VIC-20 diagnostic cartridge

I ran into several broken VIC-20s that I need to repair. One idea is to use a diagnostic cartridge. Not having one the next idea is to build one myself. I found BINs etc. on Bo's site. But one small thing is puzzling me. Two resistors have to be soldered to the cassette port plug. A picture on Bo's site says it have to be a 1K and a 2K2 one. A hand written schematic from Ray Carlsen says it each is a 27 Ohm resistor: http://www.classic-computing.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Commodore_8_Bit_Repair.pdf

Does anyone of you have this cartridge and could do me a favour by checking the values, please? Thank you!

Re: VIC-20 diagnostic cartridge

Mario Kienspergher
Hello,

I have built the cat and harnesses by myself according to Bo's schematics and can confirm the 1k and 2k2 are right, at least the diag is working correctly with these resistors. I have re-used a VIC-1211A ("3 k Super Expander") as this cart already contains 3 k RAM and a ROM socket. I desoldered 2 k RAM as only 1 k is needed by the diag software.

Regards
Mario

Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud) schrieb am 05.07.2017 07:59:

> Hallo allemaal,
>

> I ran into several broken VIC-20s that I need to repair. One idea is to use a diagnostic cartridge. Not having one the next idea is to build one myself. I found BINs etc. on Bo's site. But one small thing is puzzling me. Two resistors have to be soldered to the cassette port plug. A picture on Bo's site says it have to be a 1K and a 2K2 one. A hand written schematic from Ray Carlsen says it each is a 27 Ohm resistor: http://www.classic-computing.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Commodore_8_Bit_Repair.pdf
>

> Does anyone of you have this cartridge and could do me a favour by checking the values, please? Thank you!
>

> Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards, Ruud Baltissen
>

> www.Baltissen.org <http://www.Baltissen.org>
>

> De informatie in dit e-mailbericht is vertrouwelijk en uitsluitend bestemd voor de
> geadresseerde. Wanneer u dit bericht per abuis ontvangt, verzoeken wij u contact op te
> nemen met de afzender per kerende e-mail. Verder verzoeken wij u in dat geval dit
> e-mailbericht te vernietigen en de inhoud ervan aan niemand openbaar te maken.
> Wij aanvaarden geen aansprakelijkheid voor onjuiste, onvolledige dan wel ontijdige
> overbrenging van de inhoud van een verzonden e-mailbericht, noch voor daarbij
> overgebrachte virussen.
>
> APG Groep N.V. is gevestigd te Heerlen en is ingeschreven in het
> handelsregister van de Kamer van Koophandel Limburg onder nummer 14099617
>

> The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged.
> It may be read, copied and used only by the intended recipient.
> If you have received it in error, please contact the sender immediately by
> return e-mail; please delete in this case the e-mail and do not disclose its
> contents to any person. We don't accept liability for any errors, omissions,
> delays of receipt or viruses in the contents of this message which arise as a
> result of e-mail transmission.
>
> APG Groep N.V. is registered in the trade register of the Chamber
> of Commerce Limburg, The Netherlands, registration number: 14099617

Re: VIC-20 diagnostic cartridge

Rob Clarke

Ahh, that PDF is a presentation that Bil Herd and I did together at VCF-East a few years back.

IIRC, the resistor values are not so important. They are just there to form a voltage divider between the cassette motor line (9v ?) and GND to pull the 'sense' line to a TTL high level.

Rob

On 05/07/2017 07:59, Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud) wrote:

Hallo allemaal,

I ran into several broken VIC-20s that I need to repair. One idea is to use a diagnostic cartridge. Not having one the next idea is to build one myself. I found BINs etc. on Bo's site. But one small thing is puzzling me. Two resistors have to be soldered to the cassette port plug. A picture on Bo's site says it have to be a 1K and a 2K2 one. A hand written schematic from Ray Carlsen says it each is a 27 Ohm resistor: http://www.classic-computing.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Commodore_8_Bit_Repair.pdf

Does anyone of you have this cartridge and could do me a favour by checking the values, please? Thank you!

RE: VIC-20 diagnostic cartridge

Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud)

Hallo Rob,

Thank you for the info!

But in that case both pairs of values are wrong. The 27 Ohms resistors could work but you would need 1 Watt types. A 1K/2K2 pair would result in 2.80 Volt at the sense line; would do but a bit low IMHO.

A 1K and 1K2 pair would result in 4.90 Volt at the sense line. A 1K/1K would result in 4.5 V plus a safety marge.

RE: VIC-20 diagnostic cartridge

Hallo Mario,

> VIC-1211A ("3 k Super Expander")

I think I bumped into that one last evening, thank you for the tip!

RE: VIC-20 diagnostic cartridge

Mario Kienspergher

TTL recognizes everything above 2.0 V as HIGH input according to the standard, thus the 1k2/2k2 pair should do likely. :-)

Am 05.07.2017 9:49 vorm. schrieb "Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud)" <[hidden email]>:

Hallo Rob,

Thank you for the info!

But in that case both pairs of values are wrong. The 27 Ohms resistors could work but you would need 1 Watt types. A 1K/2K2 pair would result in 2.80 Volt at the sense line; would do but a bit low IMHO.

A 1K and 1K2 pair would result in 4.90 Volt at the sense line. A 1K/1K would result in 4.5 V plus a safety marge.