PET ROM User Guides for ROM-X, KeyCHIP and MonJana

PET ROM User Guides for ROM-X, KeyCHIP and MonJana

Taxidriver
This post was updated on .
Hello everyone

First time posting here (so apologies for posting this twice but think now subscribed to the correct mailing list) ... and wonder if anyone can help me

Has anyone come across the Supersoft ROM-X which replaces the standard BASIC-2 EDIT ROM. It delivers extra functionality and I have a PET with this ROM installed but have no documentation on how to use ?

If anyone has documentation on the WIRT KeyChip ROM and also MonJana (English) that would also be gratefully appreciated ?

Sorry forgot to add I have a CBM 3008 which has 32KB of RAM. I have a number of ROM's but trying to find user guides on how to use them.

Cheers

RE: PET ROM User Guides for ROM-X, KeyCHIP and MonJana

Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud)
Hallo,

> If anyone has documentation on the WIRT KeyChip ROM and also MonJana
> (English) that would also be gratefully appreciated ?

Some month ago I could lay my hands on a MonJana ROM plus a German Manual. I disassembled the ROM and translated the manual into English.
Please visit my site, get my email address, email me and I will send you all the stuff.

> Sorry forgot to add I have a CBM 3008 which has 32KB of RAM.

IIRC the 3008s had only one row of DRAMs and in the second row Commodore drilled holes to make it unusable. Either the holes in your machines were missing or somebody used a trick. Could you have a look and tell us what happened inside your machine, please?

Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,
Ruud Baltissen

RE: PET ROM User Guides for ROM-X, KeyCHIP and MonJana

Taxidriver
This post was updated on .
Thanks ... will do.

The 3008 was probably one of the early versions before they started drilling as all the memory chips are socketed and there is no evidence of any holes drilled by commodore in the motherboard to stop people upgrading.

I have uploaded a picture .. you can see there are different ceramic caps on the second bank.

Another showing the ROM-x chip ... I have already extracted it is as. .bin file as a backup.

The next one shows the Keychip rom.

Cheers

Re: PET ROM User Guides for ROM-X, KeyCHIP and MonJana

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 6:41 AM, Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sorry forgot to add I have a CBM 3008 which has 32KB of RAM.
>
> IIRC the 3008s had only one row of DRAMs and in the second row Commodore drilled holes to make it unusable. Either the holes in your machines were missing or somebody used a trick. Could you have a look and tell us what happened inside your machine, please?

Wouldn't a 3008 have two rows of 4Kx1 DRAMs?

I thought it was the 16K machines they drilled out the upper bank on -
6mm or 8mm holes, IIRC, in several places to "ruin" the area (one
could clean it up and run wires, but it was beyond the skills of most
users).

RE: PET ROM User Guides for ROM-X, KeyCHIP and MonJana

Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud)
Hallo Ethan,

> Wouldn't a 3008 have two rows of 4Kx1 DRAMs?

I only can say: I had one and it had one row with RAMs and one row with holes.  So it HAD to be 8K DRAMs. If you didn't know it: the Sinclair ZX-Spectrum 48K and COMX-35 have 32K DRAMs on board.  These are 64 K DRAMs were one half doesn't work. With a soldering point the factory could select which half of the DRAMs were OK. To be honest, I never studied the SCH of the 3008 to see how C= did it.

Just popped up in my mind: I also had a 3016 and that one also had one row of RAMs and on row with holes. I cannot verify that anymore. I gave both to a Swiss computer museum via Paul Foerster, well known to some of you.

1�,j�j���a�����^q��i��ɚ�X��X��

RE: PET ROM User Guides for ROM-X, KeyCHIP and MonJana

Taxidriver
Hi Ethan and Ruud

Yes, I have a 3016 board which has the top row populated with 4116 RAM chips and the lower bank unpopulated. Interestingly this board does not have any holes drilled in either so again an earlier version.
It would be a simple job to add more RAM to it and change the links etc.

Ruud, I have dropped you an email which hopefully came through…

Kind Regards
Andy

Re: PET ROM User Guides for ROM-X, KeyCHIP and MonJana

Taxidriver
Hi Ethan and Ruud

Yes, I have a 3016 board which has the top row populated with 4116 RAM chips and the lower bank unpopulated. Interestingly this board does not have any holes drilled in either so again an earlier version.
It would be a simple job to add more RAM to it and change the links etc.

Ruud, I have dropped you an email which hopefully came through…

Kind Regards
Andy

> On 2 Nov 2016, at 07:27, Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hallo Ethan,
>

>> Wouldn't a 3008 have two rows of 4Kx1 DRAMs?
>
> I only can say: I had one and it had one row with RAMs and one row with holes.  So it HAD to be 8K DRAMs. If you didn't know it: the Sinclair ZX-Spectrum 48K and COMX-35 have 32K DRAMs on board.  These are 64 K DRAMs were one half doesn't work. With a soldering point the factory could select which half of the DRAMs were OK. To be honest, I never studied the SCH of the 3008 to see how C= did it.
>
> Just popped up in my mind: I also had a 3016 and that one also had one row of RAMs and on row with holes. I cannot verify that anymore. I gave both to a Swiss computer museum via Paul Foerster, well known to some of you.
>

> Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,
> Ruud Baltissen
>
> www.Baltissen.org
>

> De informatie in dit e-mailbericht is vertrouwelijk en uitsluitend bestemd voor de
> geadresseerde. Wanneer u dit bericht per abuis ontvangt, verzoeken wij u contact op te
> nemen met de afzender per kerende e-mail. Verder verzoeken wij u in dat geval dit
> e-mailbericht te vernietigen en de inhoud ervan aan niemand openbaar te maken.
> Wij aanvaarden geen aansprakelijkheid voor onjuiste, onvolledige dan wel ontijdige
> overbrenging van de inhoud van een verzonden e-mailbericht, noch voor daarbij
> overgebrachte virussen.
>
> APG Groep N.V. is gevestigd te Heerlen en is ingeschreven in het
> handelsregister van de Kamer van Koophandel Limburg onder nummer 14099617
>

> The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged.
> It may be read, copied and used only by the intended recipient.
> If you have received it in error, please contact the sender immediately by
> return e-mail; please delete in this case the e-mail and do not disclose its
> contents to any person. We don't accept liability for any errors, omissions,
> delays of receipt or viruses in the contents of this message which arise as a
> result of e-mail transmission.
>
> APG Groep N.V. is registered in the trade register of the Chamber
> of Commerce Limburg, The Netherlands, registration number: 14099617
> 1ë,j°jËžÛa®‹ †Ø^q¹¡iɮɚŠX§‚X¬

RE: PET ROM User Guides for ROM-X, KeyCHIP and MonJana

Hallo Andy,

> Ruud, I have dropped you an email which hopefully came through…

It did and I replied yesterday evening. Will check if things worked out fine. If not, I'll upload it to my site and you can download it from there. But in that case you have to wait until tomorrow evening.

RE: PET ROM User Guides for ROM-X, KeyCHIP and MonJana

Taxidriver
Hi Ruud

No not received anything for some reason. Thanks in advance though!

Regards
Andy