Unusual Amiga keyboard controller

I got my A2000A out of storage this weekend to check it over. Still
works, no battery damage since it looks like it was stored in a dry room
standing on the front before I got it. So when the battery leaked, the
KOH didn't cause any damage.

Expanded the memory card to 1 MB and tested the RAM with systest, works.

Should be usable for games that are happy with 512KB Chip-RAM.

When looking at the keyboard, I noticed that it's one of the early ones
made by Cherry (G80-0904) and when I opened it to clean it, I saw that
that controller is not a 6570-036 but an 8039 with a 2716 EPROM for the
code. Of course I had to desolder it and dump it since I remember dimly
that later keyboards of this kind used an 8049 with internal ROM.

If anyone is interested in about 2 KB of 8039 code, drop me a mail. I
doubt it will be a pleasant read though.

Since an 8039 is still easily available (or an 8049 switched to external
ROM), one could now make new Amiga keyboards... :)

Re: Unusual Amiga keyboard controller

Hans Liss
Hey, I have the same kind of keyboard! I'd like a copy of the ROM.

Best regards,

Hans