apprentice sorcerer...

Didier Derny
hi

I'm thinking to the following modification on the cbm 8032 motherboard
reinstall a regulator for 5v  (switched version)
reinstall a 5v regulator in place of 12v (switched version)
Inject +9v DC on the power supply connector for both 5v and 16v... AC

I hope to get:
+5v  normal place
+5v  in place of 12v
nothing on -5v
a bit less than 9v unregulated (for tape)

I did something similar on a tandy coco 2 and it works fine...

any idea ?  (the power supply of the cbm is more complex that the one on
the coco)...

--
didier

RE: apprentice sorcerer...

Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud)
Hallo Didier,

> any idea ?  (the power supply of the cbm is more complex that the one on the coco)...

I knew a guy who had problems with the power supply in his 3032. On the end we removed the transformer and the onboard regulators and replace the whole with a small PC power supply. Worked like a charm.

Regarding the 9V for the cassette recorder, he didn't need it. But IMHO it should be no problem in adding a 7809 regulator on the place of one of the old ones.

Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,
Ruud Baltissen

1�,j�j���a�����^q��i��ɚ�X��X��

Re: apprentice sorcerer...

Didier Derny
Hi

actually I'm using only 5v from an atx power supply

and a strap between +5  and +12 so that +12v is replaced by +5 for the 4164

the idea is to reinstall 2 regulator to have +5v generated by the cbm 8032

and +9v available (I'm planning to use a commodore datasette)

I dont want -9v anymore it is not used by the 4164 and is not uses
anywhere else

so the 7905 is removed "for ever" :)

On 12/10/2016 13:09, Baltissen wrote:

> Hallo Didier,
>

>> any idea ?  (the power supply of the cbm is more complex that the one on the coco)...
> I knew a guy who had problems with the power supply in his 3032. On the end we removed the transformer and the onboard regulators and replace the whole with a small PC power supply. Worked like a charm.
>
> Regarding the 9V for the cassette recorder, he didn't need it. But IMHO it should be no problem in adding a 7809 regulator on the place of one of the old ones.
>

> Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,
> Ruud Baltissen
>
> www.Baltissen.org
>

> De informatie in dit e-mailbericht is vertrouwelijk en uitsluitend bestemd voor de
> geadresseerde. Wanneer u dit bericht per abuis ontvangt, verzoeken wij u contact op te
> nemen met de afzender per kerende e-mail. Verder verzoeken wij u in dat geval dit
> e-mailbericht te vernietigen en de inhoud ervan aan niemand openbaar te maken.
> Wij aanvaarden geen aansprakelijkheid voor onjuiste, onvolledige dan wel ontijdige
> overbrenging van de inhoud van een verzonden e-mailbericht, noch voor daarbij
> overgebrachte virussen.
>
> APG Groep N.V. is gevestigd te Heerlen en is ingeschreven in het
> handelsregister van de Kamer van Koophandel Limburg onder nummer 14099617
>

> The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged.
> It may be read, copied and used only by the intended recipient.
> If you have received it in error, please contact the sender immediately by
> return e-mail; please delete in this case the e-mail and do not disclose its
> contents to any person. We don't accept liability for any errors, omissions,
> delays of receipt or viruses in the contents of this message which arise as a
> result of e-mail transmission.
>
> APG Groep N.V. is registered in the trade register of the Chamber
> of Commerce Limburg, The Netherlands, registration number: 14099617
> 1�,j�j���a�����^q��i��ɚ�X��X�t===

Re: apprentice sorcerer...

Mike Stein
All reversible of course... ;-)

How are you powering the display?

> I'm thinking to the following modification on the cbm 8032 motherboard
> reinstall a regulator for 5v  (switched version)
> reinstall a 5v regulator in place of 12v (switched version)
> Inject +9v DC on the power supply connector for both 5v and 16v... AC
>
> I hope to get:
> +5v  normal place
> +5v  in place of 12v
> nothing on -5v
> a bit less than 9v unregulated (for tape)
>
> I did something similar on a tandy coco 2 and it works fine...
>
> any idea ?  (the power supply of the cbm is more complex that the one on
> the coco)...
>
> --
> didier

Re: apprentice sorcerer...

Mike Stein
Just curious:

Am I the only one who receives posts from Ruud (and only Ruud, out of all my emails) with the content removed?

Any idea what's up?

Using XP/OE from Gmail; the Gmail version looks fine and there are no notifications from either Gmail or OE that something has been blocked or removed.

Re: apprentice sorcerer...

Hi :)

I dont have any display only a motherboard :)

actually  composite interface on flat screen...

in a few ways on vga...

yes reversible no flying wires, no tracks modified...
just a swap of a few components...

On 12/10/2016 19:39, Mike Stein wrote:

> All reversible of course... ;-)
>
> How are you powering the display?

Why do you need regulators if you're using an ATX supply?

> I dont have any display only a motherboard :)
>
> actually  composite interface on flat screen...
>
> in a few ways on vga...
>
> yes reversible no flying wires, no tracks modified...
> just a swap of a few components...
>

> On 12/10/2016 19:39, Mike Stein wrote:
>> All reversible of course... ;-)
>>
>> How are you powering the display?

the atx power supply is connected with flying wires...

some people blew a fuse when they saw a cherry tree :)

for me it's when I see flying wires :)

I guess I can have something nice with a single tension +9v

On 12/10/2016 21:19, Mike Stein wrote:

> Why do you need regulators if you're using an ATX supply?

So, you're going to use a 9V supply in the final version instead of the AT(X) ? Sounds good, but why *two* regulators?

> the atx power supply is connected with flying wires...
>

> some people blew a fuse when they saw a cherry tree :)
>
> for me it's when I see flying wires :)
>

> I guess I can have something nice with a single tension +9v
>

> On 12/10/2016 21:19, Mike Stein wrote:
>> Why do you need regulators if you're using an ATX supply?

I need +5 in place of +12 for the 4164

the idea is to replace the 12v regulator by a 5v regulator :)

so this way the board look the same :)  and no flying wire between +5
and +12

just a little adaptor to connecte the 9v power supply on J8

something easy to remove

On 12/10/2016 22:34, Mike Stein wrote:

> So, you're going to use a 9V supply in the final version instead of the AT(X) ? Sounds good, but why *two* regulators?

Ah, OK; so you're going to connect J8-2 to -8 or -9?

I think this time I'd have added a jumper on the board instead of replacing the regulator but yes that's a flying lead (but it doesn't fly far ;-).

Interesting hack to be sure, if you're going to replace the RAM chips anyway and don't need power for the display.

> the idea is to replace the 12v regulator by a 5v regulator :)
>
> so this way the board look the same :)  and no flying wire between +5
> and +12
>

> just a little adaptor to connecte the 9v power supply on J8
>
> something easy to remove
>

> On 12/10/2016 22:34, Mike Stein wrote:
>> So, you're going to use a 9V supply in the final version instead of the AT(X) ? Sounds good, but why *two* regulators?

yes, exactly

I'm thinking to use this product:  http://www.ezsbc.com/index.php/products/psu7.html

as it can accept up to 28v even if the board was powered with the standard power supply it would not do any harm...

if I wanted to restore the 12v and the 4116 I could use: http://www.ezsbc.com/index.php/products/psu6.html