Super CPU problem

traymond160
Hi all,

For those who own the CMD Super CPU
I have found a problem with the Enhanced SID StereoPlayerV10.3
After about 3 hours if being on loading the Enhanced Sid songs loads okay
but when it's supposed to play nothing happens pressing the F5 function key won't abort the song being played, or pressing the spacebar quits
the current song from playing
None of these won't respond the computer seems to lockup at that point.

This has happened on both the V1 and V2 Super CPU.

I thought maybe the Stereo Player files were corrupted I switched to a different SID artist loaded he player then the Played didn't lockup.
I switched back to the Sid artist songs that were looking up and then it would play, at some point though one finally did lockup the computer.

BTW these are the Compute Enhanced SID music system in the U.S.A

I don't think the Stereo Player files are corrupt but wondering if it's heat
related?  I have the cover off of the Super CPU the Ramcard broke on my V1
Im just mainly using Jiffy-Dos abd the faster processing spedd.

When I load the Stereo Player I boot in Turbo speed.
I have tried loading at just 1mhz abd this lockup still occurs.

Also I'm using the SD2UIEC using an 8GB micro SD adapter which has been fine.

I removed the Super CPU just loading on a stock C64CRev-E then the lockup dissapears, seems it's something to do with the Super CPU.

I will try a fan blowing on the Super CPU see what happens.

I haven't really seen any other problems with running the Stereo Player at
Turbo speed the little band in the upper right corner really jams out faster. 🙂

Re: Super CPU problem

smf
On 24/07/2018 19:18, Terry Raymond wrote:
> I switched back to the Sid artist songs that were looking up and then it
> would play, at some point though one finally did lockup the computer.

It could be all manner of things, if it's random then maybe it's writing
random data to one of the SuperCPU registers which doesn't cause a
problem on a standard C64 but does when the SuperCPU is plugged in.

Otherwise if it crashes on a particular song at a particular place then
it might just be that it's doing something that isn't compatible with
the SuperCPU.

Like undocumented instructions, using RMW side effects for interrupt
acknowledge.

Trying to find a song that always crashes quickly might help to track it
down.

Re: Super CPU problem

traymond160
Seems it was a heat issue I have a fair sized fan blowing directly on the Super CPU main board so far no lockups and I was able to finish my task
so problem solved.
If course I have the top cover removed from the Super CPU
with the cover on and the metal case is small doesn't take very long for the case to get warmer and overheat the unit.
I remember the Ramcard generates lots more heat, overheats causes a lockup the screen fills with vertical colored stripes on the monitor screen.

Terry Raymond

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018, 5:43 AM smf <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 24/07/2018 19:18, Terry Raymond wrote:
> I switched back to the Sid artist songs that were looking up and then it
> would play, at some point though one finally did lockup the computer.

It could be all manner of things, if it's random then maybe it's writing
random data to one of the SuperCPU registers which doesn't cause a
problem on a standard C64 but does when the SuperCPU is plugged in.

Otherwise if it crashes on a particular song at a particular place then
it might just be that it's doing something that isn't compatible with
the SuperCPU.

Like undocumented instructions, using RMW side effects for interrupt
acknowledge.

Trying to find a song that always crashes quickly might help to track it
down.

Re: Super CPU problem

dsp8bit
Do you know what is the main chip that gets hot? The CPU? the CPLD? RAM chips?
In a standby mode, does It require the fan?

Cheers,
Luis Vela
dsp8bit

El sáb., 4 de ago. de 2018 11:57 AM, Terry Raymond <[hidden email]> escribió:
Seems it was a heat issue I have a fair sized fan blowing directly on the Super CPU main board so far no lockups and I was able to finish my task
so problem solved.
If course I have the top cover removed from the Super CPU
with the cover on and the metal case is small doesn't take very long for the case to get warmer and overheat the unit.
I remember the Ramcard generates lots more heat, overheats causes a lockup the screen fills with vertical colored stripes on the monitor screen.

Terry Raymond

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018, 5:43 AM smf <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 24/07/2018 19:18, Terry Raymond wrote:
> I switched back to the Sid artist songs that were looking up and then it
> would play, at some point though one finally did lockup the computer.

It could be all manner of things, if it's random then maybe it's writing
random data to one of the SuperCPU registers which doesn't cause a
problem on a standard C64 but does when the SuperCPU is plugged in.

Otherwise if it crashes on a particular song at a particular place then
it might just be that it's doing something that isn't compatible with
the SuperCPU.

Like undocumented instructions, using RMW side effects for interrupt
acknowledge.

Trying to find a song that always crashes quickly might help to track it
down.

Luis Vela
dsp8bit
@LuisRene5

Re: Super CPU problem

traymond160
With the metal case being so small traps the heat so pretty much all of the chips!  Seems even with the cover off everything overheats, so then having the fan blowing air over everything so far it hasn't locked up anymore.

The standby mode are you referring to running in 1mhz speed or 20mhz?

The processor speed right now is only running at 1mhz!

Terry Raymond