Optical Mouse for Amiga

Gerrit Heitsch

In case someone is interested in having an optical mouse for their Amiga.

You can either buy a replacement PCB for your existing Amiga mouse. Or
you can check your 'pile of mice' (I bet everyone has one) if there is
one among them that uses an Agilent A2051 optical sensor. The datasheet
for it is available online.

That sensor has not only a serial interface but will also produce the
same signals as the sensors of a mechanical mouse on pin 2 to 5 (*). So
all you need to do, if you have one of those, is to remove the
microcontroller that converts the sensor output to USB and use a 9 wire
cable hooked up to the 4 sensor outputs and the 3 buttons plus a 9pin
sub D connector to convert such a mouse to become compatible with the Amiga.

I also had to bridge a transistor that controlled the power supply for
the A2051 for when the computer is in standby.

Nowadays, the sensors contain the USB interface directly, so you need to
dig deeper into the pile for the older stuff.

(*) I bet this was to make it easy to convert existing mouse controller
designs from mechanical to optical.

Re: Optical Mouse for Amiga

silverdr@wfmh.org.pl

> On 2018-11-08, at 19:43, Gerrit Heitsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> In case someone is interested in having an optical mouse for their Amiga.

I've been using optical with Amiga since early nineties :-) but of course not as accurate as today's ones.

> You can either buy a replacement PCB for your existing Amiga mouse. Or you can check your 'pile of mice' (I bet everyone has one) if there is one among them that uses an Agilent A2051 optical sensor. The datasheet for it is available online.
>
> That sensor has not only a serial interface but will also produce the same signals as the sensors of a mechanical mouse on pin 2 to 5 (*). So all you need to do, if you have one of those, is to remove the microcontroller that converts the sensor output to USB and use a 9 wire cable hooked up to the 4 sensor outputs and the 3 buttons plus a 9pin sub D connector to convert such a mouse to become compatible with the Amiga.

That's a very nice finding! Of course a pity that only older ones have a chance of having this sensor as those are usually "tired" in one way on another, which is the main reason they landed on the pile...

Re: Optical Mouse for Amiga

Gerrit Heitsch
On 11/8/18 9:03 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

>> On 2018-11-08, at 19:43, Gerrit Heitsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> In case someone is interested in having an optical mouse for their Amiga.
>
> I've been using optical with Amiga since early nineties :-) but of course not as accurate as today's ones.

You mean the kind with the special mousepads? I still know those from
the SUN workstations.

>> You can either buy a replacement PCB for your existing Amiga mouse. Or you can check your 'pile of mice' (I bet everyone has one) if there is one among them that uses an Agilent A2051 optical sensor. The datasheet for it is available online.
>>
>> That sensor has not only a serial interface but will also produce the same signals as the sensors of a mechanical mouse on pin 2 to 5 (*). So all you need to do, if you have one of those, is to remove the microcontroller that converts the sensor output to USB and use a 9 wire cable hooked up to the 4 sensor outputs and the 3 buttons plus a 9pin sub D connector to convert such a mouse to become compatible with the Amiga.
>
> That's a very nice finding! Of course a pity that only older ones have a chance of having this sensor as those are usually "tired" in one way on another, which is the main reason they landed on the pile...

Well, a broken cable would be no issue since it has to be replaced
anyway. Same for the dead USB-interface the one I converted had. And I
when I bought a mouse and liked it, I usually bought another one as
spare. So looking through my collection, I have at least 2 more mice
with the A2051. :)

Re: Optical Mouse for Amiga

silverdr@wfmh.org.pl

> On 2018-11-08, at 21:14, Gerrit Heitsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> In case someone is interested in having an optical mouse for their Amiga.
>> I've been using optical with Amiga since early nineties :-) but of course not as accurate as today's ones.
>
> You mean the kind with the special mousepads?

Precisely. Later I used those USB/PS2 with PS2->Amiga interface.

> I still know those from the SUN workstations.

My Silicon Graphics machines still had those with balls back then when my Amiga had already optical. For the time it was unbeatable. Even with the special pad requirement.

>> That's a very nice finding! Of course a pity that only older ones have a chance of having this sensor as those are usually "tired" in one way on another, which is the main reason they landed on the pile...
>
> Well, a broken cable would be no issue since it has to be replaced anyway. Same for the dead USB-interface the one I converted had. And I when I bought a mouse and liked it, I usually bought another one as spare. So looking through my collection, I have at least 2 more mice with the A2051. :)

👍🏻 :-)