ZoomFloppy on Linux

The IEEE part of ZoomFloppy still doesn't work for me under Windows.
The IEC part does. So I decided to install Ubuntu 18.04 on an
obselete PC: P4-3 GHz, 6 MB RAM, 128 MB SSD.

I followed the instructions on Spiro's site and:

   http://www.baltissen.org/temp/Screenshot.png

It's clear usb.h is missing but in this case I have no idea where to
look for it. FYI: Ubuntu was installed just 10 minutes before.

Any idea what to do now (just consider me as a complete newbee
here)? Many thanks!

Re: ZoomFloppy on Linux

silverdr@wfmh.org.pl
I am not at my machine right now and it was some years ago already but I vaguely recall that I had to install 'lubusb-compat' or something similarly named to get the older API available.
--
Sent from mobile device. Please have understanding.

On 2 June 2018 14:02:19 CEST, [hidden email] wrote:

>Hallo allemaal,
>

>The IEEE part of ZoomFloppy still doesn't work for me under Windows.
>The IEC part does. So I decided to install Ubuntu 18.04 on an
>obselete PC: P4-3 GHz, 6 MB RAM, 128 MB SSD.
>
>I followed the instructions on Spiro's site and:
>
>   http://www.baltissen.org/temp/Screenshot.png
>
>It's clear usb.h is missing but in this case I have no idea where to
>look for it. FYI: Ubuntu was installed just 10 minutes before.
>
>Any idea what to do now (just consider me as a complete newbee
>here)? Many thanks!
>

>--
>
>Kind regards / Met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen
>www.Baltissen.org

Re: ZoomFloppy on Linux

Hello Ruud,

wouldn't it be better to ask on ZF or OpenCBM specific mailing lists?

* On Sat, Jun 02, 2018 at 02:02:19PM +0200 [hidden email] wrote:

> The IEEE part of ZoomFloppy still doesn't work for me under Windows.
> The IEC part does.

Do you work with 2031 only, or do you also use other IEEE drives? We
just came to the conclusion that the 2031 is specific in some case, and
it does not work. The other drives (8250, SFD1001, 8050, ...) seem to
work much better.

> So I decided to install Ubuntu 18.04 on an
> obselete PC: P4-3 GHz, 6 MB RAM, 128 MB SSD.
>
> I followed the instructions on Spiro's site and:
>
>    http://www.baltissen.org/temp/Screenshot.png
>
> It's clear usb.h is missing but in this case I have no idea where to
> look for it. FYI: Ubuntu was installed just 10 minutes before.

Just install the package libusb-dev. For example, by issuing

sudo apt install libusb-dev

Spiro R. Trikaliotis
http://www.trikaliotis.net/

Re: ZoomFloppy on Linux

> On 2018-06-02, at 14:19, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> I am not at my machine right now and it was some years ago already but I vaguely recall that I had to install 'lubusb-compat' or something similarly named to get the older API available.

Obviously it was 'lib...' not 'lub...' but maybe what Spiro wrote will be enough today.

Re: ZoomFloppy on Linux

* On Sat, Jun 02, 2018 at 03:08:35PM +0200 [hidden email] wrote:

> > On 2018-06-02, at 14:19, [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> > I am not at my machine right now and it was some years ago already but I vaguely recall that I had to install 'lubusb-compat' or something similarly named to get the older API available.
>
> Obviously it was 'lib...' not 'lub...' but maybe what Spiro wrote will be enough today.

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&keywords=libusb&searchon=names

You either need libusb-0.1-4 is runtime environment, if you use the
version 0.1 of libusb.

If you want to use libusb version 1.x, then you have to also install
libusb-compat.

However, the libusb-dev is for getting the development environment of
libusb, that is, the headers and the libs. It depends upon libusb-0.1-4,
that is, if you install the -dev package, you also get the runtime
package.

Note, however, that the runtime package (without -dev) is *not* enough
to compile OpenCBM.

Spiro R. Trikaliotis
http://www.trikaliotis.net/

Re: ZoomFloppy on Linux

Peter Bortas
On Sat, Jun 2, 2018 at 2:03 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's clear usb.h is missing but in this case I have no idea where to
> look for it. FYI: Ubuntu was installed just 10 minutes before.

You've got good tips on how to fix this, but let me hand out a more general tip:

root:~# apt-get install apt-file
root:~# apt-file update
root:~# apt-file search /usb.h | grep dev:
libomhacks-dev: /usr/include/omhacks/usb.h
libpcap0.8-dev: /usr/include/pcap/usb.h
libusb-dev: /usr/include/usb.h
libwine-development-dev: /usr/include/wine-development/windows/ddk/usb.h
mingw-w64-i686-dev: /usr/i686-w64-mingw32/include/usb.h
mingw-w64-x86-64-dev: /usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32/include/usb.h
wine1.6-dev: /usr/include/wine/windows/ddk/usb.h

usb.h is a bit trickier than usual since it's a very common file
pattern, thus the grep above, but for most files you will only get one
or two dev packages, and it will be obvious which one you want.

(For RedHat people, look at "yum provides")

Peter Bortas

Re: ZoomFloppy on Linux

André Fachat
I always only had to install libusb-dev to get usb.h for the given case.

André

Am 2. Juni 2018 7:10:01 PM schrieb Peter Bortas <[hidden email]>:

> On Sat, Jun 2, 2018 at 2:03 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It's clear usb.h is missing but in this case I have no idea where to
>> look for it. FYI: Ubuntu was installed just 10 minutes before.
>
> You've got good tips on how to fix this, but let me hand out a more general
> tip:
>
> root:~# apt-get install apt-file
> root:~# apt-file update
> root:~# apt-file search /usb.h | grep dev:
> libomhacks-dev: /usr/include/omhacks/usb.h
> libpcap0.8-dev: /usr/include/pcap/usb.h
> libusb-dev: /usr/include/usb.h
> libwine-development-dev: /usr/include/wine-development/windows/ddk/usb.h
> mingw-w64-i686-dev: /usr/i686-w64-mingw32/include/usb.h
> mingw-w64-x86-64-dev: /usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32/include/usb.h
> wine1.6-dev: /usr/include/wine/windows/ddk/usb.h
>
> usb.h is a bit trickier than usual since it's a very common file
> pattern, thus the grep above, but for most files you will only get one
> or two dev packages, and it will be obvious which one you want.
>
> (For RedHat people, look at "yum provides")

> Peter Bortas

Re: ZoomFloppy on Linux

Peter Bortas
On Sat, Jun 2, 2018 at 7:18 PM André Fachat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I always only had to install libusb-dev to get usb.h for the given case.

Sure, any anyone having run Linux for a while will know that. But
knowing HOW to figure that out is helpful and also helps when you need
a random boost header for a build, or when you want to run "iostat".

/Peter

RE: ZoomFloppy on Linux

Hallo Spiro,

> wouldn't it be better to ask on ZF or OpenCBM specific mailing lists?

I completely forgot about these lists.

> sudo apt install libusb-dev

Worked like a charm.

I ran into another similar problem, "ncurses.h", but I solved that one myself using Google. But unfortunately I'm not there yet. According your quick installation walk-through:
- Compile OpenCBM - went fine after your help
- Install OpenCBM package - went fine
- Connect your cable - wnr fine
- Switch on your CBM IEC device - CBM 8250LP (*)
- XA1541 + XM1541only - skipped that
- cbmctrl reset - command not found
- make -f LINUX/Makefile ldconfig - ldconfig not found

cbmctrl is there in a subdirectory but "cbmctrl" on itself won't work and "./cbmctrl" or "cbmctrl/cbmctrl" won't work either; files not found. Am I missing something else?

(*) I only now see that it reads IEC. IMHO it is supposed to work for IEEE as well. Whether if this is something that should be corrected or not, IMHO cbmctrl as command should have worked anyway.

Re: ZoomFloppy on Linux

Spiro Trikaliotis
Hello Ruud,

* On Tue, Jun 05, 2018 at 06:43:16AM +0000 Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud) wrote:

> I ran into another similar problem, "ncurses.h", but I solved that one myself using Google. But unfortunately I'm not there yet. According your quick installation walk-through:
> - Compile OpenCBM - went fine after your help
> - Install OpenCBM package - went fine
> - Connect your cable - wnr fine
> - Switch on your CBM IEC device - CBM 8250LP (*)
> - XA1541 + XM1541only - skipped that
> - cbmctrl reset - command not found
> - make -f LINUX/Makefile ldconfig - ldconfig not found

What is your path (try by issuing the command "echo $PATH")? By default,
OpenCBM installs itself in /usr/local/bin/. It must be in your path in
order for the tools to be found.

You can also try to run /usr/local/bin/cbmctrl "by hand" by using the
full path. Is it found?

> cbmctrl is there in a subdirectory but "cbmctrl" on itself won't work
> and "./cbmctrl" or "cbmctrl/cbmctrl" won't work either; files not
> found. Am I missing something else?

cbmctrl/cbmctrl should work. What is the exact error message? Does it
differ to the error message that you get when you just issue a cbmctrl
(without a path)?

> (*) I only now see that it reads IEC. IMHO it is supposed to work for
> IEEE as well. Whether if this is something that should be corrected or
> not, IMHO cbmctrl as command should have worked anyway.

Yes, this applies to IEEE devices, too. I should change the wording a
little bit.

Spiro R. Trikaliotis
http://www.trikaliotis.net/