PET Rabbit utility uploaded to zimmers.net

PET Rabbit utility uploaded to zimmers.net

Ethan Dicks
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Ethan Dicks <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've never worked with the C-64 version of Rabbit, but I do have a 4K ROM
> Rabbit for my PET 2001-32N (3032)

I also have a tape-loadable version of the Rabbit, with a 2K payload that
gets installed at $7800 (there were different versions for 16K and 8K PETs,
but I never had those).

After years of trying to get replacement drive belts for my stack of C2N tape
drives, I have _finally_ gotten a working tape drive (off the free table at the
recent Vintage Computer Festival-Midwest) and have backed up my
Rabbit install tape and uploaded it to ftp.zimmers.net:/incoming/cbm/pet-cbm
*with* a readme.

> and I just found the original manual
> (though it's water-damaged and needs to be scanned).

I have not scanned the manual (yet) but I did upload with the binary
an ASCII copy of the manual which is accurate outside of any corrected
original typos.

> I personally have a shoebox-full of PET Rabbit tapes of stuff I wrote
> c. 1979-1981 and of backups of commercials stuff...

I was also able to recover a couple of those tapes, the Chimera
and Hooptedoodle game sets and Creative Computing's "Conversational
Games" (ELIZA and such).  Additionally, I have a set of museum demo
programs (for 16K PETs) from a late 1970s travelling exhibit on Energy
and Energy Conservation (two versions of Hangman, "Driving for $$$"
and an energy quiz).  I have not yet uploaded these.

I was pretty happy to have 98% success reading 30-35-year-old tapes.

Now I just need to find which machine or parts drawer the 2532 with
ROM Rabbit ended up in.

Re: PET Rabbit utility uploaded to zimmers.net

traymond
Ethan,

Will the C64 Datasette belts fit the Pet ones?

-Terry Raymond

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 5:31 PM, Terry Raymond <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ethan,
>
> Will the C64 Datasette belts fit the Pet ones?

I am not positive, but I believe they are the same length.  I have
multiple old-style black C2N PET drives, one chicklet-keyboard PET
drive, and one or two thin, rounded-case VIC-20/C-64-era tape drives.
I _think_ they all have the same belt.

The one I got from VCFmw was a third-party drive and entirely
different inside with a much longer belt.

From all my searching, they seem easy to find in the UK but not the
US.  I'm working on getting some from Brazil, where they also appear
to be more abundant than the US.

Re: PET Rabbit utility uploaded to zimmers.net

traymond
good luck

On Friday, October 14, 2016, Ethan Dicks <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 5:31 PM, Terry Raymond <<a href="javascript:;" onclick="_e(event, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;traymond20@gmail.com&#39;)">traymond20@...> wrote:
> Ethan,
>
> Will the C64 Datasette belts fit the Pet ones?

I am not positive, but I believe they are the same length.  I have
multiple old-style black C2N PET drives, one chicklet-keyboard PET
drive, and one or two thin, rounded-case VIC-20/C-64-era tape drives.
I _think_ they all have the same belt.

The one I got from VCFmw was a third-party drive and entirely
different inside with a much longer belt.

From all my searching, they seem easy to find in the UK but not the