Mistery exponsion

Richard Lagendijk
Hi all,

I'm organising my collection and I found an expansion. But I do not know
what it is. It has 8 RAM chips and a lot of logic ICs. No markings on the
PCB (could be home-made).
It was in a box with other PET things.

http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/div/mistery_expansion_pet.jpg

Does anybody has an idea?

Greetings

Richard

Re: Mistery exponsion

Ullrich von Bassewitz

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 04:10:32PM +0200, Richard Lagendijk wrote:
> http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/div/mistery_expansion_pet.jpg
>
> Does anybody has an idea?

64K dynamic RAM + socket with 40 pins. Maybe coprocessor or graphics card?

Regards

        Uz

--
Ullrich von Bassewitz                                  [hidden email]
Encrypted email preferred                          PGP Key-Id: 29D93B10

Re: Mistery exponsion

On 26/03/2017 15:10, Richard Lagendijk wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm organising my collection and I found an expansion. But I do not know
> what it is. It has 8 RAM chips and a lot of logic ICs. No markings on the
> PCB (could be home-made).
> It was in a box with other PET things.
>
> http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/div/mistery_expansion_pet.jpg
>
> Does anybody has an idea?

Maybe a home made version of:
http://mikenaberezny.com/hardware/pet-cbm/cbm-64k-ram-expansion/

It looks like it fits into a 6502 socket and adds an extra 64k of ram
anyway.

Re: Mistery exponsion

Ullrich von Bassewitz wrote:

> 64K dynamic RAM + socket with 40 pins. Maybe coprocessor or graphics card?

For a graphics card, it lacks video output and a graphics chip.

On the other hand, there is really lots of TTL chips, looks like way too
much for a simple memory expansion. But maybe there are for RAM refresh?

Re: Mistery exponsion

Gerrit Heitsch
On 03/26/2017 05:49 PM, Michał Pleban wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Ullrich von Bassewitz wrote:
>
>> 64K dynamic RAM + socket with 40 pins. Maybe coprocessor or graphics card?
>
> For a graphics card, it lacks video output and a graphics chip.
>
> On the other hand, there is really lots of TTL chips, looks like way too
> much for a simple memory expansion. But maybe there are for RAM refresh?

Looks to me like DRAM controller/refresh and access logic since you
can't just made 64KB RAM visible in the address space of the host.

Re: Mistery exponsion

Christian Dirks
Am 26.03.2017 um 16:10 schrieb Richard Lagendijk:
> I'm organising my collection and I found an expansion. But I do not know
> what it is. It has 8 RAM chips and a lot of logic ICs. No markings on the
> PCB (could be home-made).
> It was in a box with other PET things.
> http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/div/mistery_expansion_pet.jpg
> Does anybody has an idea?

Looks very familiar to me.
Seems to be one of the many bootlegs of Helmut Proxas MW8160/8096A
boards, a 64k expansion for the 8032.
It plugs into the 6502 socket, and the 6502 plugs in the board.
It is compatible to the commodore 64k expansion, which makes a 8032 a
8096, and has some additional features.
The original version from Helmut allows stacking another row of 4164 on
it, to get a 8160 (32k + 64k + 64k = 160k).

I sent Helmut the link to have a look at it.

--
Christian Dirks

Re: Mistery exponsion

Richard Lagendijk

Op Ma, maart 27, 2017 01:00 schreef Christian Dirks:

> Am 26.03.2017 um 16:10 schrieb Richard Lagendijk:
>
>> I'm organising my collection and I found an expansion. But I do not
>> know what it is. It has 8 RAM chips and a lot of logic ICs. No markings
>> on the PCB (could be home-made).
>> It was in a box with other PET things.
>> http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/div/mistery_expansion_pet.jpg
>> Does anybody has an idea?
>>

> Looks very familiar to me.
> Seems to be one of the many bootlegs of Helmut Proxas MW8160/8096A
> boards, a 64k expansion for the 8032. It plugs into the 6502 socket, and
> the 6502 plugs in the board. It is compatible to the commodore 64k
> expansion, which makes a 8032 a 8096, and has some additional features.
> The original version from Helmut allows stacking another row of 4164 on
> it, to get a 8160 (32k + 64k + 64k = 160k).
>
> I sent Helmut the link to have a look at it.
>

> --
> Christian Dirks
> [hidden email]

Yes, on the bottom side of the PCB there is a socket that can connect to a
6502 socket on the motherboard. The cable connects to the 5VDC regulator
on the PCB.

Richard

Re: Mistery exponsion

Christian Dirks
Am 27.03.2017 um 08:24 schrieb Richard Lagendijk:

> Op Ma, maart 27, 2017 01:00 schreef Christian Dirks:
>> Am 26.03.2017 um 16:10 schrieb Richard Lagendijk:
>>
>>> I'm organising my collection and I found an expansion. But I do not
>>> know what it is. It has 8 RAM chips and a lot of logic ICs. No markings
>>> on the PCB (could be home-made).
>>> It was in a box with other PET things.
>>> http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/div/mistery_expansion_pet.jpg
>>> Does anybody has an idea?
>>>

>> Looks very familiar to me.
>> Seems to be one of the many bootlegs of Helmut Proxas MW8160/8096A
>> boards, a 64k expansion for the 8032. It plugs into the 6502 socket, and
>> the 6502 plugs in the board. It is compatible to the commodore 64k
>> expansion, which makes a 8032 a 8096, and has some additional features.
>> The original version from Helmut allows stacking another row of 4164 on
>> it, to get a 8160 (32k + 64k + 64k = 160k).
>>
>> I sent Helmut the link to have a look at it.
>>
> Yes, on the bottom side of the PCB there is a socket that can connect to a
> 6502 socket on the motherboard. The cable connects to the 5VDC regulator
> on the PCB.
Helmut thinks it's a bootleg of his board.
He would like to see some more detailed pictures,
also from the solder side.

Could you lift the 74LS241 out of the socket?
There may be solder jumpers, which Helmut implemented to set a serial
number for use as a copy protection.

Christian

--
Christian Dirks

Re: Mistery exponsion

Zoran Davidovac
Hi I've seen similar boards under name Ultra Electronic MW 8160/8096 A

but there was almost identical to you here:

http://cbm-hackers.2304266.n4.nabble.com/Unknown-to-me-64k-RAM-card-for-the-PET-td4656199.html
https://www.forum64.de/index.php?thread/45612-speichererweiterung-ultra-electronic-mw-8160-8096-a/

Regards,

Zoran

On 03/27/2017 06:24 AM, Richard Lagendijk wrote:

> Op Ma, maart 27, 2017 01:00 schreef Christian Dirks:
>> Am 26.03.2017 um 16:10 schrieb Richard Lagendijk:
>>
>>> I'm organising my collection and I found an expansion. But I do not
>>> know what it is. It has 8 RAM chips and a lot of logic ICs. No markings
>>> on the PCB (could be home-made).
>>> It was in a box with other PET things.
>>> http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/div/mistery_expansion_pet.jpg
>>> Does anybody has an idea?
>>>
>> Looks very familiar to me.
>> Seems to be one of the many bootlegs of Helmut Proxas MW8160/8096A
>> boards, a 64k expansion for the 8032. It plugs into the 6502 socket, and
>> the 6502 plugs in the board. It is compatible to the commodore 64k
>> expansion, which makes a 8032 a 8096, and has some additional features.
>> The original version from Helmut allows stacking another row of 4164 on
>> it, to get a 8160 (32k + 64k + 64k = 160k).
>>
>> I sent Helmut the link to have a look at it.
>>

>> --
>> Christian Dirks
>> [hidden email]
>>

> Yes, on the bottom side of the PCB there is a socket that can connect to a
> 6502 socket on the motherboard. The cable connects to the 5VDC regulator
> on the PCB.
>
> Richard
>

>         Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Re: Mistery expansion

Richard Lagendijk

Op Ma, maart 27, 2017 21:06 schreef Christian Dirks:

> Am 27.03.2017 um 08:24 schrieb Richard Lagendijk:

>>> Looks very familiar to me.
>>> Seems to be one of the many bootlegs of Helmut Proxas MW8160/8096A
>>> boards, a 64k expansion for the 8032. It plugs into the 6502 socket,
>>> and the 6502 plugs in the board. It is compatible to the commodore 64k
>>>  expansion, which makes a 8032 a 8096, and has some additional
>>> features. The original version from Helmut allows stacking another row
>>> of 4164 on it, to get a 8160 (32k + 64k + 64k = 160k).
>>>
>>> I sent Helmut the link to have a look at it.
>>>

>> Yes, on the bottom side of the PCB there is a socket that can connect
>> to a 6502 socket on the motherboard. The cable connects to the 5VDC
>> regulator on the PCB.
>
> Helmut thinks it's a bootleg of his board.
> He would like to see some more detailed pictures,
> also from the solder side.
>
> Could you lift the 74LS241 out of the socket?
> There may be solder jumpers, which Helmut implemented to set a serial
> number for use as a copy protection.
>
> Christian
>

> --
> Christian Dirks
> [hidden email]

I took more pictures of the PCB on both sides and with the 74LS241 removed

http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/div/mistery_expansion_2.jpg
http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/div/mistery_expansion_3.jpg
http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/div/mistery_expansion_4.jpg
http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/div/mistery_expansion_5.jpg

Greetings,

Richard

--
www.richardlagendijk.nl

Re: Mistery expansion

Jim Brain
On 3/28/2017 1:43 PM, Richard Lagendijk wrote:

> I took more pictures of the PCB on both sides and with the 74LS241 removed
>
> http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/div/mistery_expansion_2.jpg
> http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/div/mistery_expansion_3.jpg
> http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/div/mistery_expansion_4.jpg
> http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/div/mistery_expansion_5.jpg
Those pics redirect to your home page.
The original link works, so I am thinking there is an issue with these
specific links.

Re: Mistery expansion

Richard Lagendijk

Op Di, maart 28, 2017 20:45 schreef Jim Brain:

> On 3/28/2017 1:43 PM, Richard Lagendijk wrote:
>

>> I took more pictures of the PCB on both sides and with the 74LS241
>> removed
>>
>> http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/div/mistery_expansion_2.jpg
>> http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/div/mistery_expansion_3.jpg
>> http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/div/mistery_expansion_4.jpg
>> http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/div/mistery_expansion_5.jpg
>>
> Those pics redirect to your home page.
> The original link works, so I am thinking there is an issue with these
> specific links.
>
> Jim
>

> Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Sorry, there was a typo in the e-mail, I renamed the files, it should work
now.

Richard

Re: Mistery expansion

Christian Dirks
Am 28.03.2017 um 20:55 schrieb Richard Lagendijk: Thank you, I forwarded the links to Helmut.

--
Christian Dirks