Retrobright

traymond
Hi
I have the different recipes for Retrobright
Hydrogen Peroxide
OXY Clean
Corn Starch for thickener

Then paint on with paintbrush wrap with plastic wrap.
Let sit in sun and rotate  case etc, but how long and when would I need to rotate plastic?

Re: Retrobright

hegedusis
Hi,

My experience with the plastic wrap is that it causes patch effects. I would not recommend that. It is better to keep your eyes on it and reapply retrobright when it dries.
When it is on the sun you will see the color change and know when it is ready.

Istvan

Re: Retrobright

Julian Perry
Re: Retrobright My experience with Retrobrighting was with oxy laundry bleach and a fluorescent black-light. I took a few photos HERE.
The temperature of the water has to exceed 55c for it to release peroxide, and it took 3 cycles, with about 400G of oxy bleach in each batch.
The discolouration of the plastic was more severe than the photo indicates (but not as bad as I've seen it), and the result whiter than it looks in the final assembled photo, but the difference was striking. Unlike some reports the bleaching has held after 4 years and the machine still looks great.

The rather ghoulish unearthly blue glow is of course due to the fluorescent dye in modern bleaches to make things "Whiter than white".

I prefer a lighter hand with things like retrobrighting, and don't aim for gleaming pristine newness at all costs. label damage, blotchiness and surface damage can make matters worse: something I have, unfortunately experienced.

I also have a natural wariness of caustic chemicals.

Julian

Hi,

My experience with the plastic wrap is that it causes patch effects. I would not recommend that. It is better to keep your eyes on it and reapply retrobright when it dries.
When it is on the sun you will see the color change and know when it is ready.

Istvan

Julian

Re: Retrobright

hegedusis
Yeah, I have forgotten the label damage. I used to stick a transparent tape on the labels like scotch tape. It protects the label from direct impact.

Julian

Re: Retrobright

>> Hi
>> I have the different recipes for Retrobright
>> Hydrogen Peroxide
>> OXY Clean
>> Corn Starch for thickener
>>
>> Then paint on with paintbrush wrap with plastic wrap.
>> Let sit in sun and rotate  case etc, but how long and when would I need to rotate plastic?

> My experience with the plastic wrap is that it causes patch effects. I would not recommend that. It is better to keep your eyes on it and reapply retrobright when it dries.

There are dozens of recipes for that and very few of them give decent results. Wrapping is generally used to keep the vapour trapped and prevent drying. Yet if the wrapping touches the treated surface you'll mostly get patchy results. If you let the mixture dry, you'll get patchy results too. If you keep reapplying you'll get somewhat less patchy results. If you use the xantan gum mixture, the least patchy result might be achieved with regular (preferably distilled) water fog-spraying over the treated surface. Yet google may give you dozens more approaches ;-)

Re: Retrobright

> On 2017-06-12, at 13:58, Julian Perry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My experience with Retrobrighting was with oxy laundry bleach and a fluorescent black-light. I took a few photos HERE.
> The temperature of the water has to exceed 55c for it to release peroxide, and it took 3 cycles, with about 400G of oxy bleach in each batch.

1 batch = 1 cycle?

What was the duration of one cycle/batch?

Re: Retrobright

Julian Perry
Re: Retrobright Hello Silverdr,

[hidden email]> wrote:

>> My experience with Retrobrighting was with oxy laundry bleach and a fluorescent black-light. I took a few photos HERE.
>> The temperature of the water has to exceed 55c for it to release peroxide, and it took 3 cycles, with about 400G of oxy bleach in each batch.

> 1 batch = 1 cycle?
Yes - that's what I meant. I'd mix it up a bucketfull, then pour it into the shallow tray thinggy, lower in the part(s) to be retrobrited and ensure that it is completely held under, with the discoloured side facing up (so that it receives the light of the UV tube). Then I'd drop the tube (mounted on a wooden plank) over the lot and turn it on.

> What was the duration of one cycle/batch?

Overnight: about 6 hours or so. Most of the bleaching seemed to occur in the first 2 hours, so you could speed it up by cycling it every three hours or so. Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Re: Retrobright

silverdr-2

> On 2017-06-13, at 14:00, Julian Perry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >> My experience with Retrobrighting was with oxy laundry bleach and a fluorescent black-light. I took a few photos HERE.
> >> The temperature of the water has to exceed 55c
> [...]
> Overnight: about 6 hours or so. Most of the bleaching seemed to occur in the first 2 hours, so you could speed it up by cycling it every three hours or so.

I see - and how did you keep it over 55C? A heater with thermostat or something?

[hidden email]> wrote:

>> [...]
>> Overnight: about 6 hours or so. Most of the bleaching seemed to occur in the first 2 hours, so you could speed it up by cycling it every three hours or so.

> I see - and how did you keep it over 55C? A heater with thermostat or something?

I didn't. The oxy cleaner stuff releases it's peroxide at that temperature which (mostly) gets dissolved, then it then cools. I suspect that's why most of the work is done in the first few hours (and why it usually needs to be done several times)

It's not "optimal" - but it works. You almost don't think it's doing anything then you rinse it off, and compare it to before and it certainly has.

[hidden email] Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Re: Retrobright

silverdr-2

> >> [...]
> >> Overnight: about 6 hours or so. Most of the bleaching seemed to occur in the first 2 hours, so you could speed it up by cycling it every three hours or so.
>
> > I see - and how did you keep it over 55C? A heater with thermostat or something?
>
> I didn't. The oxy cleaner stuff releases it's peroxide at that temperature which (mostly) gets dissolved, then it then cools. I suspect that's why most of the work is done in the first few hours (and why it usually needs to be done several times)
>
> It's not "optimal" - but it works. You almost don't think it's doing anything then you rinse it off, and compare it to before and it certainly has.

SO you basically dissolve the oxy in hot water and then you illuminate it with "black light" overnight. Rinse and repeat three times.

Good. Everything's good that works. I found all the "original" and "improved" retr0bright recipes doing as much harm as good, next to requiring definitely non-negligible effort. I eventually found one that works well but takes lots of time. Yours seem as best compromise. Shall have to try it.

Re: Retrobright

Julian Perry
Re: Retrobright Hello Silverdr,

> SO you basically dissolve the oxy in hot water and then you
> illuminate it with "black light" overnight. Rinse and repeat three times.
Yes.

> Good. Everything's good that works. I found all the "original" and
> "improved" retr0bright recipes doing as much harm as good, next to
> requiring definitely non-negligible effort. I eventually found one
> that works well but takes lots of time. Yours seem as best compromise. Shall have to try it.

Do bear in mind that not all laundry bleaches work: you need ones that have the active ingredient of Sodium Percarbonate. Usually "Oxy" brighteners are the ones to get, but check the label.

Julian Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Re: Retrobright

Rainer Buchty
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017, Terry Raymond wrote:

> I have the different recipes for Retrobright
> Hydrogen Peroxide
> OXY Clean
> Corn Starch for thickener

Add a further receipe:

12% "Cream Oxide" sold as coffeur supply with a dash of Vanish Oxy
Action (per 100g Cream Oxide add about half a teaspoon of Oxy Action).

The guy uses 3x3W UV LEDs and about 24-48h of bleaching time.

See this (German, so you might want to apply a translator) amazon review
thread:

  https://www.amazon.de/review/R2UHLAZNGPFHA4/

One reply says that the Cream Oxide is enough, though that guy is using
a 36W UV tube.

Rainer

Re: Retrobright

traymond
In the U.S.A. there is a guy that produces videos and grew up with Commodore computers:

David Murray
He discovered a stronger Peroxide solution that already is of a creamy consistency
in any  Beauty Salon it appears Im going to try this.

-Terry Raymond

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 7:58 AM, Rainer Buchty <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017, Terry Raymond wrote:

I have the different recipes for Retrobright
Hydrogen Peroxide
OXY Clean
Corn Starch for thickener

Add a further receipe:

12% "Cream Oxide" sold as coffeur supply with a dash of Vanish Oxy Action (per 100g Cream Oxide add about half a teaspoon of Oxy Action).

The guy uses 3x3W UV LEDs and about 24-48h of bleaching time.

See this (German, so you might want to apply a translator) amazon review thread:

        https://www.amazon.de/review/R2UHLAZNGPFHA4/

One reply says that the Cream Oxide is enough, though that guy is using a 36W UV tube.

Rainer

Re: Retrobright

Jeremy-2
Terry, that link is spam. Jeremy