Stuff from Dennis Jarvis

It's been a while now, so I guess it's time I made this page available. Dennis Jarvis worked at Commodore on the 1581 and C65. Dennis contacted me and sent me some disks to back up, and some hardware to look at. It took me a while (many disks were bad) and then I kinda lost interest. Sadly Dennis passed away before I could finish and my page has been in limbo ever since. Rather than leave it, I thought I'd share it and maybe someone might be able to use some of the info:

There are more disks to be posted, and I will try to get to them in the new year. I've had some help archiving the disks (still to come), but there is still more work to do to organize and present it all.

Re: Stuff from Dennis Jarvis

Do you have the hardware in hand? I would love to get hold of the C65
memory expansion to clone it. I have the 1565 clone almost done, so a
clone of memory expansion would be awesome.

Also the B128 IEC interface looks interesting, is there any info on it?

Steve Gray wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It's been a while now, so I guess it's time I made this page available.
> Dennis Jarvis worked at Commodore on the 1581 and C65. Dennis contacted
> me and sent me some disks to back up, and some hardware to look at. It
> took me a while (many disks were bad) and then I kinda lost interest.
> Sadly Dennis passed away before I could finish and my page has been in
> limbo ever since. Rather than leave it, I thought I'd share it and maybe
> someone might be able to use some of the info:
>
> Dennis Jarvis Page <http://6502.org/users/sjgray/dj/>
>

>     Dennis Jarvis Page
>

> <http://6502.org/users/sjgray/dj/>
>
> There are more disks to be posted, and I will try to get to them in the
> new year. I've had some help archiving the disks (still to come), but
> there is still more work to do to organize and present it all.
>
> Steve

Re: Stuff from Dennis Jarvis

Steve Gray
Michau,

Yes, I have everything on that page.. except for the C65 :(
I'm happy to send more detailed pics. Contact me off-list.
The B128 IEC interface schematics are available on my CBM-II webpage, and the drivers are on zimmers.

Steve

Steve Gray wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It's been a while now, so I guess it's time I made this page available.
> Dennis Jarvis worked at Commodore on the 1581 and C65. Dennis contacted
> me and sent me some disks to back up, and some hardware to look at. It
> took me a while (many disks were bad) and then I kinda lost interest.
> Sadly Dennis passed away before I could finish and my page has been in
> limbo ever since. Rather than leave it, I thought I'd share it and maybe
> someone might be able to use some of the info:
>
> Dennis Jarvis Page <http://6502.org/users/sjgray/dj/>
>

>    Dennis Jarvis Page
>

> <http://6502.org/users/sjgray/dj/>

> There are more disks to be posted, and I will try to get to them in the
> new year. I've had some help archiving the disks (still to come), but
> there is still more work to do to organize and present it all.
>
> Steve

Re: Stuff from Dennis Jarvis

silverdr-2

> On 2016-11-15, at 19:15, Steve Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Michau,
>
> Yes, I have everything on that page.. except for the C65 :(
> I'm happy to send more detailed pics. Contact me off-list.

Please stay on-list and use hyperlinks ;-)

--
SD!

Re: Stuff from Dennis Jarvis

Steve Gray
I guess the other option is posting additional pics on my page. I don't mind adding pics if there is specific interest in something. It just takes longer to make a nice web page ;-)

Steve

> On 2016-11-15, at 19:15, Steve Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Michau,
>
> Yes, I have everything on that page.. except for the C65 :(
> I'm happy to send more detailed pics. Contact me off-list.

Please stay on-list and use hyperlinks ;-)

--
SD!

Re: Stuff from Dennis Jarvis

Julian Perry
Re: Stuff from Dennis Jarvis I am indeed very interested: whether just hyperlinks in the list, or gussied up into a webpage matters not to me.

Julian

I guess the other option is posting additional pics on my page. I don't mind adding pics if there is specific interest in something. It just takes longer to make a nice web page ;-)

Steve

> Yes, I have everything on that page.. except for the C65 :(
> I'm happy to send more detailed pics. Contact me off-list.

Please stay on-list and use hyperlinks ;-)

--
SD!

Best regards,
Julian

Re: Stuff from Dennis Jarvis

On 11/15/2016 3:38 AM, Michał Pleban wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Do you have the hardware in hand? I would love to get hold of the C65
> memory expansion to clone it. I have the 1565 clone almost done, so a
> clone of memory expansion would be awesome.
Note that there are 2 versions (at least) of the memory expansion, and I
think they are incompatible.

Re: Stuff from Dennis Jarvis

Jim Brain wrote:

> Note that there are 2 versions (at least) of the memory expansion, and I
> think they are incompatible.

Yes, this seems to be a quite different board than the one referenced here:
https://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/C65

Steve, did you verify that the expansion is working?

Re: Stuff from Dennis Jarvis

Steve Gray
Sadly, no...I have no C65 to test it with. Anyone want to donate one? ;-)

Steve

> Note that there are 2 versions (at least) of the memory expansion, and I
> think they are incompatible.

Yes, this seems to be a quite different board than the one referenced here:
https://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/C65

Steve, did you verify that the expansion is working?

Re: Stuff from Dennis Jarvis

Michał Pleban
If you borrow me the memory expansion, I will gladly test it ;-)

Steve Gray wrote:

> Sadly, no...I have no C65 to test it with. Anyone want to donate one? ;-)
>
> Steve

Re: Stuff from Dennis Jarvis

william degnan
Sure...here's one right here next to my Unicorn.

On 11/16/2016 11:09 AM, Michał Pleban wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Jim Brain wrote:
>
>> Note that there are 2 versions (at least) of the memory expansion, and I
>> think they are incompatible.
>
> Yes, this seems to be a quite different board than the one referenced here:
> https://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/C65

Doesn't look too different to me. The two HM514260 are 256K x 16 DRAMs
while the other expansion has eight 256Kx4 DRAMs. Results in the same
amount of memory, 1 MB.

The board with the x16 RAMs also looks like there is space for an RTC
and battery.

Re: Stuff from Dennis Jarvis

Gerrit Heitsch wrote:

> Doesn't look too different to me. The two HM514260 are 256K x 16 DRAMs
> while the other expansion has eight 256Kx4 DRAMs. Results in the same
> amount of memory, 1 MB.

But one has one PAL chip and the other has two, the equations for the
second one are probably unknown.

Re: Stuff from Dennis Jarvis

Gerrit Heitsch
On 11/16/2016 05:09 PM, Michał Pleban wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Gerrit Heitsch wrote:
>
>> Doesn't look too different to me. The two HM514260 are 256K x 16 DRAMs
>> while the other expansion has eight 256Kx4 DRAMs. Results in the same
>> amount of memory, 1 MB.
>
> But one has one PAL chip and the other has two, the equations for the
> second one are probably unknown.

Well, yes, the x16 DRAMs probably needed some extra logic.

Re: Stuff from Dennis Jarvis

On 11/16/2016 9:58 AM, Gerrit Heitsch wrote:

> On 11/16/2016 11:09 AM, Michał Pleban wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Jim Brain wrote:
>>
>>> Note that there are 2 versions (at least) of the memory expansion,
>>> and I
>>> think they are incompatible.
>>
>> Yes, this seems to be a quite different board than the one referenced
>> here:
>> https://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/C65
>
> Doesn't look too different to me. The two HM514260 are 256K x 16 DRAMs
> while the other expansion has eight 256Kx4 DRAMs. Results in the same
> amount of memory, 1 MB.
>
> The board with the x16 RAMs also looks like there is space for an RTC
> and battery.
>
>  Gerrit

I didn't state the differences were major (though moving from x8 to x16
is a pretty non trivial change), but I can confirm they are incompatible
in some versions of the C65.

Re: Stuff from Dennis Jarvis

Just a note... I have updated my Dennis Jarvis page. I have added many new images, disk listings, and zip files.
And if you look very carefully you might find..... actual C64 (VIC-40) KERNAL and BASIC source code!

A big thanks to Mike Naberezny for all his hard work imaging disks I couldn't read, and also for hosting this and my other web pages!

Steve

It's been a while now, so I guess it's time I made this page available. Dennis Jarvis worked at Commodore on the 1581 and C65. Dennis contacted me and sent me some disks to back up, and some hardware to look at. It took me a while (many disks were bad) and then I kinda lost interest. Sadly Dennis passed away before I could finish and my page has been in limbo ever since. Rather than leave it, I thought I'd share it and maybe someone might be able to use some of the info:

There are more disks to be posted, and I will try to get to them in the new year. I've had some help archiving the disks (still to come), but there is still more work to do to organize and present it all.

Re: Stuff from Dennis Jarvis

Jim Brain
On 6/12/2017 11:17 PM, Steve Gray wrote:
Hi,

Just a note... I have updated my Dennis Jarvis page. I have added many new images, disk listings, and zip files.
And if you look very carefully you might find..... actual C64 (VIC-40) KERNAL and BASIC source code!

A big thanks to Mike Naberezny for all his hard work imaging disks I couldn't read, and also for hosting this and my other web pages!
The links on the pics seem to be broken.

Re: Stuff from Dennis Jarvis

Clockmeister

On 13/06/2017 12:17 PM, Steve Gray wrote:
> Hi,
> Just a note... I have updated my Dennis Jarvis page. I have added many new images, disk listings, and zip files.And if you look very carefully you might find..... actual C64 (VIC-40) KERNAL and BASIC source code!
> A big thanks to Mike Naberezny for all his hard work imaging disks I couldn't read, and also for hosting this and my other web pages!
> Steve

That's really cool. I did notice that the enlarged hardware image links
are broken, can that be fixed?

Re: Stuff from Dennis Jarvis

They are working for me. try clearing your cache.

Steve

Re: Stuff from Dennis Jarvis

Steve Gray
Opps, ok, so I had some JPG extensions in uppercase in the file, but lowercase in the html reference.... fixed.

Steve