SuperSoft HR High Resolution Graphics Board

SuperSoft HR High Resolution Graphics Board

The SuperSoft HR boards are bitmap graphic boards that plug into newer pet motherboards. There are several variations for 40 column or 80 column PET, but in either case they provide 320x200 pixel resolution. The boards physically mount on the character ROM and Editor ROM sockets, with several flyouts to other signals, plus a connection to the CRTC chip. The firmware resides in the upper editor rom space ($E900-EFFF) and there is a control register at $EFFF. It has 8K ram at $9000-AFFF and sockets to install any option roms (they can be enabled via software).

Andy Grady, Mike Naberezny and myself are reverse-engineering these boards.

Andy has an HR40B board that's working now on his 4032, and he is converting programs from other graphic boards to the SuperSoft board. Mike has an HR80 board which is untested. I am disassembling the firmware and tracing the PCB to make a schematic.

If anyone is interested, this project is now on GitHub: https://github.com/sjgray/SuperSoft-HR

From the information we've discovered so far, the bitmapped memory organization is the same, or very similar to, the DWW graphics board. It would probably be easy to implement emulation of this board in VICE (hint hint) ;-)

Re: SuperSoft HR High Resolution Graphics Board

Rhialto
On Thu 22 Jun 2017 at 15:59:39 +0000, Steve Gray wrote:
> >From the information we've discovered so far, the bitmapped memory
> >organization is the same, or very similar to, the DWW graphics board.
> >It would probably be easy to implement emulation of this board in
> >VICE (hint hint) ;-)

I hope to get around to it; I haven't been able to spend much time on
VICE apart from building the current sources every now and then.
And they currently show some suspicious warnings regarding the DWW code
and other things... so who knows, maybe it's completely broken
currently...

> Steve
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- Wayland: Those who don't understand X
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- are condemned to reinvent it. Poorly.

Re: SuperSoft HR High Resolution Graphics Board

I tried DWW emulation in VICE 2.4 and it seems to work for a many of the demo programs on the PBE disks, although some of the demos did not. Some seemed to check for a toolkit, but I got out of memory errors when I tried to load them. Perhaps they need extra manual setup.

The SuperSoft should be simpler since it only has a one write-only latch to control modes, and the ram is always located at $9000-AFFF.

Steve

On Thu 22 Jun 2017 at 15:59:39 +0000, Steve Gray wrote:
> >From the information we've discovered so far, the bitmapped memory
> >organization is the same, or very similar to, the DWW graphics board.
> >It would probably be easy to implement emulation of this board in
> >VICE (hint hint) ;-)

I hope to get around to it; I haven't been able to spend much time on
VICE apart from building the current sources every now and then.
And they currently show some suspicious warnings regarding the DWW code
and other things... so who knows, maybe it's completely broken
currently...

> Steve

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- Wayland: Those who don't understand X
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- are condemned to reinvent it. Poorly.

Re: SuperSoft HR High Resolution Graphics Board

Jeremy-2
Steve is that basic ram? Jeremy

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
I tried DWW emulation in VICE 2.4 and it seems to work for a many of the demo programs on the PBE disks, although some of the demos did not. Some seemed to check for a toolkit, but I got out of memory errors when I tried to load them. Perhaps they need extra manual setup.

The SuperSoft should be simpler since it only has a one write-only latch to control modes, and the ram is always located at $9000-AFFF.

Steve

On Thu 22 Jun 2017 at 15:59:39 +0000, Steve Gray wrote:
> >From the information we've discovered so far, the bitmapped memory
> >organization is the same, or very similar to, the DWW graphics board.
> >It would probably be easy to implement emulation of this board in
> >VICE (hint hint) ;-)

I hope to get around to it; I haven't been able to spend much time on
VICE apart from building the current sources every now and then.
And they currently show some suspicious warnings regarding the DWW code
and other things... so who knows, maybe it's completely broken
currently...

> Steve

-Olaf.