ZoomFloppy - formatting a disk in a 2031 disk drive

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ZoomFloppy - formatting a disk in a 2031 disk drive

Ville Laustela
Hi.

Is there a way to format a disk in a Commodore 2031 disk drive over ZoomFloppy? It responds to cbmctrl reset and gives "73,cbm dos v2.6 2031,00,00” after reset - so I’d say so far it's looking good. I have a blank disk that I’d like to try formatting to see if it passes. My CBM8032 is not at hand at the moment so I can’t try it there, and I couldn’t figure out if I can pass the header command over ZoomFloppy to the drive.

I just got the drive, bought from eBay as non-working - happily it’s working! Has some cosmetic issues but nothing drastic - lovely disk drive.

Cheers,
Ville L.


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ZoomFloppy - formatting a disk in a 2031 disk drive

Spiro Trikaliotis
Hello Ville,

* On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 07:41:37PM +0200 Ville Laustela wrote:
 
> Is there a way to format a disk in a Commodore 2031 disk drive over ZoomFloppy?

Of course, like you would format on a 1541 with the original routines:

        cbmctrl pcommand 8 n0:name,id

or

        cbmctrl command 8 N0:NAME,ID

I assume the 2031 is drive #8, otherwise, replace the #8 with the number
your drive has.

Unfortunately, cbmformat and cbmforng will most probably not work, as
they do not know about the IEEE routines. I am not sure, though; thus,
if the above commands work, you might also want to try cbmformat and
cbmforng and report the results.

Regards,
Spiro.

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis
http://www.trikaliotis.net/

       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ZoomFloppy - formatting a disk in a 2031 disk drive

Steve Gray
In reply to this post by Ville Laustela
Type:

cbmctrl command 8 "N0:DISKNAME,ID"

Where DISKNAME is the name to appear at the top of the listing, and ID is a two-character string. Commands must be in uppercase.

Steve



From: Ville Laustela <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Sent: Wednesday, March 8, 2017 12:41 PM
Subject: ZoomFloppy - formatting a disk in a 2031 disk drive

Hi.

Is there a way to format a disk in a Commodore 2031 disk drive over ZoomFloppy? It responds to cbmctrl reset and gives "73,cbm dos v2.6 2031,00,00” after reset - so I’d say so far it's looking good. I have a blank disk that I’d like to try formatting to see if it passes. My CBM8032 is not at hand at the moment so I can’t try it there, and I couldn’t figure out if I can pass the header command over ZoomFloppy to the drive.

I just got the drive, bought from eBay as non-working - happily it’s working! Has some cosmetic issues but nothing drastic - lovely disk drive.

Cheers,
Ville L.


      Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ZoomFloppy - formatting a disk in a 2031 disk drive

Ville Laustela
In reply to this post by Spiro Trikaliotis

D’oh, my previous reply didn’t come thrue (see below) - accidently tried to send it from my other email account and the list didn’t accept it.

Anyway, thanks and a small update:

I have now tested and my 2031 can read a 1541-formatted disk (from another drive) just fine.

d64copy won’t work (drive led starts blinking as if it has an error condition, but as I quit d64copy, it resets the bus and I can’t see the error). cbmctrl doesn’t seem to like the 2031 too much; it doesn’t recognise it (cbmctrl detect -> 8: *unknown*, footprint=<DBDC>) and often it just halts (fe. trying ”cbmctrl dir 8” couple of times, at some point it just does nothing (goes back to prompt) or replies "73,cbm dos v2.6 2031,00,00” repeatedly. Sometimes I need to replug the Zoomfloppy to restore normal operation.


Ville




> Hi Spiro and Steve, and thanks.
> It does work with cbmctrl command 8 "N0:DISKNAME,ID”.
>
> The drive starts formatting but fails after maybe 20-30 seconds with read error.
>
> I have taken the drive apart and cleaned it and lubricated the head drive rails etc, but still no go. The head looks pristine and I am using a NOS (non-formatted) double density disk (none of the previous ones from the same box have failed me). There was a bit of sticky residue on the drive belt and it wasn’t as flexible as it might have been, could be a problem. While spinning it does sound a bit noisy (compared to my other IEEE-488 drives).
>
> I’ll try to locate some of my disks from my other IEEE-488 drives and test if I can get a directory out of those with the 2031.
>
> It’s still better than I had dared to hope with a ”not-tested, no returns” eBay find :)
>
> —
> Ville
>




> Spiro Trikaliotis <[hidden email]> kirjoitti 8.3.2017 kello 20.03:
>
> Hello Ville,
>
> * On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 07:41:37PM +0200 Ville Laustela wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to format a disk in a Commodore 2031 disk drive over ZoomFloppy?
>
> Of course, like you would format on a 1541 with the original routines:
>
>        cbmctrl pcommand 8 n0:name,id
>
> or
>
>        cbmctrl command 8 N0:NAME,ID
>
> I assume the 2031 is drive #8, otherwise, replace the #8 with the number
> your drive has.
>
> Unfortunately, cbmformat and cbmforng will most probably not work, as
> they do not know about the IEEE routines. I am not sure, though; thus,
> if the above commands work, you might also want to try cbmformat and
> cbmforng and report the results.
>
> Regards,
> Spiro.
>
> --
> Spiro R. Trikaliotis
> http://www.trikaliotis.net/
>
>       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ZoomFloppy - formatting a disk in a 2031 disk drive

Spiro Trikaliotis
Hello Ville,

* On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 06:56:27PM +0200 Ville Laustela wrote:
 
> I have now tested and my 2031 can read a 1541-formatted disk (from another drive) just fine.

That's good.

> d64copy won’t work (drive led starts blinking as if it has an error
> condition, but as I quit d64copy, it resets the bus and I can’t see
> the error).

That's expected. d64copy does not know anything about a 2031.

That's a really big pity, as the 2031 is the drive that is most similar
to a 1540/1541, and it should be relativly easy to get it working.
Unfortunately, I never owned one.

> cbmctrl doesn’t seem to like the 2031 too much; it doesn’t
> recognise it (cbmctrl detect -> 8: *unknown*, footprint=<DBDC>)

That's interesting. I would have expected a footprint of FFFF, at least
according to the ROM I have.

The footprint is the contents at $FF40, and in the only ROM dump I have
of a 2031, this is AAAA - identical to a 1540, and I would have expected
cbmctrl to detect it as a 1540.

Can you please try if you can dump the ROM and send it to me?

$ cbmctrl download 8 0xc000 0x4000 rom2031.dump

and send me the file rom2031.dump. It should be 16384 byte if everything
worked out fine.

If the file is less then 16384 byte, it might help if you repeat this
process. Additionally, I would be interested in ALL results you got with
this command, as it can tell me if and what problems you had.

Oh, and don't be surprised, the command can take some minutes to finish!


Can you read out the (physical) marking of the ROM chips, too? It is
written on top of the ROM chips. The only ones I know are 901484-03 (for
$C000-$DFFF) and 901484-05 (for $E000-$FFFF).

Regards,
Spiro.

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis
http://www.trikaliotis.net/

       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ZoomFloppy - formatting a disk in a 2031 disk drive

Ethan Dicks
On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 1:13 PM, Spiro Trikaliotis
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have now tested and my 2031 can read a 1541-formatted disk (from another drive) just fine.

That's how I use my ZoomFloppy.  The 2031 is normally attached to a
PET and I have a dedicated 1541 for my ZF.  I remember having
communications difficulties with my ZF on an Ubuntu laptop.  Haven't
tried it in a few years.  Should see where things are now.  I have
zero problems with my ZF and Linux and my 1541.

>> d64copy won’t work...
>
> That's expected. d64copy does not know anything about a 2031.

Sure.  Would love to see it working, though.

> That's a really big pity, as the 2031 is the drive that is most similar
> to a 1540/1541, and it should be relativly easy to get it working.

I would think it shouldn't be too far different.  Same DOS, etc., just
a different physical interface.

> Unfortunately, I never owned one.

I have one.  Been using it for many years with real PETs.  More
portable than a 4040.

>> cbmctrl doesn’t seem to like the 2031 too much; it doesn’t
>> recognise it (cbmctrl detect -> 8: *unknown*, footprint=<DBDC>)
>
> That's interesting. I would have expected a footprint of FFFF, at least
> according to the ROM I have.
>
> The footprint is the contents at $FF40, and in the only ROM dump I have
> of a 2031, this is AAAA - identical to a 1540, and I would have expected
> cbmctrl to detect it as a 1540.
>
> Can you please try if you can dump the ROM and send it to me?
>
> $ cbmctrl download 8 0xc000 0x4000 rom2031.dump

I can try this too.

> Can you read out the (physical) marking of the ROM chips, too? It is
> written on top of the ROM chips. The only ones I know are 901484-03 (for
> $C000-$DFFF) and 901484-05 (for $E000-$FFFF).

Those are the ones on zimmers.net (and are likely the only ones ever
released).  I can check mine to be sure.

-ethan

       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ZoomFloppy - formatting a disk in a 2031 disk drive

Ville Laustela

Hi,


>> Unfortunately, I never owned one.
>
> I have one.  Been using it for many years with real PETs.  More
> portable than a 4040.

Indeed a bit more portable, but still a heavy beast.


>>> cbmctrl doesn’t seem to like the 2031 too much; it doesn’t
>>> recognise it (cbmctrl detect -> 8: *unknown*, footprint=<DBDC>)
>>
>> That's interesting. I would have expected a footprint of FFFF, at least
>> according to the ROM I have.
>>
>> The footprint is the contents at $FF40, and in the only ROM dump I have
>> of a 2031, this is AAAA - identical to a 1540, and I would have expected
>> cbmctrl to detect it as a 1540.
>>
>> Can you please try if you can dump the ROM and send it to me?
>>
>> $ cbmctrl download 8 0xc000 0x4000 rom2031.dump
One more note… if I try running cbmctrl detect several times, I get different replies:

8: *unknown*, footprint=<DOB@>
8: *unknown*, footprint=<C@BL>
8: *unknown*, footprint=<CBCC>
Then it stops replying and drive led starts blinking, and in reply to cbmctrl status 8 it gives "syntax error,00,00” (am I missing characters there?)

I tried dumping the ROM (under OS X) but all I got is ".,A transfer error occurred!” and a zero-size output. Tried it a couple of times. Best I could get was 512 bytes (attached) but it looked like trash.

I had a quick try under VirtualBox WinXP (here I have a WinVICE with real drive access) and it gives additional line "download: Overlapped I/O operation is in progress”.


>> Can you read out the (physical) marking of the ROM chips, too? It is
>> written on top of the ROM chips. The only ones I know are 901484-03 (for
>> $C000-$DFFF) and 901484-05 (for $E000-$FFFF).
>
> Those are the ones on zimmers.net (and are likely the only ones ever
> released).  I can check mine to be sure.


I have those same ones as well.


Ville


rom2031.dump (700 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ZoomFloppy - formatting a disk in a 2031 disk drive

Spiro Trikaliotis
Hello Ville,

* On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 07:24:08PM +0200 Ville Laustela wrote:

> >> Can you please try if you can dump the ROM and send it to me?
> >>
> >> $ cbmctrl download 8 0xc000 0x4000 rom2031.dump
>
> One more note… if I try running cbmctrl detect several times, I get different replies:
>
> 8: *unknown*, footprint=<DOB@>
> 8: *unknown*, footprint=<C@BL>
> 8: *unknown*, footprint=<CBCC>
> Then it stops replying and drive led starts blinking, and in reply to cbmctrl status 8 it gives "syntax error,00,00” (am I missing characters there?)

Ok, I see, you have a very general communication problem, that's the
real problem!

BTW, I interpreted the footprint completely wrong. It checks $FF40, but
also $FFFE if $FF40 has the contents $AA, $AA, like in the case of early
1541, the 1540 and the 2031. I missed that.

And it does not output the footprint in hex, but in some weird form.


> I tried dumping the ROM (under OS X) but all I got is ".,A transfer
> error occurred!” and a zero-size output. Tried it a couple of times.
> Best I could get was 512 bytes (attached) but it looked like trash.

That's not trash, that's the exact output of first 512 byte of the
901484-03 ROM. It is just missing the remaing 7.5 KB. ;)

But: The "A transfer error occurred!" tells me that you have a very big
communication problem.

Do you own an IEC (serial) based drive, so that we can find out if the
problem is on the "CBM side" (IEEE bus), or on the "PC side" (USB, PC)?

Regards,
Spiro.

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis
http://www.trikaliotis.net/

       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list