User Port plug cases

silverdr-2
http://www.sinchai.de/images/gehaese-slotblech/userportstecker-kappe.jpg

Do we have a reliable and not too expensive source of those above?

I've been buying from Donald for the last couple of years but he seems to have significantly risen the prices so I am looking for alternative or actually his bulk source.

--
SD!

Re: User Port plug cases

The Doctor

Re: User Port plug cases

[hidden email] wrote:

> http://www.sinchai.de/images/gehaese-slotblech/userportstecker-kappe.jpg
> Do we have a reliable and not too expensive source of those above?
> I've been buying from Donald for the last couple of years but he seems to have significantly risen the prices so I am looking for alternative or actually his bulk source.

I don't have a source of these above, but I have been buying bare
connectors from Ebay seller aaascrapdogsunlimited for 1.75$ per piece. I
don't know if you would be interested in them.

Re: User Port plug cases

silverdr-2

> On 2016-10-24, at 22:16, Michał Pleban <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello!
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> http://www.sinchai.de/images/gehaese-slotblech/userportstecker-kappe.jpg
>> Do we have a reliable and not too expensive source of those above?
>> I've been buying from Donald for the last couple of years but he seems to have significantly risen the prices so I am looking for alternative or actually his bulk source.
>
> I don't have a source of these above, but I have been buying bare
> connectors from Ebay seller aaascrapdogsunlimited for 1.75$ per piece. I
> don't know if you would be interested in them.

I have connectors. It's the cases/housings for them that I am running out of. And I very much prefer those I posted the link to the picture of. It's because a) they are very good and b) I have some designs around exactly those.

--
SD!

Re: User Port plug cases

> On 2016-10-24, at 22:02, The Doctor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Signed PGP part
> On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 20:51:35 +0200
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > http://www.sinchai.de/images/gehaese-slotblech/userportstecker-kappe.jpg
> > Do we have a reliable and not too expensive source of those above?
>
> The following might be of interest to you; there are small-batch fabbers out
> there who could run off some for you for a low price (if you do not have
> access to a 3D printer, that is):

Do you know what the prices would be? I am afraid those aren't going to be less expensive than the mass produced housings anyway.

--
SD!

Re: User Port plug cases

Ethan Dicks
On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 6:58 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The following might be of interest to you; there are small-batch fabbers out
>> there who could run off some for you for a low price (if you do not have
>> access to a 3D printer, that is):
>
> Do you know what the prices would be? I am afraid those aren't going to be less expensive than the mass produced housings anyway.

Frequently, prices I've encountered are approximately $10/hr of
printing time to cover plastic and the operator's supervision.  I
haven't tried printing any (though I am likely to start) but from the
size, I estimate the small ones shouldn't take more than 30 minutes,
and the larger ones could take up to 45 minutes, depending on printer
settings and speed.

They are unlikely to be less expensive than mass-produced housings if
you have to pay someone else to run a printer for you.  They won't be
as expensive if you've already bought your own printer, but the
problem is if you need 100, it will take 100 times as long as making
1.  That's where mass production pays off... high up-front cost, but
making the second batch is far, far cheaper than the first batch.

I will probably grab those files and make my own just so I have some.
I happen to have a small handful of commercial 2-piece housings for a
24-position (2x12) connector, but none for the cassette port (that
aren't already clamped on a tape drive cable).

Re: User Port plug cases

silverdr-2

> On 2016-10-25, at 01:03, Ethan Dicks <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> They are unlikely to be less expensive than mass-produced housings if
> you have to pay someone else to run a printer for you.  They won't be
> as expensive if you've already bought your own printer, but the
> problem is if you need 100, it will take 100 times as long as making
> 1.  That's where mass production pays off... high up-front cost, but
> making the second batch is far, far cheaper than the first batch.

Well, if I was to print them myself I could do JIT, but here I'd need to either design this particular case for 3D printing or redesign my stuff.

I would still prefer to bulk buy a 100 or so and be done with it.
--
SD!

Re: User Port plug cases

The Doctor