What software are we still looking for?

I bought the ZoomFloppy mainly to archive 8x50 disks. But I also have loads of C64 and C128 disks laying around. Because I wasn't able to use the ZF with my 1001, I started with the C64/128 disks I ran into. But IMHO it is a waste of time to archive disks with games because IMHO 99.9% has been archived already; I only have to mention Arnold. Maybe the same for tools. I can imagine that archiving Dutch software is worth the time, for example software produced by Radarsoft.

But what about software for the PET/CBM? What has been archived so far? And what is available on Internet?

Any pointers are welcome!

Re: What software are we still looking for?

vossi
Hello,

I have a lot of Software for CBM and PET - mainly applications and tools.
But I have to test it and archive it... - most is on 8050-disks.

Is everywhere in the web a PET/CBM software archive?
It would be great, if we all upload our PET-software for everyone.

greets
Christian

Re: What software are we still looking for?

Niklas Ramsberg-2
​Hej allihopa!​

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 8:50 AM, vossi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I have a lot of Software for CBM and PET - mainly applications and tools.
But I have to test it and archive it... - most is on 8050-disks.

Is everywhere in the web a PET/CBM software archive?
It would be great, if we all upload our PET-software for everyone.

There is very little PET/CBM software on the net, especially commercial software, so it would be great if you could contribute what you have.
​Bo Zimmerman's site http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/ is imo the best​ place to archive this stuff.

​/Niklas Ramsberg​

RE: What software are we still looking for?

> But I have to test it and archive it...

Once archived, do you have a tool to make an index of what is on all those disks?

 I once made one in Pascal but never finished it because Turbo Pascal was not really suited for it. FreePascal, or better, Lazarus, are.
I stored various things in a database:
- name of the disk + what files it contained
- name of the file + md5 so I can compare it with other files
A big problem: the database contained a lot of not-standalone files like fonts and hi-scores. I considered these as pollution but I had not an idea how to get rid of them from the start (except the obvious ones).
If I rebuild this tool, I have to think about this all again. Suggestions regarding this database are welcome.

> Is everywhere in the web a PET/CBM software archive?

To be honest, not any that I know of. I don't count the SW on Bo Zimmers' site as it is too machine specific (but it is a start).
Regarding storing the images: if Bo wants to store them, fine for me. My wife has a site that can store 3 GB of data but uses less than 1 GB. And being its administrator, no more comment needed IMHO :)

> Niklas: There is very little PET/CBM software on the net

Have you any URL at all, please?

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 12:08 PM, Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Have you any URL at all, please?

​The only URL I have for PET softwatre are zimmer​s.net. I also seem to remember that you yourself posted a bunch of disks from a Dutch Commodore club a few years back, with a very nice version of Commodore's macro assembler among other things.

/Niklas Ramsberg

Re: What software are we still looking for?

william degnan

IEEE..I have less pet disks than B series, very little software for the 8000.  I have archived and posted what I have that I assume may not already be available, all systems' formats.  Most 8050s.  For every one IEEE disk I have 5 C64 disks archived.  The c64 disks I archived are mostly  interesting pirated software with custom splash screens, bbs disks. User group disks.  Stuff like that.  I don't bother with commercial software.

Bill Degnan
twitter: billdeg
vintagecomputer.net

On May 9, 2017 2:15 AM, "Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hallo allemaal,

I bought the ZoomFloppy mainly to archive 8x50 disks. But I also have loads of C64 and C128 disks laying around. Because I wasn't able to use the ZF with my 1001, I started with the C64/128 disks I ran into. But IMHO it is a waste of time to archive disks with games because IMHO 99.9% has been archived already; I only have to mention Arnold. Maybe the same for tools. I can imagine that archiving Dutch software is worth the time, for example software produced by Radarsoft.

But what about software for the PET/CBM? What has been archived so far? And what is available on Internet?

Any pointers are welcome!

Re: What software are we still looking for?

Giacomo Vernoni

Have you any URL at all, please?

​The only URL I have for PET softwatre are zimmer​s.net. I also seem to remember that you yourself posted a bunch of disks from a Dutch Commodore club a few years back, with a very nice version of Commodore's macro assembler among other things.

/Niklas Ramsberg

The Internet Archive hosts a small (1.5MB zipped) PET TOSEC - mostly games and a few utilities:

Contents:

Re: What software are we still looking for?

Mike Stein

The Cursor tapes if you can find them on line.

/Niklas Ramsberg

Re: What software are we still looking for?

On Tuesday 09 May 2017, 06:15:03 Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I started with the C64/128 disks I ran into. But IMHO it is a
> waste of time to archive disks with games because IMHO 99.9% has been
> archived already; I only have to mention Arnold.

ugh. and arnold is infact a perfect example of why preserving more software is
a very good idea - its not a very good archive at all. (and far from complete
too)

tons of c64 software is still wanted for that matter, be it games (cracks and
originals) or whatever else. (look here for the lists of stuff that is known
to exist: ftp://ftp.scs-trc.net/pub/c64/ )

so please, transfer all of it. if you dont want to do it yourself, get in
touch with "the transfer team" ( https://csdb.dk/group/?id=8137 - iirc one of
them shows up in maarsen too) and they will do it for you.

--

http://www.hitmen-console.org    http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
http://www.pokefinder.org        http://ar.pokefinder.org

Technology is dominated by two groups of people: 1) Those who understand what
they do not manage. 2) Those who manage what they do not understand.

RE: What software are we still looking for?

Hallo Mike,

> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TPUG-Library-CD-for-Commodore-64-PET-VIC-20-and-Amiga-/302015100759?hash=item465180b757:g:eHoAAOSwUuFWxeXc

I wouldn't wonder if the PET part are those images I created some years ago :)

I still have the originals. If anybody is interested, just tell me. I'm more a tinkerer, not a collector. Just for P&P

RE: What software are we still looking for?

Hallo Groepaz,

> its not a very good archive at all. (and far from complete too)

In the past I received a CD from Marko (IIRC) with a dump from Arnold. Somebody mentioned some time in the past that there was about five to ten GB of Commodore software around. In that case a CD is only 5-10% of it.

Anyway, I started working on a tool that should read the contents of all images I have.

> (look here for the lists of stuff that is known to exist: ftp://ftp.scs-trc.net/pub/c64/ )

I will.

> https://csdb.dk/group/?id=8137 - iirc one of them shows up in maarsen too

I am denied access to this site from my work. Do you have a name?

Re: What software are we still looking for?

> On 2017-05-09, at 17:06, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> On Tuesday 09 May 2017, 06:15:03 Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I started with the C64/128 disks I ran into. But IMHO it is a
>> waste of time to archive disks with games because IMHO 99.9% has been
>> archived already; I only have to mention Arnold.
>
> ugh. and arnold is infact a perfect example of why preserving more software is
> a very good idea - its not a very good archive at all. (and far from complete
> too)
>
> tons of c64 software is still wanted for that matter, be it games (cracks and
> originals) or whatever else. (look here for the lists of stuff that is known
> to exist: ftp://ftp.scs-trc.net/pub/c64/ )
>
> so please, transfer all of it. if you dont want to do it yourself, get in
> touch with "the transfer team" ( https://csdb.dk/group/?id=8137 - iirc one of
> them shows up in maarsen too) and they will do it for you.

Absolutely yes. I couldn't say it better. I can only add that I was once positively surprised that e. g. some of my old cracks, which I lost along with a box of disks one swapper "borrowed" from me, appeared on the net. So please do - maybe the other missing position will reappear one day thanks to that effort.

--
SD!

RE: What software are we still looking for?

Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud)
> so please, transfer all of it.

> Absolutely yes. I couldn't say it better.

OK. But will cost you a sixpack :)

Re: What software are we still looking for?

On Wednesday 10 May 2017, 05:35:06 Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> > https://csdb.dk/group/?id=8137 - iirc one of them shows up in maarsen too
>

> I am denied access to this site from my work. Do you have a name?

i only know their scene handles, no names, sorry :)

Acidchild, Cavey, CBA, Mace, Maestro, Mason, MdZ, Morpheus

cavey is from .nl - perhaps send him a mail: cavey[at]caveymon.com

--

http://www.hitmen-console.org    http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
http://www.pokefinder.org        http://ar.pokefinder.org

Every adult needs a child to teach; it's the way adults learn.
<Frank A. Clark>

RE: What software are we still looking for?

Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud)
> cavey is from .nl - perhaps send him a mail: cavey[at]caveymon.com

Done.

Re: What software are we still looking for?

Rhialto
On Wed 10 May 2017 at 05:35:06 +0000, Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud) wrote:
> In the past I received a CD from Marko (IIRC) with a dump from Arnold.
> Somebody mentioned some time in the past that there was about five to
> ten GB of Commodore software around. In that case a CD is only 5-10%
> of it.

There are the TOSEC collections "The Old School Emulation Center
Collection". But almost all of their Commodore stuff is for C64 and Amiga, very little for PET.
Archive.org even has a relatively recent edition I notice now:
https://archive.org/download/TOSEC_V2017-04-23/Commodore/PET
(and seemingly ALL the rest, all 58 or so GB of Commodore stuff)

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- Wayland: Those who don't understand X
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- are condemned to reinvent it. Poorly.