Power source windings noise

traymond160
Hi I saw the post about the Pet power source emitting a noise, someone mentioned
the transformer windings tend to do this! Making noises!

My 128DCR power source has an annoying whir when powered up and more so when I shut it off!

What's the best way to fix this?

Re: Power source windings noise

Justin-2

Well... the lazy version is to use hot glue so that the magnet can’t resonate.

Justin

> On Feb 26, 2018, at 19:36, Terry Raymond <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi I saw the post about the Pet power source emitting a noise, someone mentioned
> the transformer windings tend to do this! Making noises!
>
> My 128DCR power source has an annoying whir when powered up and more so when I shut it off!
>
> What's the best way to fix this?
>
> Terry Raymond

Re: Power source windings noise

Den Mon, 26 Feb 2018 17:35:53 -0700 skrev Terry Raymond
<[hidden email]>:
> Hi I saw the post about the Pet power source emitting a noise, someone
> mentioned
> the transformer windings tend to do this! Making noises!
>
> My 128DCR power source has an annoying whir when powered up and more
> so when I shut it off!
>
> What's the best way to fix this?

How does this "whir" sound?

A switch mode PSU tends to make different noises depending on load and
some other factors. At least in theory it could be due to some
component (probably electrolytic capacitors) about to fail. It's
generally a good idea to recap a switch mode PSU before the capacitors
fail, as such failure might break more stuff than just the capacitors
them self.