PCbox, an add to the MS-DOS 1.25 project

PCbox, an add to the MS-DOS 1.25 project

Going through my "still to do" projects I ran into the Sofbox:
http://mikenaberezny.com/hardware/pet-cbm/sse-softbox-z80-computer/

This is a CP/m 2.2 computer that loads its programs from (at least?)
a 8050 and uses the CBM as terminal. The communication between these
two goes over the IEEE bus as well.

This triggered the idea to see if it is possible to create a DOS
equivalent. The hardware shouldn't be a problem: any PC with a
bi-directional LPT port and a COM port should do. The needed extra
hardware is described on http://www.baltissen.org/newhtm/cbmhd.htm

How is this going to add to the MS-DOS 1.25 project? As said before,
I'm convinced that the only thing that is needed to do to make any
MS-DOS work on the CBM-II with a 8088 card is changing IO.SYS. If
that is true, it should work for the PCbox as well.

What about the software? The softbox comes with its own terminal
software. Thanks to Mike Naberzeny and Doug Staley it has been
disassembled and the sources are available. I first thought about to
use it as-is but then I remembered Michał's remark about the back
slash.

I don't know what all is needed to develop the software for the
MS-DOS 1.25 project but if it takes 15 minutes to create a disk
image to test something, it will be long evenings.
In case of the PCbox I can develop things on a PC and write only the
changed parts to a boot floppy. Yes, a boot floppy. The greatest
advantage of PCbox is that it can boot form its own floppy. So we
can start testing things with providing a new INT 10h for the video
and new INT 16h for the keyboard. Once this works, we can work on
INT 13h. We can change it in such a way that drive A points to a PC
drive and drive B points to an IEEE drive.

Do I have to start here from scratch as well? No. I have PC-DOS (or
MS-DOS ?) 1.1 including it sources. Including that of IO.SYS /
IBMIO.SYS.

After having prooven that IO.SYS is the only file needed to be
changed, it is a matter of writing one for the CBM-II. But I warn
you, it will be a completely different one.

Re: PCbox, an add to the MS-DOS 1.25 project

smf

On 16/10/2017 08:47, [hidden email] wrote:

This triggered the idea to see if it is possible to create a DOS
equivalent. The hardware shouldn't be a problem: any PC with a
bi-directional LPT port and a COM port should do. The needed extra
hardware is described on http://www.baltissen.org/newhtm/cbmhd.htm

How is this going to add to the MS-DOS 1.25 project? As said before,
I'm convinced that the only thing that is needed to do to make any
MS-DOS work on the CBM-II with a 8088 card is changing IO.SYS. If
that is true, it should work for the PCbox as well.

You don't really need to modify IO.SYS for what you're suggesting though. You could just use a TSR or DEVICE loaded in CONFIG.SYS

It would suffer from the same problems with software writing to the frame buffer though.

Re: PCbox, an add to the MS-DOS 1.25 project

In fact Mike and I have been discussing an 8088 (or higher) version of the SoftBox for a couple years now.

I also have a Softbox (http://www.6502.org/users/sjgray/projects/softbox/index.html)  and helped Mike with the CBM-II port (fun fact, the port also runs on the P500 and might be the only P500 hardware add-on!).

 We also discussed a 6809 Softbox for OS/9 or NitrOS, and a version that could be used on a C64/C128 or other CBM using the parallel port or add-on IEEE interface. We also talked about  the possibility of creating a new PCB.  Mike is currently pre-occupied with NON-CBM stuff (sorry Mike ;-)  ) but with a little encouragement he might be persuaded to continue on the SoftBox.

Steve

Re: PCbox, an add to the MS-DOS 1.25 project

smf

Would it be possible to create a similar board fo the cbmb-ii 8088 board that works for the more common pets?

Then the 8088 side software might even be compatible.

On 16/10/2017 14:37, Steve Gray wrote:

Hi,
In fact Mike and I have been discussing an 8088 (or higher) version of the SoftBox for a couple years now.
I also have a Softbox (http://www.6502.org/users/sjgray/projects/softbox/index.html)  and helped Mike with the CBM-II port (fun fact, the port also runs on the P500 and might be the only P500 hardware add-on!).
 We also discussed a 6809 Softbox for OS/9 or NitrOS, and a version that could be used on a C64/C128 or other CBM using the parallel port or add-on IEEE interface. We also talked about  the possibility of creating a new PCB.  Mike is currently pre-occupied with NON-CBM stuff (sorry Mike ;-)  ) but with a little encouragement he might be persuaded to continue on the SoftBox.

Re: PCbox, an add to the MS-DOS 1.25 project

Steve Gray
Yes, that is definitely possible. The "K" loader program could be adapted to any machine with an IEEE interface for the existing SoftBox.

 The Z80 and 8088 are similar enough hardware wise to make an 8088 Softbox, but of course the firmware would have to be re-written for DOS compatibility. The CBM-II 8088 board uses shared RAM to interface to the 6509 so this would have to be adapted to communicate over IEEE, or if we're building a new board it could work via user-port to other cbm machines.

Steve

Re: PCbox, an add to the MS-DOS 1.25 project

smf

Well I was thinking the other way, using a memory interface in a pet/c64 etc.

Obviously you'd need a different memory interface, so it's not like IEEE where it's technically universal. But I would have thought it unlikely that IEEE will reach the same speed.

On 16/10/2017 15:22, Steve Gray wrote:
Yes, that is definitely possible. The "K" loader program could be adapted to any machine with an IEEE interface for the existing SoftBox.
 The Z80 and 8088 are similar enough hardware wise to make an 8088 Softbox, but of course the firmware would have to be re-written for DOS compatibility. The CBM-II 8088 board uses shared RAM to interface to the 6509 so this would have to be adapted to communicate over IEEE, or if we're building a new board it could work via user-port to other cbm machines.

Re: PCbox, an add to the MS-DOS 1.25 project

Steve Gray
I suppose its possible to use the same technique from the CBM-II on a PET, but I think an 8088 with 32K ram might be a little limiting ;-)

Steve

[hidden email] wrote:

> This triggered the idea to see if it is possible to create a DOS
> equivalent. The hardware shouldn't be a problem: any PC with a
> bi-directional LPT port and a COM port should do. The needed extra
> hardware is described on http://www.baltissen.org/newhtm/cbmhd.htm

But if you have a PC, what do you need a CBM-II for? A PC should also
have a monitor and keyboard, right? Or would you use a PC just a
development platform?

> How is this going to add to the MS-DOS 1.25 project? As said before,
> I'm convinced that the only thing that is needed to do to make any
> MS-DOS work on the CBM-II with a 8088 card is changing IO.SYS. If
> that is true, it should work for the PCbox as well.

It is true that you can run MS-DOS on the CBM-II by changing its IO.SYS,
but you will not be able to run any PC programs that use INT 10h or INT
16h, or write to framebuffer etc.

That's why I wanted do it the other way around - writing implementation
of INT 10h, INT 13h etc so that original IO.SYS _and_ other programs
could work.

> I don't know what all is needed to develop the software for the
> MS-DOS 1.25 project but if it takes 15 minutes to create a disk
> image to test something, it will be long evenings.

No, ad for now it involves writing a TSR implementing PC interrupts,
uploading it to the CBM-II via RECV.EXE and testing PC programs (also
uploaded this way).

> In case of the PCbox I can develop things on a PC and write only the
> changed parts to a boot floppy. Yes, a boot floppy. The greatest
> advantage of PCbox is that it can boot form its own floppy. So we
> can start testing things with providing a new INT 10h for the video
> and new INT 16h for the keyboard. Once this works, we can work on
> INT 13h. We can change it in such a way that drive A points to a PC
> drive and drive B points to an IEEE drive.

Here I got confused. Will the "8088 softbox" be just an 8088 board where
INT 10h and INT 16h need to be emulated? If so, how does it differ from
the existing 8088 board for the CBM-II?

Re: PCbox, an add to the MS-DOS 1.25 project

Den Mon, 16 Oct 2017 13:37:46 +0000 (UTC) skrev Steve Gray
<[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
> In fact Mike and I have been discussing an 8088 (or higher) version
> of the SoftBox for a couple years now. I also have a Softbox
> (http://www.6502.org/users/sjgray/projects/softbox/index.html)  and
> helped Mike with the CBM-II port (fun fact, the port also runs on the
> P500 and might be the only P500 hardware add-on!). We also discussed
> a 6809 Softbox for OS/9 or NitrOS, and a version that could be used
> on a C64/C128 or other CBM using the parallel port or add-on IEEE
> interface. We also talked about  the possibility of creating a new
> PCB.  Mike is currently pre-occupied with NON-CBM stuff (sorry
> Mike ;-)  ) but with a little encouragement he might be persuaded to
> continue on the SoftBox. Steve

There is already a general 6809 card for 6502 machines - atleast
developed on/for Atari 8-bit computers but should work in any 6502
machine. Of course on a PET it would be better to make a copy of the
CBM 6809 card, but on other Commodore 8-bit machines it would be nice
with a card which switches between 6502/6510/8502/6509 and 6809.

But why not go all the way and add some 68k chip? :)

Regarding adding a CPU internal to the computer, the basic problem is
that 6502 and 6800 CPU's leave every other "half cycle" on the bus free
for other use, specifically video hardware in CBM computers, but
8080/8085/Z80/8088 doesn't work that way. That is also the reason for
the Z80 being so slow in C128 compared to other Z80 implementations.

Something that would be really really cool is an add-on to C128 making
it possible to switch between Z80 and an 8088 (or even replace the
Z80). Add some hardware that traps access to certain memory and I/O
areas and let the 8502 handle those traps. That way it could be more or
less completely IBM PC compatible. (Emulating CGA on the C128 80 column
hardware would be rather slow, but it could work. MS-DOS anyway support
"MODE CO40" for 40 column display. With the apropriate hardware
remapping adresses it could be possible to make the VIC-II screen and
color memory appear the same way as CGA in 40 column text mode).

But if you aim for a SoftBox but with 8088, I'd also suggest some
hardware to handle accesses to special memory and I/O adresses, but
that would have to be handled by the 8088 CPU (unless another CPU is
added to that board).

But how about an S-100 bus card that makes a Commodore 8-bit computer
a console for any S-100 bus computer? :)

RE: PCbox, an add to the MS-DOS 1.25 project

Hallo Michał,

> But if you have a PC, what do you need a CBM-II for?

I have long thought about sending the original email. Why would one develop a 8088 version of a Softbox if you can use the PC as stand alone machine? Seen from this perspective it is absolute nonsense.
But then why would we play with those old crappy Commodores if we all these mighty PCs around? :)

> Or would you use a PC just a development platform?

In this case it was indeed first meant as a development platform. It just happened to come out that it can be developed into a 8088box/PCbox or whatever it is going to be named.

> It is true that you can run MS-DOS on the CBM-II by changing its IO.SYS, but you will not be able to run any PC programs that use INT 10h or INT 16h

Eh, the idea was that by changing IO.SYS you change various INTs that is what makes these programs run on the CBM-II. But you already showed me that, in case of INT 13h the new one is hooked in so your changes are still there. If INT 10h and 16h are overwritten, then a driver in CONFIG.SYS can restore the situation.

> If so, how does it differ from the existing 8088 board for the CBM-II?

The 8088 board is directly attached to the CBM-II and uses its memory directly. The 8088 version of the Softbox is a stand alone computer which communicates with its host over the IEEE bus.

A question to everyone:  how many 8088 boards are around?

1�,j�j���a�����^q��i��ɚ�X��X��

Re: PCbox, an add to the MS-DOS 1.25 project

Put the memory on the 8088 board and let the pet bank.

It would be a killer ram upgrade board too. Just a thought anyway.

On 17/10/2017 05:01, Mia Magnusson wrote:

That is also the reason for
the Z80 being so slow in C128 compared to other Z80 implementations.

Other Z80 implementations have the same problem when accessing video memory and the screen is being drawn, you're right that the C128 suffers because there is only video memory. But also because there wasn't time/money to make the VIC2e perform bus arbitration properly.

With an 8088 it would certainly make sense to add more ram which it has faster access to and let the 6502 access it through a paging mechanism.

Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud) wrote:

> I have long thought about sending the original email. Why would one develop a 8088 version of a Softbox if you can use the PC as stand alone machine? Seen from this perspective it is absolute nonsense.
> But then why would we play with those old crappy Commodores if we all these mighty PCs around? :)

Well, that's a good point ;-)

> Eh, the idea was that by changing IO.SYS you change various INTs that is what makes these programs run on the CBM-II. But you already showed me that, in case of INT 13h the new one is hooked in so your changes are still there. If INT 10h and 16h are overwritten, then a driver in CONFIG.SYS can restore the situation.

Yes, all the changes can be made before IO.SYS even loads. A mechanism
can be made that checks periodically whether they were overwritten and
restore them.

> The 8088 board is directly attached to the CBM-II and uses its memory directly. The 8088 version of the Softbox is a stand alone computer which communicates with its host over the IEEE bus.

OK, I suppose the good side of that solution is that any 80 column PET
can be used, not just a CBM-II?

> A question to everyone:  how many 8088 boards are around?

Looking at this list: I have two, you have one, Steve Gray has two if I
remember correctly and Bill Degnan has one. Robert Sprokholt has one and
he gave another one to Richard Langedijk, and then Mike Naberezny bought
five from him on Ebay - I don't know where they went later. That gives
13 that I know of.

A quick thought - instead of building a 8088-box, why not build a 8088
card for CBM-II by either copying the original or packing it into FPGA
or CPLD?

RE: PCbox, an add to the MS-DOS 1.25 project

Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud)
Hallo Michał,

> OK, I suppose the good side of that solution is that any 80 column PET can be used, not just a CBM-II?

That and including the 40 column ones!

> A quick thought - instead of building a 8088-box, why not build a 8088 card for CBM-II by either copying the original or packing it into FPGA or CPLD?

Developing a new 8088 card? Let's be very honest: I would love to but I don't have the money to do it. The parts for building a 8088 box I have at hand. The needed time is (more or less) free.

FYI: I have the 8088 card as an Eagle schematic.

A question for you Michał, do you have a NEC V20 processor? If not, I can provide you one to test on the 8088 card. On average it will speed up your card with 40% just by replacing the 8088.

1�,j�j���a�����^q��i��ɚ�X��X��

Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud) wrote:

> Developing a new 8088 card? Let's be very honest: I would love to but I don't have the money to do it. The parts for building a 8088 box I have at hand. The needed time is (more or less) free.
> FYI: I have the 8088 card as an Eagle schematic.

No, not developing a new one, cloning the existing one. If you have
Eagle schematic and free time, that should be doable, right? ;-)

> A question for you Michał, do you have a NEC V20 processor? If not, I can provide you one to test on the 8088 card. On average it will speed up your card with 40% just by replacing the 8088.

I ordered some from Ebay but they haven't arrived yet. I can gladly use
yours to test.

General 6809 card for 6502 machines (was: PCbox, an add to the MS-DOS 1.25 project)

Hello Mia,

* On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 06:01:34AM +0200 Mia Magnusson wrote:

> There is already a general 6809 card for 6502 machines - atleast
> developed on/for Atari 8-bit computers but should work in any 6502
> machine.

Do you have any reference for this?

This was something I wanted to do myself in the 80s for the C64.
However, my skills and my time were too limited back then.
Unfortunately, I cannot find any of my papers from back then, so I
consider this "5% project" as completely lost.

I would be interested how others have done this, though, that's why I am
interested in that. I did not find anything with my search engine yet,
that's why I am asking.

Spiro R. Trikaliotis
http://www.trikaliotis.net/

Re: General 6809 card for 6502 machines

Didier Derny
For atari 800 there is also a very small board with a 6809 that fit the
6502 socket

+ a boot eprom for nitros9

I've tested this board on several 6502 machines.... no way to use it :(

on a SYM1 it seems to start but crashes immediately...

the SYM1 had a similar product named MOD69

On 17/10/2017 21:02, Spiro Trikaliotis wrote:

> Hello Mia,
>
> * On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 06:01:34AM +0200 Mia Magnusson wrote:
>
>> There is already a general 6809 card for 6502 machines - atleast
>> developed on/for Atari 8-bit computers but should work in any 6502
>> machine.
> Do you have any reference for this?
>
> This was something I wanted to do myself in the 80s for the C64.
> However, my skills and my time were too limited back then.
> Unfortunately, I cannot find any of my papers from back then, so I
> consider this "5% project" as completely lost.
>
> I would be interested how others have done this, though, that's why I am
> interested in that. I did not find anything with my search engine yet,
> that's why I am asking.
>
> Regards,
> Spiro.

Re: General 6809 card for 6502 machines (was: PCbox, an add to the MS-DOS 1.25 project)

John W. Linville
On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 09:02:51PM +0200, Spiro Trikaliotis wrote:

> Hello Mia,
>
> * On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 06:01:34AM +0200 Mia Magnusson wrote:
>
> > There is already a general 6809 card for 6502 machines - atleast
> > developed on/for Atari 8-bit computers but should work in any 6502
> > machine.
>
> Do you have any reference for this?
>
> This was something I wanted to do myself in the 80s for the C64.
> However, my skills and my time were too limited back then.
> Unfortunately, I cannot find any of my papers from back then, so I
> consider this "5% project" as completely lost.
>
> I would be interested how others have done this, though, that's why I am
> interested in that. I did not find anything with my search engine yet,
> that's why I am asking.
>
> Regards,
> Spiro.
>
> --
> Spiro R. Trikaliotis
> http://www.trikaliotis.net/

The project in question is the Liber809 from Boisy Pitre (Cc'ed). More
info is available here:

        http://liber809.blogspot.com/

Hth!

John
--
John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[hidden email] might be all we have.  Be ready.

Re: General 6809 card for 6502 machines (was: PCbox, an add to the MS-DOS 1.25 project)

https://www.bytecellar.com/2012/08/03/liber809-the-motorola-6809-gets-a-new-platform/

Mia schreef:
> There is already a general 6809 card for 6502 machines - atleast
> developed on/for Atari 8-bit computers but should work in any 6502
> machine.

Eh, what about the SuperPET? Schematics available AFAIK. Good start IMHO. One remark: as engineer I never liked the solution of powering the 6502 off for shutting it down.

That card is indeed the Liber809 as noticed by others. I asked the designer for info but no schematics or what ever and he charged $70 for the whole for the card.

Didier schreef:
> I've tested this board on several 6502 machines.... no way to use it :(

The 6502 of Atari is different, one thing I am quite sure of: it could be tri-stated.