Reloaded Mk-II compatibility

silverdr@wfmh.org.pl
Wondering if anyone has taken Jens's board for a real spin in terms of compatibility testing? Something like really tricky demos or something?

Re: Reloaded Mk-II compatibility

Groepaz
Am Freitag, 25. Mai 2018, 23:26:49 CEST schrieb [hidden email]:
> Wondering if anyone has taken Jens's board for a real spin in terms of
> compatibility testing? Something like really tricky demos or something?

of course. and its about as compatible as a c64 could be :)

--

http://hitmen.eu                 http://ar.pokefinder.org
http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net  http://magicdisk.untergrund.net

To most Christians, the Bible is like a Software license. Nobody actually
reads it. They just scroll to the bottom and click "I agree."

Re: Reloaded Mk-II compatibility

J. Alexander Jacocks
On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 5:35 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am Freitag, 25. Mai 2018, 23:26:49 CEST schrieb [hidden email]:
> Wondering if anyone has taken Jens's board for a real spin in terms of
> compatibility testing? Something like really tricky demos or something?

of course. and its about as compatible as a c64 could be :)

The only incompatibility that I’m aware of is with the Wimodem, which causes video interference only on the reloaded boards.

- Alex

Am Samstag, 26. Mai 2018, 01:43:05 CEST schrieb J. Alexander Jacocks:
> On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 5:35 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 25. Mai 2018, 23:26:49 CEST schrieb [hidden email]:
> > > Wondering if anyone has taken Jens's board for a real spin in terms of
> > > compatibility testing? Something like really tricky demos or something?
> >
> > of course. and its about as compatible as a c64 could be :)
>
> The only incompatibility that I’m aware of is with the Wimodem, which
> causes video interference only on the reloaded boards.

thats not really an "incompatibility" though... just a bad power consumption
issue :) (get the power from 9V rail like BOs wifi modem - and all is fine)

--

http://hitmen.eu                 http://ar.pokefinder.org
http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net  http://magicdisk.untergrund.net

No one can earn a million dollars honestly.
<William Jennings Bryan>

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 7:47 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am Samstag, 26. Mai 2018, 01:43:05 CEST schrieb J. Alexander Jacocks:
> On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 5:35 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 25. Mai 2018, 23:26:49 CEST schrieb [hidden email]:
> > > Wondering if anyone has taken Jens's board for a real spin in terms of
> > > compatibility testing? Something like really tricky demos or something?
> >
> > of course. and its about as compatible as a c64 could be :)
>
> The only incompatibility that I’m aware of is with the Wimodem, which
> causes video interference only on the reloaded boards.

thats not really an "incompatibility" though... just a bad power consumption
issue :) (get the power from 9V rail like BOs wifi modem - and all is fine)

Well, true, but I call it that because the actual C64 and C128 don't suffer from the problem.

- Alex

Am Samstag, 26. Mai 2018, 02:18:55 CEST schrieb J. Alexander Jacocks:

> On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 7:47 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > of

> > something?

> > > The only incompatibility that I’m aware of is with the Wimodem, which
> > > causes video interference only on the reloaded boards.
> >
> > thats not really an "incompatibility" though... just a bad power
> > consumption
> > issue :) (get the power from 9V rail like BOs wifi modem - and all is
> > fine)
>
> Well, true, but I call it that because the actual C64 and C128 don't suffer
> from the problem.

actually they do, just not all, and its less visible :)

--

http://hitmen.eu                 http://ar.pokefinder.org
http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net  http://magicdisk.untergrund.net

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!

Re: Reloaded Mk-II compatibility

> Wondering if anyone has taken Jens's board for a real spin in terms of
> compatibility testing? Something like really tricky demos or something?

I only wonder what the advantage of this board is? It cannot appeal
to the people who want to revive their old days because they have to
find the missing ICs first. Something not needed with Gideon's
remake of the C64.

Regarding the parts, does it mean I have to scrap a working C64
first to be able to use it? Two if you want stereo. No, I'm sorry
but this equipment is not convincing.

Am Samstag, 26. Mai 2018, 14:53:52 CEST schrieb [hidden email]:
> Hallo allemaal,
>
> > Wondering if anyone has taken Jens's board for a real spin in terms of
> > compatibility testing? Something like really tricky demos or something?
>
> I only wonder what the advantage of this board is? It cannot appeal
> to the people who want to revive their old days because they have to
> find the missing ICs first. Something not needed with Gideon's
> remake of the C64.

those are really two completely different things - and it will still take a
couple years until U64 is nearly as compatible (1541U still has VIA bugs,
after 10 years or so)

> Regarding the parts, does it mean I have to scrap a working C64
> first to be able to use it? Two if you want stereo. No, I'm sorry
> but this equipment is not convincing.

its obviously not for people who dont have a bunch of C64s yet... or who are
scared of buying a couple ICs elsewhere :=)

i like it mostly for two reasons:

- can use a small, lightweight, powersupply. reduces the total weight of my
party equipment by a half
- super easy install of two different SID chips, which you can toggle at
runtime. (i am not using stereo at all - but being able to use the "right" SID
for whatever is running is very nice)

--

http://hitmen.eu                 http://ar.pokefinder.org
http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net  http://magicdisk.untergrund.net

'man' is short for 'manual' because it's very short, for a manual.

Re: Reloaded Mk-II compatibility

smf
On 26/05/2018 14:03, [hidden email] wrote:

> i like it mostly for two reasons:
>
> - can use a small, lightweight, powersupply. reduces the total weight of my
> party equipment by a half
> - super easy install of two different SID chips, which you can toggle at
> runtime. (i am not using stereo at all - but being able to use the "right" SID
> for whatever is running is very nice)

I have 2 c64's and 3 c128's and none of them work right.

I'd like to actually use one without having to sit for days stressing
over why they don't work.

Re: Reloaded Mk-II compatibility

Francesco Messineo
On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 4:17 PM, smf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26/05/2018 14:03, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> i like it mostly for two reasons:
>>
>> - can use a small, lightweight, powersupply. reduces the total weight of
>> my
>> party equipment by a half
>> - super easy install of two different SID chips, which you can toggle at
>> runtime. (i am not using stereo at all - but being able to use the "right"
>> SID
>> for whatever is running is very nice)
>

> I have 2 c64's and 3 c128's and none of them work right.

I have 5 C64s (only two of the same PCB revision) and 2 SX64 and all work fine.
All but 3 of them needed repair, but after that they're solid and reliable.
I find quite easy to repair them I must confess.

> I'd like to actually use one without having to sit for days stressing over
> why they don't work.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that can repair a C64. Besides, I've
sometimes bought some ebays "untested" bargains and the majority
worked without any need to repair.

On 26/05/2018 19:31, Francesco Messineo wrote:
> I'm sure I'm not the only one that can repair a C64. Besides, I've
> sometimes bought some ebays "untested" bargains and the majority
> worked without any need to repair.

People want ridiculous prices for untested ones here.

Re: Reloaded Mk-II compatibility

Mike Stein
Where's 'here' ?

On 26/05/2018 21:40, Mike Stein wrote:
> Where's 'here' ?

UK

Re: Reloaded Mk-II compatibility

> On 2018-05-26, at 14:53, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Wondering if anyone has taken Jens's board for a real spin in terms of
>> compatibility testing? Something like really tricky demos or something?
>
> I only wonder what the advantage of this board is? It cannot appeal
> to the people who want to revive their old days because they have to
> find the missing ICs first. Something not needed with Gideon's
> remake of the C64.
>
> Regarding the parts, does it mean I have to scrap a working C64
> first to be able to use it? Two if you want stereo. No, I'm sorry
> but this equipment is not convincing.

I have all the chips. Some NOS, some from already scrapped (for one reason or another) machines. What I seem to find most tempting is the advertised ability to accept any combination of VIC/SID "on-the-fly" so that I could have e. g. one board for testing all of them without any changes to the board.

Re: Reloaded Mk-II compatibility

> On 2018-05-26, at 15:03, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> i like it mostly for two reasons:
>
> - can use a small, lightweight, powersupply. reduces the total weight of my
> party equipment by a half
> - super easy install of two different SID chips, which you can toggle at
> runtime. (i am not using stereo at all - but being able to use the "right" SID
> for whatever is running is very nice)

So you are actually an active user, right?

Re: Reloaded Mk-II compatibility

>>> of course. and its about as compatible as a c64 could be :)
>>
>> The only incompatibility that I’m aware of is with the Wimodem, which
>> causes video interference only on the reloaded boards.
>
> thats not really an "incompatibility" though... just a bad power consumption
> issue :) (get the power from 9V rail like BOs wifi modem - and all is fine)

Is this on the USER PORT? Could you elaborate a bit on that? Doesn't the "Reloaded" supply the same power there as the original ones do?

Am Montag, 28. Mai 2018, 09:45:55 CEST schrieb [hidden email]:

> > On 2018-05-26, at 15:03, [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> > i like it mostly for two reasons:
> >
> > - can use a small, lightweight, powersupply. reduces the total weight of
> > my
> > party equipment by a half
> > - super easy install of two different SID chips, which you can toggle at
> > runtime. (i am not using stereo at all - but being able to use the "right"
> > SID for whatever is running is very nice)
>
> So you are actually an active user, right?

of course :)

--

http://hitmen.eu                 http://ar.pokefinder.org
http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net  http://magicdisk.untergrund.net

The weirder you are going to behave, the more normal you should look... When I
see a kid with three or four rings in his nose, I know there is absolutely
nothing extraordinary about that person.
<P.J. O'Rourke>

Am Montag, 28. Mai 2018, 09:50:06 CEST schrieb [hidden email]:

> >> The only incompatibility that I’m aware of is with the Wimodem, which
> >> causes video interference only on the reloaded boards.
> >
> > thats not really an "incompatibility" though... just a bad power
> > consumption issue :) (get the power from 9V rail like BOs wifi modem -
> > and all is fine)
> Is this on the USER PORT? Could you elaborate a bit on that? Doesn't the
> "Reloaded" supply the same power there as the original ones do?

yes, and it does. the problem with that "wimodem" is that it draws excessive
power in pulses, which the PLL used for the 8701 replacement doesnt like (the
same problem exists on C64s that just use that PLL replacement).

--

http://hitmen.eu                 http://ar.pokefinder.org
http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net  http://magicdisk.untergrund.net

When animal-rights activists and right-to-life protesters are marching outside
your laboratory, then you know you've definitely made progress in your
artificial life research.
<Donald A. Smith>

On 28/05/2018 11:44, [hidden email] wrote:
> yes, and it does. the problem with that "wimodem" is that it draws excessive
> power in pulses, which the PLL used for the 8701 replacement doesnt like (the
> same problem exists on C64s that just use that PLL replacement).

Are there any untouched c64 that are affected, or just those that have
had http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/CSG8701-replacement fitted?

Am Montag, 28. Mai 2018, 14:21:38 CEST schrieb smf:
> On 28/05/2018 11:44, [hidden email] wrote:
> > yes, and it does. the problem with that "wimodem" is that it draws
> > excessive power in pulses, which the PLL used for the 8701 replacement
> > doesnt like (the same problem exists on C64s that just use that PLL
> > replacement).
>
> Are there any untouched c64 that are affected, or just those that have
> had http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/CSG8701-replacement fitted?

like said before, the problems also exists on regular C64s, but its much less
visible (the original circuit is more tolerant to spikes on the 5V rail)

--

http://hitmen.eu                 http://ar.pokefinder.org
http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net  http://magicdisk.untergrund.net

If you look at scrollback and the last 30 lines are from you ... please shut
up
<Moloch/Arkanix Labs>

12