Re: TFR

Joel Ricci

http://rrforum.ath.cx has a lot of Retro Replay, RR-Net, MMC64 and ROM
related info (in English) :-)

----- Original Message -----
> Are there any instructions anywhere on how to reflash my retro-replay
> with the rom from http://www.oxyron.de/html/freplay.html ?
> I can transfer prgs and .d64s using my MMC64, but don't know what to  do
> with them.
>
> Help! :)

Re: TFR

Christopher Phillips-2

On 04/12/2006, at 20:04 , Joel Ricci wrote:

> http://rrforum.ath.cx has a lot of Retro Replay, RR-Net, MMC64 and
> ROM related info (in English) :-)

Excellent, thanks!

VIC-1541 problem

Andrew Wiskow
I've got an issue with an old off-white VIC-1541 disk
drive...  It doesn't play well with others, for some
reason...  I've plugged it into a C64 and a C64c by
itself, and it works just fine...  But plug other
drives into the serial chain, and none of the drives
work.  All drives are assigned different drive
numbers.  I've also tried swapping out the serial
cables, but it sttill doesn't work.  Has anyone heard
of this happening before?  Any ideas how it can be
fixed???

-Andrew

Re: VIC-1541 problem

Marko Mäkelä-3
On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 04:15:54AM -0300, Andrew Wiskow wrote:

> I've got an issue with an old off-white VIC-1541 disk
> drive...  It doesn't play well with others, for some
> reason...  I've plugged it into a C64 and a C64c by
> itself, and it works just fine...  But plug other
> drives into the serial chain, and none of the drives
> work.  All drives are assigned different drive
> numbers.  I've also tried swapping out the serial
> cables, but it sttill doesn't work.  Has anyone heard
> of this happening before?  Any ideas how it can be
> fixed???

You could try replacing the chips connected to the serial interface.
They could be slightly damaged in such a way that they are putting
more load on the serial lines.

For more information, see the service manual
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/schematics/drives/new/1541/service/
and the (slightly unreadable) schematic diagram for the long board:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/schematics/drives/new/1541/tech/1541-35.gif

I'd replace the UC1 (74LS14) and UD1 (7406).  The newer (short) board
has similar inverters near the serial bus.  I don't know of the 1541-II;
it might have these integrated in a big ASIC.

Re: VIC-1541 problem

raycomp
The Vic-1541 (is that also called 1540 on the back?) has an old
version of  the Commodore Dos on  ROM - try swapping that ROM for a
newer revision.

--Ray

On Dec 12, 2006, at 1:15 AM, Andrew Wiskow wrote:

> I've got an issue with an old off-white VIC-1541 disk
> drive...  It doesn't play well with others, for some
> reason...  I've plugged it into a C64 and a C64c by
> itself, and it works just fine...  But plug other
> drives into the serial chain, and none of the drives
> work.  All drives are assigned different drive
> numbers.  I've also tried swapping out the serial
> cables, but it sttill doesn't work.  Has anyone heard
> of this happening before?  Any ideas how it can be
> fixed???
>
> -Andrew

|Raymond C. Bryan  651-642-9890 vox      | The battle is sometimes |
|Raymond Computer  651-642-9891 fax     | to the small
for                 |
|795 Raymond Ave   -email:  raycomp         | the bigger they
are          |
|St Paul MN  55114    _at_visi_dot_com      | the harder they
fall.         |
|USA              Amiga - Commodore                |     -- James
Thurber --     |
http://www.raymondcomputer.com

Re: VIC-1541 problem

Andrew Wiskow

--- Marko Mäkelä <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> You could try replacing the chips connected to the
> serial interface.
> They could be slightly damaged in such a way that
> they are putting
> more load on the serial lines.
>
> For more information, see the service manual

http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/schematics/drives/new/1541/service/
> and the (slightly unreadable) schematic diagram for
> the long board:

http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/schematics/drives/new/1541/tech/1541-35.gif

> I'd replace the UC1 (74LS14) and UD1 (7406).  The
> newer (short) board
> has similar inverters near the serial bus.  I don't
> know of the 1541-II;
> it might have these integrated in a big ASIC.

I did try replacing the chip labeled as UAB1 on the
board. UC1 and UD1 are the two small chips right
"below" UAB1 if you're looking at the board from the
drive opening.  They're non-socketed chips.  I think
I'm probably better off just keeping this drive around
as a large paper weight (and future use for spare
parts) and getting a replacement rather than fix it.
Thanks anyway for your help though!

-Andrew

Re: VIC-1541 problem

Marko Mäkelä-3
On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 06:06:10PM -0300, Andrew Wiskow wrote:

> > I'd replace the UC1 (74LS14) and UD1 (7406).  The
> > newer (short) board
> > has similar inverters near the serial bus.  I don't
> > know of the 1541-II;
> > it might have these integrated in a big ASIC.
> >

> I did try replacing the chip labeled as UAB1 on the
> board. UC1 and UD1 are the two small chips right
> "below" UAB1 if you're looking at the board from the
> drive opening.  They're non-socketed chips.

They're non-socketed, but small chips are easy to desolder.  If you want
to avoid any damage to the circuit board, cut the pins with wire cutters
and remove them one by one.  Grab the pin with pliers and heat it with
a soldering iron until it comes loose.

The 74LS14 and 7406 should be cheap and easy to obtain, so you can
blindly replace both chips.

> I think I'm probably better off just keeping this drive around
> as a large paper weight (and future use for spare
> parts) and getting a replacement rather than fix it.

Well, the main thing is that you don't throw it away.  For the record,
can you post the part numbers of the ROM chips?  I don't think that
this is a firmware issue, or I must have forgotten something.  The only
possible firmware problem I can think of is the timing of the ATN handshake,
but as far as I remember, it wasn't changed between the 1540 and the 1541.

Re: VIC-1541 problem

William Levak-4
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, Andrew Wiskow wrote:

> Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 04:15:54 -0300 (ART)
> From: Andrew Wiskow <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: VIC-1541 problem
>
> I've got an issue with an old off-white VIC-1541 disk
> drive...  It doesn't play well with others, for some
> reason...  I've plugged it into a C64 and a C64c by
> itself, and it works just fine...  But plug other
> drives into the serial chain, and none of the drives
> work.  All drives are assigned different drive
> numbers.  I've also tried swapping out the serial
> cables, but it sttill doesn't work.  Has anyone heard
> of this happening before?  Any ideas how it can be
> fixed???

Does it do the same thing if it is the last drive in the chain?

Broken 1571

Joel Ricci
Hi!
Just bought a 1571 drive but it's not working. On power up it just sits
there spinning forever with just the red Power led on. There's no Drive led
on and it wont respond to commands. Any ideas where to start?

Regards,

Joel

RE: Broken 1571

ruud.baltissen
Hallo Joel,

> Any ideas where to start?

Check first if the board is powered in the right way.

Then what about exchanging parts with another 1571? And If you don't have one, a 1541 will do as well; you can at least test the 6502 and 6522's. About the ROM, (the idea just popped up) IMHO it should be possible to test it in 1541-II. To extend the idea: IMHO it is possible to start a 1571 with the ROM of a 1541-II.

Good luck!

--
     ___
    / __|__

De informatie in dit e-mailbericht is vertrouwelijk en uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Wanneer u dit bericht per abuis ontvangt, verzoeken wij u contact op te nemen met de afzender per kerende e-mail. Verder verzoeken wij u in dat geval dit e-mailbericht te vernietigen en de inhoud ervan aan niemand openbaar te maken. Wij aanvaarden geen aansprakelijkheid voor onjuiste, onvolledige dan wel ontijdige overbrenging van de inhoud van een verzonden e-mailbericht, noch voor daarbij overgebrachte virussen.

Stichting Pensioenfonds ABP is gevestigd te Heerlen en ingeschreven bij de Kamer van Koophandel Zuid Limburg onder nummer: 41074000

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. It may be read, copied and used only by the intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please contact the sender immediately by return e-mail; please delete in this case the e-mail and do not disclose its contents to any person. We don't accept liability for any errors, omissions, delays of receipt or viruses in the contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.

Stichting Pensioenfonds ABP, having its registered office at Heerlen, is registered in the Traderegister of the Chamber of Commerce Zuid Limburg (Maastricht), the Netherlands, registration number: 41074000

RE: Broken 1571

Anders Carlsson
Hi,

>> Any ideas where to start?
> Check first if the board is powered in the right way.

If I recall correctly, +5V is for the logic board and +12V is for
the mechanism, or if it is the other way around?. If the voltage
for the logic board is bad, it won't boot properly and the disk
will keep spinning infinitely? Of course there could be more severe
faults than that, but with my very limited experience, there is
where I would begin to investigate.

--
Anders Carlsson

Re: Broken 1571

B Degnan
Your 6522 chip.  Try that first.
Bill Degnan

At 07:51 AM 12/13/2006 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi!
>Just bought a 1571 drive but it's not working. On power up it just sits
>there spinning forever with just the red Power led on. There's no Drive
>led on and it wont respond to commands. Any ideas where to start?
>
>Regards,
>
>Joel

Re: VIC-1541 problem

Andrew Wiskow

--- Marko Mäkelä <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> Well, the main thing is that you don't throw it
> away.  For the record,
> can you post the part numbers of the ROM chips?  I
> don't think that
> this is a firmware issue, or I must have forgotten
> something.  The only
> possible firmware problem I can think of is the
> timing of the ATN handshake,
> but as far as I remember, it wasn't changed between
> the 1540 and the 1541.

Thanks again, Marko, for all your help.  And don't
worry, I don't throw out Commodore equipment.  If
nothing else, non-working equipment is good to keep
around for spare parts!  :-)

-Andrew

Re: Broken 1571

William Levak-4
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, Joel Ricci wrote:

> Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 07:51:42 +0100
> From: Joel Ricci <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Broken 1571
>
> Hi!
> Just bought a 1571 drive but it's not working. On power up it just sits there
> spinning forever with just the red Power led on. There's no Drive led on and
> it wont respond to commands. Any ideas where to start?

The drive is not resetting.  When the drive powers up, the drive starts
running.  When the CPU and interfaces are reset and initialized, the drive
is turned off.  Your drive is not getting that far, if it does anything at
all.

Start by checking the reset pin on the CPU with an oscilloscope or logic
probe.  If that works, check the reset on the interfaces.

Re: VIC-1541 problem

Andrew Wiskow
Sorry Marko...  I just realized that I forgot to
answer your question about the ROM chips...  The ROM
chips in the VIC-1541 I have are 901229-03 and
325302-01.

-Andrew

--- Marko Mäkelä <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> Well, the main thing is that you don't throw it
> away.  For the record,
> can you post the part numbers of the ROM chips?  I
> don't think that
> this is a firmware issue, or I must have forgotten
> something.  The only
> possible firmware problem I can think of is the
> timing of the ATN handshake,
> but as far as I remember, it wasn't changed between
> the 1540 and the 1541.

Re: VIC-1541 problem

Andrew Wiskow
Well, for anyone who may care, my problem has been
solved!  I tried changing out the 901229-03 ROM chip
in the VIC-1541 with a 901229-05 ROM chip, and now the
drive works perfectly!  This had be scratching my head
for quite a while, so I'm so happy that it's working
now.  :-D

-Andrew

Re: VIC-1541 problem

Marko Mäkelä-3
On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 07:45:39AM -0300, Andrew Wiskow wrote:
> Well, for anyone who may care, my problem has been
> solved!  I tried changing out the 901229-03 ROM chip
> in the VIC-1541 with a 901229-05 ROM chip, and now the
> drive works perfectly!  This had be scratching my head
> for quite a while, so I'm so happy that it's working
> now.  :-D

Very interesting.  What were the exact symptoms?  Did you
try the drive with a Vic-20 in a multi-device setup?

At http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/firmware/drives/new/1541/
you can read my characterization of the 901229-03 firmware:

'The firmware of an old-style 1541 with long board. This ROM has an
autobooting feature: if CLK and DATA are held low during bootup, the
drive will wait for them to raise, and execute a "&*" command.'

You can also obtain 901229-01 and 901229-02 from that location.
I never come across to a 901229-04.

Re: VIC-1541 problem

Andrew Wiskow
I'm not really sure if the problem was a conflict with
the ROM version, or if the ROM chip in that drive was
just failing.  All I know is that with the 03 ROM,
whenever it was hooked up with multiple drives, any
drive access to any device would cause the C64 to
hang.  I took the drive to a friend's house who has a
C128, and on his system, it seemed to work fine.  I
don't have a VIC-20, so I wasn't able to test it on
that.  I only have C64's at my house.  I tested it on
two C64's and one C64c, and it didn't work on any of
them.  But, after changing to an 05 ROM, it now works
just fine.

-Andrew

--- Marko Mäkelä <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 07:45:39AM -0300, Andrew
> Wiskow wrote:
> > Well, for anyone who may care, my problem has been
> > solved!  I tried changing out the 901229-03 ROM
> chip
> > in the VIC-1541 with a 901229-05 ROM chip, and now
> the
> > drive works perfectly!  This had be scratching my
> head
> > for quite a while, so I'm so happy that it's
> working
> > now.  :-D
>
> Very interesting.  What were the exact symptoms?
> Did you
> try the drive with a Vic-20 in a multi-device setup?
>
> At

http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/firmware/drives/new/1541/

> you can read my characterization of the 901229-03
> firmware:
>
> 'The firmware of an old-style 1541 with long board.
> This ROM has an
> autobooting feature: if CLK and DATA are held low
> during bootup, the
> drive will wait for them to raise, and execute a
> "&*" command.'
>
> You can also obtain 901229-01 and 901229-02 from
> that location.
> I never come across to a 901229-04.
>
> Marko
>
>        Message was sent through the cbm-hackers
> mailing list

Re: VIC-1541 problem

raycomp
Andrew

Wasn't that what I suggested as the first thing to try - even though
others just pooh-poohed the suggestion?

  --Ray
On Dec 15, 2006, at 4:45 AM, Andrew Wiskow wrote:

> Well, for anyone who may care, my problem has been
> solved!  I tried changing out the 901229-03 ROM chip
> in the VIC-1541 with a 901229-05 ROM chip, and now the
> drive works perfectly!  This had be scratching my head
> for quite a while, so I'm so happy that it's working
> now.  :-D
>
> -Andrew

|Raymond C. Bryan  651-642-9890 vox      | The battle is sometimes |
|Raymond Computer  651-642-9891 fax     | to the small
for                 |
|795 Raymond Ave   -email:  raycomp         | the bigger they
are          |
|St Paul MN  55114    _at_visi_dot_com      | the harder they
fall.         |
|USA              Amiga - Commodore                |     -- James
Thurber --     |
http://www.raymondcomputer.com

Re: VIC-1541 problem

Andrew Wiskow
Sorry Ray... In all my frustration, I must have missed
that...  But as it turns out, you were right!  So now
you can pooh-pooh the pooh-poohers!  ;-)

-Andrew