Strange C16 board

there is currently an auction on ebay for a rather strange board found
in a Commodore 16:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/201914810689

I don't recommend bidding on it (unless you have a lot of money to
spare), but just looking at the photos of the board is worth it.

Someone here having seen such a board anywhere else?

Re: Strange C16 board

Anders Carlsson

Den 2017-05-06 kl. 18:45, skrev Gerrit Heitsch:
> Someone here having seen such a board anywhere else?
Since it says C-16, I suppose that prototype was made after the 232,
264, 364 models. While those were not production models, I don't know if
they just as well are considered prototypes or how the motherboards look
like.

It will be interesting to follow the bidding on this one, as I can
compare to my TED developer board that predates this one by nearly six
months and has a different look. My board though is not functional, but
if the market value reaches 1000 Euros, I might consider letting an
expert try to fix it up.

Best regards

Anders Carlsson

Re: Strange C16 board

HÁRSFALVI Levente-2
On 2017-05-06 18:45, Gerrit Heitsch wrote:
> there is currently an auction on ebay for a rather strange board found
> in a Commodore 16:

Hmmm, should this one suggest that, at some point, C= might have had the
idea of cutting down manufacturing costs by producing the C16 mainboard
on single layer phenol paper PCBs?

Levente

Re: Strange C16 board

What is going on with all those wire links?

On 06/05/2017 17:45, Gerrit Heitsch wrote:

> Hello,
>
> there is currently an auction on ebay for a rather strange board found
> in a Commodore 16:
>
> http://www.ebay.de/itm/201914810689
>
> I don't recommend bidding on it (unless you have a lot of money to
> spare), but just looking at the photos of the board is worth it.
>
> Someone here having seen such a board anywhere else?
>
>  Gerrit

Re: Strange C16 board

Gerrit Heitsch
On 05/06/2017 11:26 PM, smf wrote:
> What is going on with all those wire links?

Boards with traces on only one side need those.

  Gerrit

> On 06/05/2017 17:45, Gerrit Heitsch wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> there is currently an auction on ebay for a rather strange board found
>> in a Commodore 16:
>>
>> http://www.ebay.de/itm/201914810689
>>
>> I don't recommend bidding on it (unless you have a lot of money to
>> spare), but just looking at the photos of the board is worth it.
>>
>> Someone here having seen such a board anywhere else?
>>
>>  Gerrit
>>

>>       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Re: Strange C16 board

Rob Clarke
IIRC from what Bil told me, this was exactly the plan for the C16. It
was designed some weeks after the original 264 concept was completed,
which seems to match from the date codes.

On 06/05/2017 22:39, Gerrit Heitsch wrote:
> Boards with traces on only one side need those.

Is that cheaper than a double sided board?

Re: Strange C16 board

vossi
I have a Panasonic FS-A1 MSX2 here.
It has exactly such a single layer board with wire-bridges.
Why should they did that, if it's not cheaper? (in the second half of the 80s)

Here is a picture: https://www.msx.org/wiki/images/0/00/Panasonic_FS-A1_pcb.jpg

Christian

Re: Strange C16 board

Gerrit Heitsch
On 05/10/2017 04:09 PM, vossi wrote:
> I have a Panasonic FS-A1 MSX2 here.
> It has exactly such a single layer board with wire-bridges.
> Why should they did that, if it's not cheaper? (in the second half of the
> 80s)
>
> Here is a picture:
> https://www.msx.org/wiki/images/0/00/Panasonic_FS-A1_pcb.jpg

Well, there is also FCC approval, boards like this might be more noisy
RF wise. Knowing Commodore, they did pick the cheapest solution in the end.

Re: Strange C16 board

Segher Boessenkool
On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 07:09:07AM -0700, vossi wrote:
> I have a Panasonic FS-A1 MSX2 here.
> It has exactly such a single layer board with wire-bridges.
> Why should they did that, if it's not cheaper? (in the second half of the
> 80s)

It is cheaper.  Single-sided is also much easier to do, if you etch
the boards manually -- this might matter for a prototype board.

Segher

Re: Strange C16 board

peter
May 10, 2017 10:21 AM, "vossi" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have a Panasonic FS-A1 MSX2 here.
> It has exactly such a single layer board with wire-bridges.
> Why should they did that, if it's not cheaper? (in the second half of the
> 80s)
>
> Here is a picture:
> https://www.msx.org/wiki/images/0/00/Panasonic_FS-A1_pcb.jpg

Wow- that is sparse!

-Pete

Re: Strange C16 board

Clockmeister
Wow, quite minimalist but not surprising as I've seen similar one-sided
PCB's in VCR's and even fairly recently in those cheap and nasty Chinese
CD/radio cassette players.