P500 with 8088 co-processor

Bill Degnan
Before I do this on my perfectly happy P500, has anyone put a 8088 co-processor on a P-500 before?  Any concerns?  I will probably run a fan on the system and leave the lid loose as the daughter card may sit too high to close the lid.  I will attempt to boot MS DOS and CP/M 86, but there are no known color and SID tests what would I expect to gain from putting the 8088 on a P500 vs. the risks?

Given this is a rare combo of hardware, please send me any tests you wish to have done, I can make D80 images from PRG files if anyone wants to whip up experiemental programs.  It would be great if I can get my uIEC to work on the P500 as I did for my B128 and I will try that.

I don't recall there being a BASIC that runs off the 8088 that also uses color, but I guess that's the whole point of the original thread that sparked interest in the P500 to begin with.

Bill

Re: P500 with 8088 co-processor

MiaM
Den Tue, 24 Jul 2018 14:41:28 -0400 skrev Bill Degnan
<[hidden email]>:

> Before I do this on my perfectly happy P500, has anyone put a 8088
> co-processor on a P-500 before?  Any concerns?  I will probably run a
> fan on the system and leave the lid loose as the daughter card may
> sit too high to close the lid.  I will attempt to boot MS DOS and
> CP/M 86, but there are no known color and SID tests what would I
> expect to gain from putting the 8088 on a P500 vs. the risks?
>
> Given this is a rare combo of hardware, please send me any tests you
> wish to have done, I can make D80 images from PRG files if anyone
> wants to whip up experiemental programs.  It would be great if I can
> get my uIEC to work on the P500 as I did for my B128 and I will try
> that.
>
> I don't recall there being a BASIC that runs off the 8088 that also
> uses color, but I guess that's the whole point of the original thread
> that sparked interest in the P500 to begin with.

Even though the 8088 card is really rare and the P 500 even rarer, they
both only contain chips that are rather common.

The only thing I'm not totally sure of is if the equations for the
programmable logic chips in the P-500 are correct. They are listed in
the schematics. That's about the only IC's where you can't just put in
a replacement IC from a scrapped C64 or PC compatible machine, or
program a standard eprom with a file image from Zimmers or some other
place.

--

But the PLA code is out there, right?  If it dies I have no spare p500 PLA

I can do a RAM dump I suppose if need be.

Bill

Re: P500 with 8088 co-processor

vossi
I have read out both 82s100 plas of my p500.
Its easy for me to burn new pls100 for it with my topmax programmer.
As cheap alternative you can use an eprom with adapter.

-----
greets
Christian
--