and a 5V PSU.  As he's stepped away from
> the effort, I am retooling it for a 12V switching PSU, which will
> provide both voltages from a single 12 volt source.  It'll have a small
> time source to generate either 50Hz or 60Hz AC, selectable via
> jumper/switch.
>
> Have not had time to work on it this year, but need to get it off my
> bench...

I found it easier to just open up the PSU, remove the rectifier,
capacitor and 78S05 regulator. Then add a better rectifier, capacitor
and a switching regulator. The latter you can get on a small PCB on ebay
cheaply. I like the boards based on the MP1584.

 From the outside the result looks the same, the PSU no longer runs hot,
you get the real 9V AC and, on the +5V, you get more than the 1.5A the
old PSU gave you.

Re: c64 / vic 20 power supply replacement

Francesco Messineo
On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 8:47 PM, Gerrit Heitsch
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I found it easier to just open up the PSU, remove the rectifier, capacitor
> and 78S05 regulator. Then add a better rectifier, capacitor and a switching
> regulator. The latter you can get on a small PCB on ebay cheaply. I like the
> boards based on the MP1584.
>
> From the outside the result looks the same, the PSU no longer runs hot, you
> get the real 9V AC and, on the +5V, you get more than the 1.5A the old PSU
> gave you.

this would be great if only the European PSUs weren't filled with
epoxy, making them
virtually unfixables :(

Re: c64 / vic 20 power supply replacement

any magic trick to remove the rectifier and capacitor ?

I opened 2 power supply   1 for c64 (round connector) and 1 for plus4
(square connector)

the one for c64 the 7805 is glued at the bottom in something really
hard.... seems out of reach

it seems impossible to remove the pcb without breaking something...

on the one for plus4 it seems possible to cut the 7805 leg and to remove
the pcb...

I'll try your solution on the plus4 power supply

thanks

On 28/10/2016 20:47, Gerrit Heitsch wrote:

> On 10/28/2016 08:35 PM, Jim Brain wrote:
>> On 10/28/2016 2:37 AM, Didier Derny wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Is there any existing replacement for c64 power supply ?
>>> I have 2, one with round connector for c64 / vic 2 and one with square
>>> connector for plus4
>>> both are heating like hell, in no time and have a really bad smell...
>>>
>>> I found one replacement on ebay but apparently not working in
>>> europe... I tried to contact the vendor but no answer...
>>> I found some people using 2 power supply  5v from usb  and 9v ac from
>>> an external 9v ac power supply
>>>
>>> any way to produce the 9vac from  DC ?
>>> there is the problem of galvanic isolation...
>>>
>>> --
>>> didier

>> Bil Herd (who lurks here) came up with an idea for such an option, using
>> 2 FETs, a small transformer, and a 5V PSU.  As he's stepped away from
>> the effort, I am retooling it for a 12V switching PSU, which will
>> provide both voltages from a single 12 volt source.  It'll have a small
>> time source to generate either 50Hz or 60Hz AC, selectable via
>> jumper/switch.
>>
>> Have not had time to work on it this year, but need to get it off my
>> bench...
>
> I found it easier to just open up the PSU, remove the rectifier,
> capacitor and 78S05 regulator. Then add a better rectifier, capacitor
> and a switching regulator. The latter you can get on a small PCB on
> ebay cheaply. I like the boards based on the MP1584.
>
> From the outside the result looks the same, the PSU no longer runs
> hot, you get the real 9V AC and, on the +5V, you get more than the
> 1.5A the old PSU gave you.
>
>  Gerrit

Re: c64 / vic 20 power supply replacement

Were the power connectors (input power from ppwer source) Din round connector)
specially made in Japan and not made anymore, seems trying to find these in Electronics suppliers the solder pins come close but just wont lineup.

This is all I could think of as far as the Din and even the C64/C128 power switch just
not available so rob these parts from parted out units.

Terry Raymond

On Friday, October 28, 2016, didier derny <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From the outside the result looks the same, the PSU no longer runs hot, you get the real 9V AC and, on the +5V, you get more than the 1.5A the old PSU gave you.

On 10/28/2016 09:11 PM, Francesco Messineo wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 8:47 PM, Gerrit Heitsch
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> I found it easier to just open up the PSU, remove the rectifier, capacitor
>> and 78S05 regulator. Then add a better rectifier, capacitor and a switching
>> regulator. The latter you can get on a small PCB on ebay cheaply. I like the
>> boards based on the MP1584.
>>
>> From the outside the result looks the same, the PSU no longer runs hot, you
>> get the real 9V AC and, on the +5V, you get more than the 1.5A the old PSU
>> gave you.
>
> this would be great if only the European PSUs weren't filled with
> epoxy, making them
> virtually unfixables :(

Depends on the PSU... The early ones (*) have only the transformer part
filled with resin. The part that contains the capacitor and rectifier is
hollow. The only problem is to get the bottom off, but that's easy once
you figure out how it's done. Once the bottom is off, you have access to
everything you need to replace the regulator.

The later, brick shaped, ones are fully filled with resin, rendering
them unfixable.

(*) I mean this shape: http://www.oxyron.de/pics/psu/psut2.jpg

Re: c64 / vic 20 power supply replacement

Francesco Messineo
On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 9:39 PM, Gerrit Heitsch
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/28/2016 09:11 PM, Francesco Messineo wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 8:47 PM, Gerrit Heitsch
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> I found it easier to just open up the PSU, remove the rectifier,
>>> capacitor
>>> and 78S05 regulator. Then add a better rectifier, capacitor and a
>>> switching
>>> regulator. The latter you can get on a small PCB on ebay cheaply. I like
>>> the
>>> boards based on the MP1584.
>>>
>>> From the outside the result looks the same, the PSU no longer runs hot,
>>> you
>>> get the real 9V AC and, on the +5V, you get more than the 1.5A the old
>>> PSU
>>> gave you.
>>

>> this would be great if only the European PSUs weren't filled with
>> epoxy, making them
>> virtually unfixables :(
>

> Depends on the PSU... The early ones (*) have only the transformer part
> filled with resin. The part that contains the capacitor and rectifier is
> hollow. The only problem is to get the bottom off, but that's easy once you
> figure out how it's done. Once the bottom is off, you have access to
> everything you need to replace the regulator.

hm you give me a great hope. I have a few "early" ones and only one of
the newer :)
I have definitely to figure out how to get off the bottom!

On 10/28/2016 09:36 PM, Terry Raymond wrote:
> Were the power connectors (input power from ppwer source) Din round
> connector)
> specially made in Japan and not made anymore, seems trying to find these
> in Electronics suppliers the solder pins come close but just wont lineup.

And least the plug is available. It's called 'MAS70S', I can easily get it.

> This is all I could think of as far as the Din and even the C64/C128
> power switch just
> not available so rob these parts from parted out units.

As for the power switch, you can adapt a wide range of switches.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122089316157 will work. You only have to replace
the rocker with the one from the old, broken switch.

On 10/28/2016 09:42 PM, Francesco Messineo wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 9:39 PM, Gerrit Heitsch
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 10/28/2016 09:11 PM, Francesco Messineo wrote:

>>> this would be great if only the European PSUs weren't filled with
>>> epoxy, making them
>>> virtually unfixables :(
>>

>> Depends on the PSU... The early ones (*) have only the transformer part
>> filled with resin. The part that contains the capacitor and rectifier is
>> hollow. The only problem is to get the bottom off, but that's easy once you
>> figure out how it's done. Once the bottom is off, you have access to
>> everything you need to replace the regulator.
>
> hm you give me a great hope. I have a few "early" ones and only one of
> the newer :)
> I have definitely to figure out how to get off the bottom!

I use a flathead screwdriver and some (gentle) force. So far I've always
succeeded.

Important... Before removing the PCB, mark which lead is connected to
GND and which is +5V. The 78S05 has GND on the middle pin.

When using a board with the MP1584 from Ebay, adjust the voltage before
connecting to the C64. The boards I got were set to 10V.

Re: c64 / vic 20 power supply replacement

Justin-2
I was going to suggest that it probably would not be hard to modify a round DIN cable end by printing a different spacer to hold the pins but this seems like less work.

Justin

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

On 10/28/2016 09:51 PM, Terry Raymond wrote:
> Will any toggle switch adapt?

If it contains 2 independant switches it only depends on your mechanical
skills.

I was able to adapt a switch that would fit into a C16 or Plus/4 for use
in a C64. Looks a bit odd on the inside, but from the outside you don't
notice anything. Picture available by Email.

  Gerrit

> Terry Raymond
>
> On Friday, October 28, 2016, Gerrit Heitsch <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/28/2016 09:36 PM, Terry Raymond wrote:
>
>         Were the power connectors (input power from ppwer source) Din round
>         connector)
>         specially made in Japan and not made anymore, seems trying to
>         find these
>         in Electronics suppliers the solder pins come close but just
>         wont lineup.
>

>     And least the plug is available. It's called 'MAS70S', I can easily
>     get it.
>

>         This is all I could think of as far as the Din and even the C64/C128
>         power switch just
>         not available so rob these parts from parted out units.
>

>     As for the power switch, you can adapt a wide range of switches.
>
>     http://www.ebay.com/itm/122089316157
>     <http://www.ebay.com/itm/122089316157> will work. You only have to
>     replace the rocker with the one from the old, broken switch.
>
>      Gerrit
>

>           Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Re: c64 / vic 20 power supply replacement

I have the same as the one on your photographs  (no screws)   (black
square connector for plus4)
it seems possible to remove the pcb without too many difficulties
knowing that the old regulator will stay stuck in  the glue forever...

I also have this one:
http://www.breadbox64.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/IMG_8164.jpg
but the regulator and pcb seems badly stuck in the glue...
I fear to break something if I try to remove the pcb

On 28/10/2016 21:48, Gerrit Heitsch wrote:

> On 10/28/2016 09:36 PM, Terry Raymond wrote:
>> Were the power connectors (input power from ppwer source) Din round
>> connector)
>> specially made in Japan and not made anymore, seems trying to find these
>> in Electronics suppliers the solder pins come close but just wont
>> lineup.
>
> And least the plug is available. It's called 'MAS70S', I can easily
> get it.
>

>> This is all I could think of as far as the Din and even the C64/C128
>> power switch just
>> not available so rob these parts from parted out units.
>
> As for the power switch, you can adapt a wide range of switches.
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/122089316157 will work. You only have to
> replace the rocker with the one from the old, broken switch.
>
>  Gerrit

Re: c64 / vic 20 power supply replacement

A few years ago I picked up some C128DCR power supplies in bulk. I imagine they're still available if your willing to pay for a box of 10. They ended up being less than $10 each after taxes and shipping. You occasionally see these on ebay individually for about $40 each. All they would need is an enclosure and cable.

Steve

On 10/28/2016 10:04 PM, didier derny wrote:
> I have the same as the one on your photographs  (no screws)   (black
> square connector for plus4)
> it seems possible to remove the pcb without too many difficulties
> knowing that the old regulator will stay stuck in  the glue forever...

Yes, but since you don't want to use it, who cares. If you have one
where the rectifier is 4 x 1N4001, toss it. If you are the happy owner
of a PSU that contains a real bridge rectifier, you can recycle that
one, use a new capacitor and then the switching regulator.

> http://www.breadbox64.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/IMG_8164.jpg
> but the regulator and pcb seems badly stuck in the glue...
> I fear to break something if I try to remove the pcb

Well, all you really need to preserve is the transformer and the
integrity of the case. The transformer is hard to damage.