Zoomfloppy won't work with IEEE

After I bought my ZF I put it away and then it was lost for some
years. To make a long story short: I just happen to find it last
week.

I installed everything according the site of Jim and the PDF. Things
work fine with my 1571. But the moment I disconnect the 1571 and
connect my 1001, CBMCTRL just says it is looking for drives and the
blue LED keeps flashing. Thinking it could be the error of CBMCTRL
because the help info only mentions the IEC bus, I tried D82COPY but
with the same result: a flashing LED.

Did I miss something or am I doing something wrong? Any help is
welcome!

Re: Zoomfloppy won't work with IEEE

Imre Széll
Hello, Ruud,

have you installed the latest software for the ZoomFloppy? Have you updated the firmware? I seem to remember that old versions did not support IEEE-488 but with version 2.0 it works.

Regards,
Imre

After I bought my ZF I put it away and then it was lost for some
years. To make a long story short: I just happen to find it last
week.

I installed everything according the site of Jim and the PDF. Things
work fine with my 1571. But the moment I disconnect the 1571 and
connect my 1001, CBMCTRL just says it is looking for drives and the
blue LED keeps flashing. Thinking it could be the error of CBMCTRL
because the help info only mentions the IEC bus, I tried D82COPY but
with the same result: a flashing LED.

Did I miss something or am I doing something wrong? Any help is
welcome!

Re: Zoomfloppy won't work with IEEE

william degnan

Dumb question...is your IEEE drive set to 8?

Bill Degnan
twitter: billdeg
vintagecomputer.net

On May 8, 2017 7:05 AM, "Imre Széll" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, Ruud,
>
> have you installed the latest software for the ZoomFloppy? Have you updated the firmware? I seem to remember that old versions did not support IEEE-488 but with version 2.0 it works.
>
> Regards,
> Imre

>> Hallo allemaal,
>>

>> After I bought my ZF I put it away and then it was lost for some
>> years. To make a long story short: I just happen to find it last
>> week.
>>
>> I installed everything according the site of Jim and the PDF. Things
>> work fine with my 1571. But the moment I disconnect the 1571 and
>> connect my 1001, CBMCTRL just says it is looking for drives and the
>> blue LED keeps flashing. Thinking it could be the error of CBMCTRL
>> because the help info only mentions the IEC bus, I tried D82COPY but
>> with the same result: a flashing LED.
>>
>> Did I miss something or am I doing something wrong? Any help is
>> welcome!
>>

>> --
>>
>> Kind regards / Met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen
>> www.Baltissen.org
>>

>>        Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Bill Degnan
twitter: billdeg
vintagecomputer.net

Re: Zoomfloppy won't work with IEEE

HÁRSFALVI Levente-2
Hi Ruud!,

On 2017-05-08 12:13, [hidden email] wrote:

> I installed everything according the site of Jim and the PDF. Things
> work fine with my 1571. But the moment I disconnect the 1571 and
> connect my 1001, CBMCTRL just says it is looking for drives and the
> blue LED keeps flashing. Thinking it could be the error of CBMCTRL
> because the help info only mentions the IEC bus, I tried D82COPY but
> with the same result: a flashing LED.

Make sure you're using a fairly recent build of openCBM, and you have
the latest firmware in the ZF. (There is a firmware tool in the software
bundle; that is, you can verify the version number of your current
firmware, and also install a new one if needed).

For a test, you can try using if the thing works on some older / slower
PC. (I'm suggesting this one because, some years ago, I had similar
problems using the ZF on a recent Intel i5 / USB3 notebook. Using this
machine + the ZF, the communication died with similar symptoms that
you're describing. At the same time, the thing worked flawlessly on an
old Athlon64 / USB2 PC. I don't know if the problem has been fixed /
possibly even reproduced by others in the meantime. And note that I only
ever attempted to use the ZF from under Linux.)

Also note that the ZF autodetects its intended mode of operation during
boot time. That is, make sure that the IEEE drive is connected to the
board while you're connecting it to the USB port, and no serial drives
are connected at the same time.

Best regards,

Levente

RE: Zoomfloppy won't work with IEEE

@Imre:
It is the version pointed to by Jim's site and it is 2.0

@William:
It is set to 8. I set the 1571 to 9 for the simple reason because the 1571 has dipswitches and the 1001 hasn't any at all. The idea was to have them connected at the same time just in case I encountered a floppy that couldn't be read by on of them. In that case I could try the other drive.

@Levente:
> Make sure you're using a fairly recent build of openCBM

Spiro mentioned 0.4.99 on the mailing list. I downloaded it but haven't installed it yet with the thought: if it is good or better, why isn't it mentioned on go4retro.

> I had similar problems using the ZF on a recent Intel i5 / USB3 notebook.

I'm using a i5 notebook indeed but using the USB2 port under W7. I'll try it on old P4-3GHz, W7.

RE: Zoomfloppy won't work with IEEE

Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud)
Oh, and thank you for the answers!

It is the version pointed to by Jim's site and it is 2.0

@William:
It is set to 8. I set the 1571 to 9 for the simple reason because the 1571 has dipswitches and the 1001 hasn't any at all. The idea was to have them connected at the same time just in case I encountered a floppy that couldn't be read by on of them. In that case I could try the other drive.

@Levente:
> Make sure you're using a fairly recent build of openCBM

Spiro mentioned 0.4.99 on the mailing list. I downloaded it but haven't installed it yet with the thought: if it is good or better, why isn't it mentioned on go4retro.

> I had similar problems using the ZF on a recent Intel i5 / USB3 notebook.

I'm using a i5 notebook indeed but using the USB2 port under W7. I'll try it on old P4-3GHz, W7.

Zoomfloppy with W7 +SFD1001 - no Problems!

vossi
Hello Ruud,

I built my own zoomfloppy (similar to Jim's) and it works perfectly with my SFD1001.
I don't know the driver version - but I built it a year ago and used the actual drivers from this time - I never downloaded new drivers oder firmware for the Atmega.

Also I used it with my 8250 and 8050. 500k Disks are working in the SFD1001 in the second access.
I used W7 in the past on an AMD-8-core and on my i7. It works on USB2 - I don't know, if I tried the USB3-port.
I normally use the great CBMxfer from Steve.

Now I completely changed to Mac OS 10.11 and for some old things I have two parallels virtual machines with W7 and XP. openCBM with CBMxfer works perfectly in this virtual machine under W7.

PS: I will never use W8+

greets
Christian

Re: Zoomfloppy with W7 +SFD1001 - no Problems!

Steve Gray
Hey Christian,

Thanks for the shout out! It's good to know that CBMXfer works in a VM on the Mac. I've had a few requests for a Mac version over the years but couldn't find a development environment to port to. CBMXfer is written in VB6, which is a little out of date (ok a LOT out of date, but then so is our hobby ;-) ).
CBMXfer (aka CBM-Transfer) is now open source so if anyone feels like porting it to something more modern go ahead! ;-)

Steve

On 5/9/2017 12:46 AM, Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud) wrote:
> Spiro mentioned 0.4.99 on the mailing list. I downloaded it but haven't installed it yet with the thought: if it is good or better, why isn't it mentioned on go4retro.
A combination of: "Jim lags a bit on updates to the site", and "Jim was
not sure the 0.4.99 was out of beta".