Raspberry Pi 2 model B V1.1

I used to be a naval officer and collected some military stuff during those days. I gave the son of a colleague two WW2 helmets and a German gasmask. In return I received this morning a Raspberry Pi 2 model B V1.1. I would like to use it in combination with my Commodores (what else?) and googled a bit. Except a lot of emulators, I actually only found one project: https://github.com/FozzTexx/ninepin , so far.

My question: do you have any nice pointers to projects using the RP in combination with Commodore?  Preferably IEEE based ones.

Thank you very much in advance!

(and now I have to get back to work :)

Re: Raspberry Pi 2 model B V1.1

Ed Spittles
The Pi is fast enough to be able to bit-bang a bus interface and appear as a peripheral, at least in a system running up to 1MHz.

You should take care of protecting the Pi against 5V interfaces, although you might be lucky. So, either resistors or level shifters.

Two projects I'm aware of, not CBM flavoured: one is an SCSI emulation which runs on the Pi with Linux, and the other is a multi-faceted coprocessor emulation which runs on the Pi at bare metal:

So IEEE emulation by bit-banging should be possible.

Good luck!
Ed

Re: Raspberry Pi 2 model B V1.1

André Fachat

Am 9. Mai 2017 1:54:16 PM schrieb Ed Spittles <[hidden email]>:

> The Pi is fast enough to be able to bit-bang a bus interface and appear as
> a peripheral, at least in a system running up to 1MHz.
>
> You should take care of protecting the Pi against 5V interfaces, although
> you might be lucky. So, either resistors or level shifters.

> So IEEE emulation by bit-banging should be possible.

If the AtMega is capable the Raspberry Pi should just as well be fast enough. Not sure about interrupts that may mangle the IEC or IEEE488 timing, the AtMega is much closer to the hardware so you can control it

Re: Raspberry Pi 2 model B V1.1

Ed Spittles
Indeed, I don't know how the SCSI project manages the trick in Linux, but in PiTubeDirect we use the GPU to do the lowest level of bit banging as it has the most deterministic response.​ In that case we are responding to a 2MHz bus, which is more difficult.

A microcontroller has a more deterministic starting point, but much less headroom when it comes to doing the work, once the access bitbanging is out of the way.

Ed

Re: Raspberry Pi 2 model B V1.1

Leif Bloomquist

I've been working (very very slowly) on this:

https://hackaday.io/project/9587-raspberry-pi-zero-commodore-64-interface-board

Nothing fancy, just a serial console and possibly a way of serving files (IEC, not IEEE) from the Pi.  Still very early days.

Regards,
-Leif

--
Leif Bloomquist | [hidden email] | +1 416-737-2328 | Check out my blog! http://www.jammingsignal.com

"Every choice, no matter how small, begins a new story." - xkcd

Hallo allemaal,