TraceRoute (Warning: off topic)

Howard Herman
I was hoping for a fast yes/no answer, so thought I'd ask the question
here.

Can a user of an ISP, with shell access, and after doing a traceroute
change the routing that his FTP client, or web browser uses?  Or, is this
limited to the administrator of the ISP?

Thanks!
--
                    ___  ___  ___      ___  ___
                   / //_/ // / //     / //_/ //

Re: TraceRoute (Warning: off topic)

Robin Harbron
Howard Herman wrote:
> Can a user of an ISP, with shell access, and after doing a traceroute
> change the routing that his FTP client, or web browser uses?  Or, is this
> limited to the administrator of the ISP?

IP does have an option called "Strict Source Routing" which would
force an IP packet to take a specific path over the network - if
it is unable to comply with the path, the IP packet will be discarded,
and an ICMP error will be sent back to the source.

Practically speaking, however, the only way this could be done
is with a whole bunch of custom programming (unless someone
somewhere has written a program to do this?) - so the short
answer is "no".  I think :)
--
Robin Harbron    [hidden email]
   http://www.tbaytel.net/macbeth

Re: TraceRoute (Warning: off topic)

Andre Fachat
Robin Harbron wrote:
> Howard Herman wrote:
> > Can a user of an ISP, with shell access, and after doing a traceroute
> > change the routing that his FTP client, or web browser uses?  Or, is this
> > limited to the administrator of the ISP?
>
> IP does have an option called "Strict Source Routing" which would
> force an IP packet to take a specific path over the network - if
> it is unable to comply with the path, the IP packet will be discarded,
> and an ICMP error will be sent back to the source.

Source routing is considered a security issue I think.
Linux' kernel default is to "drop source routed packets".

Andre

--
Email address may be invalid. Use "fachat AT physik DOT tu-chemnitz DOT de"
------Fight SPAM - join CAUCE http://www.cauce.org------Thanks, spammers...

Robin Harbron wrote:

> IP does have an option called "Strict Source Routing" which would

Thanks Robin.   This is exactly the information needed.
--