ZoomFloppy - formatting a disk in a 2031 disk drive

ZoomFloppy - formatting a disk in a 2031 disk drive

Ville Laustela
Hi.

Is there a way to format a disk in a Commodore 2031 disk drive over ZoomFloppy? It responds to cbmctrl reset and gives "73,cbm dos v2.6 2031,00,00” after reset - so I’d say so far it's looking good. I have a blank disk that I’d like to try formatting to see if it passes. My CBM8032 is not at hand at the moment so I can’t try it there, and I couldn’t figure out if I can pass the header command over ZoomFloppy to the drive.

I just got the drive, bought from eBay as non-working - happily it’s working! Has some cosmetic issues but nothing drastic - lovely disk drive.

Cheers,
Ville L.

Re: ZoomFloppy - formatting a disk in a 2031 disk drive

Spiro Trikaliotis
Hello Ville,

* On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 07:41:37PM +0200 Ville Laustela wrote:

> Is there a way to format a disk in a Commodore 2031 disk drive over ZoomFloppy?

Of course, like you would format on a 1541 with the original routines:

        cbmctrl pcommand 8 n0:name,id

or

        cbmctrl command 8 N0:NAME,ID

I assume the 2031 is drive #8, otherwise, replace the #8 with the number
your drive has.

Unfortunately, cbmformat and cbmforng will most probably not work, as
they do not know about the IEEE routines. I am not sure, though; thus,
if the above commands work, you might also want to try cbmformat and
cbmforng and report the results.

Spiro R. Trikaliotis
http://www.trikaliotis.net/

Re: ZoomFloppy - formatting a disk in a 2031 disk drive

Type:

cbmctrl command 8 "N0:DISKNAME,ID"

Where DISKNAME is the name to appear at the top of the listing, and ID is a two-character string. Commands must be in uppercase.

Steve

Re: ZoomFloppy - formatting a disk in a 2031 disk drive

Ville Laustela

D’oh, my previous reply didn’t come thrue (see below) - accidently tried to send it from my other email account and the list didn’t accept it.

Anyway, thanks and a small update:

I have now tested and my 2031 can read a 1541-formatted disk (from another drive) just fine.

d64copy won’t work (drive led starts blinking as if it has an error condition, but as I quit d64copy, it resets the bus and I can’t see the error). cbmctrl doesn’t seem to like the 2031 too much; it doesn’t recognise it (cbmctrl detect -> 8: *unknown*, footprint=<DBDC>) and often it just halts (fe. trying ”cbmctrl dir 8” couple of times, at some point it just does nothing (goes back to prompt) or replies "73,cbm dos v2.6 2031,00,00” repeatedly. Sometimes I need to replug the Zoomfloppy to restore normal operation.

Ville

* On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 06:56:27PM +0200 Ville Laustela wrote:

> I have now tested and my 2031 can read a 1541-formatted disk (from another drive) just fine.

That's good.

> d64copy won’t work (drive led starts blinking as if it has an error
> condition, but as I quit d64copy, it resets the bus and I can’t see
> the error).

That's expected. d64copy does not know anything about a 2031.

That's a really big pity, as the 2031 is the drive that is most similar
to a 1540/1541, and it should be relativly easy to get it working.
Unfortunately, I never owned one.

> cbmctrl doesn’t seem to like the 2031 too much; it doesn’t
> recognise it (cbmctrl detect -> 8: *unknown*, footprint=<DBDC>)

That's interesting. I would have expected a footprint of FFFF, at least
according to the ROM I have.

The footprint is the contents at $FF40, and in the only ROM dump I have
of a 2031, this is AAAA - identical to a 1540, and I would have expected
cbmctrl to detect it as a 1540.

Can you please try if you can dump the ROM and send it to me?

$ cbmctrl download 8 0xc000 0x4000 rom2031.dump

and send me the file rom2031.dump. It should be 16384 byte if everything
worked out fine.

If the file is less then 16384 byte, it might help if you repeat this
process. Additionally, I would be interested in ALL results you got with
this command, as it can tell me if and what problems you had.

Oh, and don't be surprised, the command can take some minutes to finish!

Can you read out the (physical) marking of the ROM chips, too? It is
written on top of the ROM chips. The only ones I know are 901484-03 (for
$C000-$DFFF) and 901484-05 (for $E000-$FFFF).

Spiro R. Trikaliotis
http://www.trikaliotis.net/

Re: ZoomFloppy - formatting a disk in a 2031 disk drive

Ethan Dicks
On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 1:13 PM, Spiro Trikaliotis
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have now tested and my 2031 can read a 1541-formatted disk (from another drive) just fine.

That's how I use my ZoomFloppy.  The 2031 is normally attached to a
PET and I have a dedicated 1541 for my ZF.  I remember having
communications difficulties with my ZF on an Ubuntu laptop.  Haven't
tried it in a few years.  Should see where things are now.  I have
zero problems with my ZF and Linux and my 1541.

>> d64copy won’t work...
>
> That's expected. d64copy does not know anything about a 2031.

Sure.  Would love to see it working, though.

> That's a really big pity, as the 2031 is the drive that is most similar
> to a 1540/1541, and it should be relativly easy to get it working.

I would think it shouldn't be too far different.  Same DOS, etc., just
a different physical interface.

> Unfortunately, I never owned one.

I have one.  Been using it for many years with real PETs.  More
portable than a 4040.

>> cbmctrl doesn’t seem to like the 2031 too much; it doesn’t
>> recognise it (cbmctrl detect -> 8: *unknown*, footprint=<DBDC>)
>
> That's interesting. I would have expected a footprint of FFFF, at least
> according to the ROM I have.
>
> The footprint is the contents at $FF40, and in the only ROM dump I have
> of a 2031, this is AAAA - identical to a 1540, and I would have expected
> cbmctrl to detect it as a 1540.
>
> Can you please try if you can dump the ROM and send it to me?
>
> $ cbmctrl download 8 0xc000 0x4000 rom2031.dump

I can try this too.

> Can you read out the (physical) marking of the ROM chips, too? It is
> written on top of the ROM chips. The only ones I know are 901484-03 (for
> $C000-$DFFF) and 901484-05 (for $E000-$FFFF).

Those are the ones on zimmers.net (and are likely the only ones ever
released).  I can check mine to be sure.

Re: ZoomFloppy - formatting a disk in a 2031 disk drive

Ville Laustela

Hi,

>> Unfortunately, I never owned one.
>
> I have one.  Been using it for many years with real PETs.  More
> portable than a 4040.

Indeed a bit more portable, but still a heavy beast.

>>> cbmctrl doesn’t seem to like the 2031 too much; it doesn’t
>>> recognise it (cbmctrl detect -> 8: *unknown*, footprint=<DBDC>)
>>
>> That's interesting. I would have expected a footprint of FFFF, at least
>> according to the ROM I have.
>>
>> The footprint is the contents at $FF40, and in the only ROM dump I have
>> of a 2031, this is AAAA - identical to a 1540, and I would have expected
>> cbmctrl to detect it as a 1540.
>>
>> Can you please try if you can dump the ROM and send it to me?
>>
>> $ cbmctrl download 8 0xc000 0x4000 rom2031.dump
One more note… if I try running cbmctrl detect several times, I get different replies:

8: *unknown*, footprint=<DOB@>
8: *unknown*, footprint=<C@BL>
8: *unknown*, footprint=<CBCC>
Then it stops replying and drive led starts blinking, and in reply to cbmctrl status 8 it gives "syntax error,00,00” (am I missing characters there?)

I tried dumping the ROM (under OS X) but all I got is ".,A transfer error occurred!” and a zero-size output. Tried it a couple of times. Best I could get was 512 bytes (attached) but it looked like trash.

I had a quick try under VirtualBox WinXP (here I have a WinVICE with real drive access) and it gives additional line "download: Overlapped I/O operation is in progress”.

>> Can you read out the (physical) marking of the ROM chips, too? It is
>> written on top of the ROM chips. The only ones I know are 901484-03 (for
>> $C000-$DFFF) and 901484-05 (for $E000-$FFFF).
>
> Those are the ones on zimmers.net (and are likely the only ones ever
> released).  I can check mine to be sure.

I have those same ones as well.

Ville

rom2031.dump (700 bytes) Download Attachment

* On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 07:24:08PM +0200 Ville Laustela wrote:

> >> Can you please try if you can dump the ROM and send it to me?
> >>
> >> $ cbmctrl download 8 0xc000 0x4000 rom2031.dump
>
> One more note… if I try running cbmctrl detect several times, I get different replies:
>
> 8: *unknown*, footprint=<DOB@>
> 8: *unknown*, footprint=<C@BL>
> 8: *unknown*, footprint=<CBCC>
> Then it stops replying and drive led starts blinking, and in reply to cbmctrl status 8 it gives "syntax error,00,00” (am I missing characters there?)

Ok, I see, you have a very general communication problem, that's the
real problem!

BTW, I interpreted the footprint completely wrong. It checks $FF40, but
also $FFFE if $FF40 has the contents $AA, $AA, like in the case of early
1541, the 1540 and the 2031. I missed that.

And it does not output the footprint in hex, but in some weird form.

> I tried dumping the ROM (under OS X) but all I got is ".,A transfer
> error occurred!” and a zero-size output. Tried it a couple of times.
> Best I could get was 512 bytes (attached) but it looked like trash.

That's not trash, that's the exact output of first 512 byte of the
901484-03 ROM. It is just missing the remaing 7.5 KB. ;)

But: The "A transfer error occurred!" tells me that you have a very big
communication problem.

Do you own an IEC (serial) based drive, so that we can find out if the
problem is on the "CBM side" (IEEE bus), or on the "PC side" (USB, PC)?

Spiro R. Trikaliotis
http://www.trikaliotis.net/

Re: ZoomFloppy - formatting a disk in a 2031 disk drive

matt
I have a 2031 floppy drive hooked up to ZoomFloppy and am experiencing the
exact same thing as Ville.
Here are the results of running the cbmctrl status and detect commands:

~/> cbmctrl status 8
73,cbm dos v2.6 2031,00,00

~/> cbmctrl detect
 8: *unknown*, footprint=<DOB@>

~/> cbmctrl detect
 8: *unknown*, footprint=<ONKF>

After running cbmctrl detect two or three times it stops responding.

I also tried running the command: cbmctrl download 8 0xc000 0x4000
rom2031.dump
but each time it returns:  "A transfer error occurred!"

Has anyone had any luck reading disks with this drive using ZoomFloppy?

Thanks,
Matt

Sent from: http://cbm-hackers.2304266.n4.nabble.com/

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 4:30 PM, matt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a 2031 floppy drive hooked up to ZoomFloppy and am experiencing the
> exact same thing as Ville.
> Here are the results of running the cbmctrl status and detect commands:
>
> ~/> cbmctrl status 8
> 73,cbm dos v2.6 2031,00,00
>
> ~/> cbmctrl detect
>  8: *unknown*, footprint=<DOB@>
>
> ~/> cbmctrl detect
>  8: *unknown*, footprint=<ONKF>
>
> After running cbmctrl detect two or three times it stops responding.
>
> I also tried running the command: cbmctrl download 8 0xc000 0x4000
> rom2031.dump
> but each time it returns:  "A transfer error occurred!"
>
> Has anyone had any luck reading disks with this drive using ZoomFloppy?

I have used my Zoomfloppy with both a 1541 and a 2031.  I have been
able to get directories and pull files, reliably with a 1541, and
occasionally with the 2031.  The ever-changing footprint is
interesting.  I'm seeing something quite odd on mine which tells me
that something isn't quite right with the firmware.  It appears to be
pulling the status string a couple characters at a time (watch the
magic value...)

Here's what I get from repeated runs of cbmdetect on a 2031...

(with a reset first, which queues up the DOS status message)

$ cbmctrl reset
$ for i in `seq 1 10`; do cbmctrl detect; done
magic = 0xaaaa
magic = 0x4f20
 8: *unknown*, footprint=<DOB@>
magic = 0x302c
magic = 0x302c
 8: *unknown*, footprint=<C@BL>
magic = 0xfeb6
magic = 0x3030
 8: *unknown*, footprint=<C@C@>
magic = 0x4f20
magic = 0x302c
 8: *unknown*, footprint=<C@BL>
magic = 0x302c
 8: *unknown*, footprint=<C@BL> (cannot determine cable type)
magic = 0x3030
magic = 0x4f20
 8: *unknown*, footprint=<DOB@>
magic = 0x302c
magic = 0x302c
 8: *unknown*, footprint=<C@BL>
magic = 0x3030
magic = 0x4f20
 8: *unknown*, footprint=<DOB@>
magic = 0x302c
magic = 0x302c
 8: *unknown*, footprint=<C@BL>

(after a successful dir, so the next status will read "00, OK, 00,00"

$ for i in `seq 1 10`; do cbmctrl detect; done
magic = 0x3030
magic = 0x4f20
 8: *unknown*, footprint=<DOB@>
magic = 0x302c
magic = 0x302c
 8: *unknown*, footprint=<C@BL>
magic = 0xaaaa

(and an attempt to download ROM code)

$ cbmctrl download 8 0xc000 0x4000 rom2031.dump
.,A transfer error occurred!
cbmctrl: download: Resource temporarily unavailable

(and I'm finding dirs to be intermittent now...)

$ cbmctrl reset
$ cbmctrl dir 8
73,cbm dos v2.6 2031,00,00
$ cbmctrl dir 8
0 ."blank           " h4 2a
577 blocks free.
00, ok,00,00
$ cbmctrl dir 8
$ cbmctrl dir 8
$

(but sometimes, a double-reset will let me get to the contents...)
$ cbmctrl reset
$ cbmctrl reset
$ cbmctrl dir 8
0 ."blank           " h4 2a
1    "dumper"           prg
17   "mystery $9000"    prg
17   "psi-8040 $9000"   prg
17   "baid $9000"       prg
17   "micromon $a000"   prg
9    "paics $b000"      prg
9    "romrabbit $b800"  prg
577 blocks free.
00, ok,00,00

(using cbmread to get first file on this disk)

$ cbmread 8 dumper
magic = 0x3030
magic = 0x4f20
[Info] reading DUMPER -> dumper.prg
magic = 0x302c
[Info] identified a *unknown*, footprint=<C@BL> drive
[Warning] *** unknown drive type
.\[Info] 00, OK,00,00

(and finally, trying to run d64copy...)

$ d64copy 8 foo.d64
magic = 0x3337
magic = 0x4243
[Warning] Unknown drive, assuming 1541   [ it hangs at this point, so
I type ^C ]
^C
SIGINT caught X-(  Resetting IEC bus...

I am not running Windows nor will I.  I'm using a Linux Mint laptop.

* On Mon, May 07, 2018 at 01:30:02PM -0700 matt wrote:

> Here are the results of running the cbmctrl status and detect commands:
>
> ~/> cbmctrl status 8
> 73,cbm dos v2.6 2031,00,00
>
> ~/> cbmctrl detect
>  8: *unknown*, footprint=<DOB@>
>
> ~/> cbmctrl detect
>  8: *unknown*, footprint=<ONKF>

That's interestng. The footprint should be identical on multiple runs.

Do you also get other values for the footprint? Do you get any of these
values multiple times?

> After running cbmctrl detect two or three times it stops responding.

So we have a communication problem. The changing footprints indicate the
same.

> I also tried running the command: cbmctrl download 8 0xc000 0x4000
> rom2031.dump
> but each time it returns:  "A transfer error occurred!"

How big is the rom2031.dump file after each run? Please run it multiple
times, and look at the sizes. Do they vary?

> Has anyone had any luck reading disks with this drive using ZoomFloppy?

The 2031 should be the "best" drive for IEEE experiments with the ZF,
because the 2031 is very similar to the 1540/1541. All other drives
differ much more. Thus, I would be surprised if these a generic problems
that happen to all people.

I would check your IEEE cable. How long is it? Is it a (unshielded)
ribbon cable, or a shielded cable?

Spiro R. Trikaliotis
http://www.trikaliotis.net/

Re: ZoomFloppy - formatting a disk in a 2031 disk drive

Hello Ethan,

thank you for your tests.

So it seems we have a general communication problem.

Does anyone else have success or was unsuccessfull with other IEEE
drives (4040, 8x50, ...)?

I never tested the ZF with IEEE devices, at least not directly. I have a
IEC2IEEE adapter (by Jochen 'NLQ' Adler), but this does not help us in
debugging the IEEE protocol of the ZF.

I could try to solder the IEEE connector to my ZF, but my soldering
skills are near to non-existant, and I fear I might brick my ZF. :(

* On Wed, May 09, 2018 at 03:57:39PM -0400 Ethan Dicks wrote:

> (and an attempt to download ROM code)
>
> $ cbmctrl download 8 0xc000 0x4000 rom2031.dump
> .,A transfer error occurred!
> cbmctrl: download: Resource temporarily unavailable

It would be interesting to know the size of the rom2031.dump file. Is it
always of a specific length, or does the length vary? Which lengths do
you get?

> $ d64copy 8 foo.d64
> magic = 0x3337
> magic = 0x4243
> [Warning] Unknown drive, assuming 1541   [ it hangs at this point, so
> I type ^C ]

This is not surprising, d64copy cannot handle IEEE drives. It does
not even have an option to use the original protocol, so you are stuck
there.

You could try imgcopy instead, it should be able to handle 2031 drives,
at least according to its documentation. I never tested it myself.

For cbmcopy, this is different, there, you have the --transfer=original
(-to) option.

Spiro R. Trikaliotis
http://www.trikaliotis.net/

I have formatted 8050,  8250 and 4040 but I have had better luck using an XP laptop than a windows 10 computer.  Not 100% sure why.
Bill

Re: ZoomFloppy - formatting a disk in a 2031 disk drive

On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 4:28 PM, Spiro Trikaliotis
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Ethan,
>
> thank you for your tests.

You are quite welcome.

> So it seems we have a general communication problem.

So it would seem.

> I never tested the ZF with IEEE devices, at least not directly. I have a
> IEC2IEEE adapter (by Jochen 'NLQ' Adler), but this does not help us in
> debugging the IEEE protocol of the ZF.

Ah.

I have the capability of compiling firmware and/or application code
for Linux for testing.  I'm fluent in C so I'm not just limited to
monkey testing.  I can poke around in the code and make my own
(thoughtful) mods.  (And I'm offering to be an active part of the
testing process).

> I could try to solder the IEEE connector to my ZF, but my soldering
> skills are near to non-existant, and I fear I might brick my ZF. :(

I happened to purchase mine with the IEEE connector but my soldering
skills are fine.

Since you asked Ville, let me say that my cable is a 2m-long lab-grade
shielded IEEE cable that I got from work (10+ years ago) when they
were tossing old test equipment.  It appears to be new or nearly new.
I have other cables as well.  I have it connected as Laptop<->USB Mini
cable<->Zoomfloppy<->2m IEEE cable<->2031.  Nothing else on the bus.

>> $ d64copy 8 foo.d64
>> [Warning] Unknown drive, assuming 1541   [ it hangs at this point, so
>
> This is not surprising, d64copy cannot handle IEEE drives. It does
> not even have an option to use the original protocol, so you are stuck
> there.

Gotcha.  Just running through the gamut.  I'm not surprised it didn't work.

> You could try imgcopy instead, it should be able to handle 2031 drives,
> at least according to its documentation. I never tested it myself.

I can check that easily.

Re: ZoomFloppy - formatting a disk in a 2031 disk drive

MiaM
Den Wed, 9 May 2018 22:02:22 -0400 skrev Ethan Dicks
<[hidden email]>:
> > I could try to solder the IEEE connector to my ZF, but my soldering
> > skills are near to non-existant, and I fear I might brick my ZF. :(
>
> I happened to purchase mine with the IEEE connector but my soldering
> skills are fine.

Btw, why do people buy ZoomFloppy when they don't intend to use the
IEEE 488 port? A XUM1541 does the same job for a smaller amount of
money.

> Since you asked Ville, let me say that my cable is a 2m-long lab-grade
> shielded IEEE cable that I got from work (10+ years ago) when they
> were tossing old test equipment.  It appears to be new or nearly new.
> I have other cables as well.  I have it connected as Laptop<->USB Mini
> cable<->Zoomfloppy<->2m IEEE cable<->2031.  Nothing else on the bus.

ZoomFloppy seems to not have the IEEE standard driver IC's, but drive
the IEEE bus directly from the modern microcontroller. Is the I/O on
the microcontroller really up to the IEEE 488 specifications?

I would try a shorter cable.

Re: ZoomFloppy - formatting a disk in a 2031 disk drive

smf

Probably because when you go to the official xum1541 page, it tells you to buy a zoomfloppy.

http://www.root.org/~nate/c64/xum1541/

"A commercial version called the ZoomFloppy is now available from Jim Brain. It is quite nice and only slightly more expensive than a bare Atmel developer board, so I no longer recommend building your own hardware. The ZoomFloppy has connectors for IEC serial, parallel, IEEE-488, and 40-pin expansion connector. The latter has all signals from the microcontroller, so you can debug or build new devices from it as well."

"The ZoomFloppy is a simpler version of the original design, intended for low-cost manufacturing with high-speed performance. It is now available commercially, which should make it the best choice for nearly all users. It is very inexpensive, costing only slightly more than the Atmel USBKEY board, so in almost all cases, you don't need to build it yourself."

I bought mine years ago. Today I might buy one of the cheap bare boards and make one myself, although if you charge yourself for the time then it's still no cheaper.

money.

Re: ZoomFloppy - formatting a disk in a 2031 disk drive

matt
Hi Ethan, Spiro, and others, thank you for your assistance

Spiro Trikaliotis wrote
> Does anyone else have success or was unsuccessful with other IEEE
> drives (4040, 8x50, ...)?

I hooked up my 8050 dual drive to the ZF using the same cable that I used on
the 2031.  The 8050 is able to communicate over the ZF without difficulty.
Here are my results:

~> cbmctrl status 8
73,cbm dos v2.7,00,00,0

~> cbmctrl detect
 8: 8250 dos2.7

~>cbmctrl download 8 0xc000 0x4000 rom8050.dump
This successfually generated a 16K dump file on my Macbook.

Spiro Trikaliotis wrote
> It would be interesting to know the size of the rom2031.dump file. Is it
> always of a specific length, or does the length vary? Which lengths do
> you get?

The rom2031.dump file is consistently 0 bytes long.  I've tried several
times to generate the ROM dump and could not create a file that has a
non-zero length.

The IEEE cable I'm using is shielded and approximately 1 metre long.  Again,
this cable works with my 8050.

Matt

* On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 10:01:40AM +0200 Mia Magnusson wrote:

> Den Wed, 9 May 2018 22:02:22 -0400 skrev Ethan Dicks
> <[hidden email]>:
> > > I could try to solder the IEEE connector to my ZF, but my soldering
> > > skills are near to non-existant, and I fear I might brick my ZF. :(
> >
> > I happened to purchase mine with the IEEE connector but my soldering
> > skills are fine.
>
> Btw, why do people buy ZoomFloppy when they don't intend to use the
> IEEE 488 port?

Mine was a donation for my help. I could not select what I wanted, "it
just arrived" in my postbox.

> A XUM1541 does the same job for a smaller amount of
> money.

What s an XUM1541? It is a generic name for a number of different
devices.

Your statement is like: "Why do people buy HP Proliant XXX computers (=
ZF, a specific type of XUM1541 device)? A PC (= an XUM1541) does the
same job for a smaller amount of money."

> ZoomFloppy seems to not have the IEEE standard driver IC's, but drive
> the IEEE bus directly from the modern microcontroller.

That's right, but so does the IEC2IEEE device I wrote about above.

> I would try a shorter cable.

I second that, though.

Spiro R. Trikaliotis
http://www.trikaliotis.net/

Re: ZoomFloppy - formatting a disk in a 2031 disk drive

Rhialto
On Wed 09 May 2018 at 22:28:28 +0200, Spiro Trikaliotis wrote:
> Does anyone else have success or was unsuccessfull with other IEEE
> drives (4040, 8x50, ...)?

Yes, I used it with a 8050 (I think) a few years ago when I was doing
the SuperPET 6702 experiments.

My memory is a bit vague on it but I think it worked most of the time,
but also from time to time it would get confused and everything needed
to be unplugged/reset to get back to working. I used a real IEEE-488
cable with the stackable connectors and everything.

Sorry that I can't be more precise...
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- Wayland: Those who don't understand X
\X/ rhialto/at/falu.nl      -- are condemned to reinvent it. Poorly.

On 5/10/2018 3:01 AM, Mia Magnusson wrote:

> Btw, why do people buy ZoomFloppy when they don't intend to use the
> IEEE 488 port? A XUM1541 does the same job for a smaller amount of
> money.
I always wonder if I am just missing something in the translation of
comments like these.

It seems the suggest the goal should be to place the design files online
for Commodore projects and focus energy on having someone else cost
reduce the boards to the minimal use case and sell on eBay.