MOS/CSG Kicad library

I got a few requests for parts from my Kicad MOS/CSG chip libraries, so I thought I'd post them. Hopefully they are useful to anyone making Commodore-related Kicad projects.

One library is for CBM 8-bit machines parts only, and the other is for some non-cbm parts that I have used in various projects.

If you find any bugs/mistakes, please let me know.

Re: MOS/CSG Kicad library

silverdr@wfmh.org.pl

> On 2017-11-08, at 16:46, Steve Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I got a few requests for parts from my Kicad MOS/CSG chip libraries, so I thought I'd post them. Hopefully they are useful to anyone making Commodore-related Kicad projects.
>
> http://6502.org/users/sjgray/projects/kicadlib/

Thanks a lot! That will certainly be useful, once I eventually force myself to switch over to KiCAD. My last (in a series of) attempt failed again.

Re: MOS/CSG Kicad library

Hallo Patryk,

> My last (in a series of) attempt failed again.

Same for me. I'm still happy with my Eagle 5.11 version. The reason
I stick with it is that it is a full version, enabling me to make
boards at 10x16 cm. But Jim's schematic of the VUCswitch again
showed its vulnarabiliy: it cannot read V7.70 schematcs. My V7.5
version can but as a free version is limited in board size.

I just found out that Eagle is a part of AutoDesk (remember
AutoCAD?) now. Shouldn't be a problem but I often have the feeling
when taken over by a big company, the product becomes worse.
Conformation: it is only available in 64 bits.

Re: MOS/CSG Kicad library

Jim Brain
On 11/9/2017 2:34 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I just found out that Eagle is a part of AutoDesk (remember
> AutoCAD?) now. Shouldn't be a problem but I often have the feeling
> when taken over by a big company, the product becomes worse.
> Conformation: it is only available in 64 bits.
The main problem at present is that they have went to a "subscription"
model, so you can't buy a perpetual license anymore. I suspect that
those who own v6-v7 of EAGLE will just keep their copies for quite a
while, as those use the new XML format.  The v5 users (yourself) are
more challenged, as you can't read the XML format and I am not sure you
can buy v7.X from anywhere (maybe someone looking to sell their old copy?)

I know the FLOSS folks have all embraced KiCAD, and kudos to Steve for
moving to it.  I have grown so accustomed to EAGLE over the last 14
years, and with the lack of auto back-annotation in KiCAD, I found no
value in moving.

Re: MOS/CSG Kicad library

Steve Gray
It took me about a month to become comfortable with Kicad, so if I can do it anyone can ;-)
I have never needed back-annotation, but I have needed to do larger boards that wouldn't have been possible (without paying) in the Free Eagle.
So for me it was a no-brainer.  I would love to have a reliable way to load in Eagle schematics and parts, but making new parts is not too hard.
One thing I like is the 3D board view, although currently I have a weird issue where some parts do not show up on the render.

Steve

On 11/9/2017 2:34 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I just found out that Eagle is a part of AutoDesk (remember
> AutoCAD?) now. Shouldn't be a problem but I often have the feeling
> when taken over by a big company, the product becomes worse.
> Conformation: it is only available in 64 bits.
The main problem at present is that they have went to a "subscription"
model, so you can't buy a perpetual license anymore. I suspect that
those who own v6-v7 of EAGLE will just keep their copies for quite a
while, as those use the new XML format.  The v5 users (yourself) are
more challenged, as you can't read the XML format and I am not sure you
can buy v7.X from anywhere (maybe someone looking to sell their old copy?)

I know the FLOSS folks have all embraced KiCAD, and kudos to Steve for
moving to it.  I have grown so accustomed to EAGLE over the last 14
years, and with the lack of auto back-annotation in KiCAD, I found no
value in moving.

Re: MOS/CSG Kicad library

Peter Bortas
On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 4:46 PM, Steve Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I got a few requests for parts from my Kicad MOS/CSG chip libraries, so I
> thought I'd post them. Hopefully they are useful to anyone making
> Commodore-related Kicad projects.
>
> http://6502.org/users/sjgray/projects/kicadlib/
>
> One library is for CBM 8-bit machines parts only, and the other is for some
> non-cbm parts that I have used in various projects.

Thanks Steve! I've been trying to switch to Kicad on and off for over
a year now. Sooner or later it'll stick.

Peter Bortas

Re: MOS/CSG Kicad library

> On 2017-11-09, at 21:56, Jim Brain <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I just found out that Eagle is a part of AutoDesk (remember
>> AutoCAD?) now. Shouldn't be a problem but I often have the feeling
>> when taken over by a big company, the product becomes worse.
>> Conformation: it is only available in 64 bits.
> The main problem at present is that they have went to a "subscription" model, so you can't buy a perpetual license anymore. I suspect that those who own v6-v7 of EAGLE will just keep their copies for quite a while, as those use the new XML format.  The v5 users (yourself) are more challenged, as you can't read the XML format and I am not sure you can buy v7.X from anywhere (maybe someone looking to sell their old copy?)
>
> I know the FLOSS folks have all embraced KiCAD, and kudos to Steve for moving to it.  I have grown so accustomed to EAGLE over the last 14 years, and with the lack of auto back-annotation in KiCAD, I found no value in moving.

Yeah, we discussed this not so long ago here. I would be willing to sacrifice the automatic back-annotation though. My last problem was different. I forced myself to do a relatively simple layout. I hated the fact that I was not able to put all the supplies and bypasses in a dedicated schematics area but had to clutter the main schematic instead. But OK, I did it. Everything looked OK. I got no ERC errors, nothing, and the board would be unusable anyway because two chips were not connected to power/GND plane. Luckily I am used to eyeball the gerbers for possible last minute corrections.

Re: MOS/CSG Kicad library

Jim Brain
On 11/10/2017 4:10 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

>   I hated the fact that I was not able to put all the supplies and bypasses in a dedicated schematics area but had to clutter the main schematic instead.
Can you show an example?  I *think* I know what you mean by putting all
supplies and bypasses ina  area (I put mine in the bottom left of the
sheet that holds the IC they are for, with main VRs and board level
bypasses on a separate sheet), but I am unclear on how KiCAD makes you
place them.
> But OK, I did it. Everything looked OK. I got no ERC errors, nothing, and the board would be unusable anyway because two chips were not connected to power/GND plane. Luckily I am used to eyeball the gerbers for possible last minute corrections.
Ooh, no ERC errors either?  Surely that's a bug someone is squashing, as
I would think that is foundational.

Re: MOS/CSG Kicad library

I decided to witch to Kicad this morning at all costs. Looking for a
card for Michał, I found out that I had a DB-Hires card as well! I
hadn't known this before because it was missing the 6845 and EPROM.
I only reocognized it form Christian's pictures. This will be my
first Kicad project then.

I already started converting my libraries and some of my schematics.
I already found out one strange thing: when converting a Eagle
schematic to a Kicad one, a library containg all parts in this
schematic is created as well. This library HAS to be present in the
same directory otherwise the ICs in the schematic won't show. I have
to find out yet how to tell Kicad to use the libraries in the LIB
directory instead.

Coming Sunday I'll visit my parents-in-law in Poland for a week and
I will have all the time to focus on Kicad.

Re: MOS/CSG Kicad library

> On 2017-11-10, at 16:00, Jim Brain <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  I hated the fact that I was not able to put all the supplies and bypasses in a dedicated schematics area but had to clutter the main schematic instead.
>
> Can you show an example?  I *think* I know what you mean by putting all supplies and bypasses ina  area (I put mine in the bottom left of the sheet that holds the IC they are for, with main VRs and board level bypasses on a separate sheet),

That's almost exactly what I am used to do. The difference being that I prefer bottom right ;-) I once worked for a company that does lots of electronic stuff. Mostly ECU for major players in automotive industry though. Kind of rather advanced stuff with much more strict constraints than consumer electronics due to automotive certifications. I wasn't doing electronics there but since I like it, I watched how they design things, participated sometimes in schematics reviews, etc. One of the things which I liked a lot was that "obvious things" must not obscure the designer's intentions. Like if you are designing a functional block, cluttering its schematics with supplies and bypasses was treated as obscuring the message/intentions and would not pass any review session.

> but I am unclear on how KiCAD makes you place them.

There are no "power gates" in KiCAD. There are "invisible pins" instead. Therefore I wasn't able to "invoke power gates" and place them wherever I see fit. I needed to make "invisible pins" visible and connect them right on the symbol.

>> But OK, I did it. Everything looked OK. I got no ERC errors, nothing, and the board would be unusable anyway because two chips were not connected to power/GND plane. Luckily I am used to eyeball the gerbers for possible last minute corrections.
> Ooh, no ERC errors either?

Precisely!

> Surely that's a bug someone is squashing, as I would think that is foundational.

I reported this. There was even somewhat lengthy discussion on the forum. The understanding was that it's the "invisible pins" feature that makes unconnected (invisible) pins go unnoticed during ERC check. Somewhat in the style "it's a feature, not a bug" but I recall eventually getting a dev admit that it can qualify as bug. AFAIR the suggested fix was to drop the "hidden pins" though.

Re: MOS/CSG Kicad library

> On 2017-11-09, at 21:56, Jim Brain <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I know the FLOSS folks have all embraced KiCAD,

?

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/floss-and-foss.en.html

?

Re: MOS/CSG Kicad library

Jim Brain

On 2017-11-09, at 21:56, Jim Brain [hidden email] wrote:

I know the FLOSS folks have all embraced KiCAD,
?

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/floss-and-foss.en.html

?

Was this directed at me, or for just general awareness of the term?

Re: MOS/CSG Kicad library

silverdr@wfmh.org.pl

> On 2017-11-11, at 01:07, Jim Brain <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> I know the FLOSS folks have all embraced KiCAD,
>>
>> ?
>>
>> https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/floss-and-foss.en.html
>>
>> ?
>>
> Was this directed at me, or for just general awareness of the term?

I wanted to understand if this is what you were referring to and who are those "FLOSS folks".

Re: MOS/CSG Kicad library

Jim Brain

On 2017-11-11, at 01:07, Jim Brain [hidden email] wrote:

I know the FLOSS folks have all embraced KiCAD,
?

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/floss-and-foss.en.html

?

Was this directed at me, or for just general awareness of the term?
I wanted to understand if this is what you were referring to and who are those "FLOSS folks".

It is indeed the term I referenced.  The community includes those who always had an uneasy relationship creating open source projects in EAGLE (not open source), and those who are not upset it has been bought by AutoDesk (not great, IMHO opinion, but not the end of the world) and changed the licensing model (more concerning, since hobbyists don't make enough continued use of the tool to justify a monthly license "rent", and the nature of renting a tool as the only licensing option does not sit well with others).

Re: MOS/CSG Kicad library

silverdr@wfmh.org.pl

> On 2017-11-11, at 18:09, Jim Brain <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It is indeed the term I referenced.  The community includes those who always had an uneasy relationship creating open source projects in EAGLE (not open source), and those who are not upset it has been bought by AutoDesk (not great, IMHO opinion, but not the end of the world) and changed the licensing model (more concerning, since hobbyists don't make enough continued use of the tool to justify a monthly license "rent", and the nature of renting a tool as the only licensing option does not sit well with others).

We are on the same page. The only somewhat palatable subscription model introduced f.e. Jetbrains. Other than that all the software "renting" suggestions from any company meet my middle finger. But I also understand and mentioned that this may work for some people. Probably mostly for those who use the tools daily for their business / paid work. I know some people who still pay Adobe for example ;-) I quit the moment they stopped selling/upgrading perpetual licences. Luckily it was much easier for me to say bye-bye to all Adobe stuff than it is for me to quit EAGLE. There I paid Cadsoft twice. The third time I had enough of their upgrade policies. So I still use old version. Doesn't matter much as I plan to ditch it anyway. Some day, Jennifer, some day... ;-)

Re: MOS/CSG Kicad library

> On 2017-11-10, at 16:53, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Coming Sunday I'll visit my parents-in-law in Poland for a week and
> I will have all the time to focus on Kicad.

That's what they call the correct attitude. ;-)

I guess I shouldn't bother you with a meeting suggestion, should I?

RE: MOS/CSG Kicad library

A bit later than I expected to reply, but I have a life :)

Steve wrote
> It took me about a month to become comfortable with Kicad, so if I can do it anyone can ;-)

As said I tried to get acquainted with Kicad as well when I was in Poland. The schematics were not really a problem, it just took some time to get used to the different behavior of Kicad. But I can draw one conclusion: if you start a SCH in Eagle, don't convert it to Kicad to finish it there. If you want to work with Kicad, my advise is: only use it for new projects.

It is possible to use Eagle parts (after a conversion of course) in Kicad. But be aware: Eagle connects power supplies automatically, Kicad does NOT.

But there is one thing I didn't find out at all: how to convert a SCH into a board? The first time I tried Kicad said it had to download some stuff but having no internet at all, that had to wait until home again. Being at home I had to wait sometime, probaly Kicad was downloading the needed stuff, but at the end it was not clear at all what to do.
So if you Steve, or anybody else, could give me a pointer, please do!

The project I had in mind for Kicad was the DB-Hires card. After quite some trouble I finished it in Eagle, as far as possible. The reason for the last remark: I was not able to trace some pins. The best example: I wasn't able to find a connection between the PRE and CLR pins of both 74LS74 and any other pin. If not used I at least expected them to be connected to Vcc but, as said, nothing. If I find some time I have to desolder at least one of them to find out what is going on. If they indeed have not been connected with anything, that would be weird. I know an open input of a TTL IC is regarded as (H) but to actually do it is not advised.
I hope you remember that I asked once how it was possible to display both text and graphics on the screen. I also wondered about the 8 MHz input and RDY output. Although I drew the schematic (so far), it doesn't mean I studied it. But halfway my work an idea occurred: is it possible that the card is swapping between text and graphic mode all the time?

I have also been playing with my PCbox idea, the PC equivalent of the SoftBox. I already mentioned to use the original terminal program for it but that I dumped the idea for three reasons:
- K.PRG has been tailored towards CP/M. For example, in DOS you can position a cursor, something that CP/M 2 does not support but DOS does. But IMHO a more important reason: CP/M polls the keyboard and does this by asking the CBM if there has been a key pressed. In a PC the PC circuit generates an IRQ to tell the PC that there has been a key pressed. I can let the CBM generate an IRQ through the LPT port when a key has been pressed. OK, I could let the internal timer interrupt scan the keyboard but that is a lot of waist of time IMHO.
- K.PRG uses SRQ as an alternative for ATN to command the CBM. The CBM does nothing else then poll SRQ and if it is negated, it acts on it like a drive would react on an ATN. NDAC is used in the protocol as well but not in the normal way. Now the funny thing. A CBM pulls NDAC  (L) after reading a byte. The 8x50 does not, I checked the sources and this is contrary to the IEEE protocol. But if the other Commodore IEEE drives behave in the same way, NDAC is (H) after an communication session and won't affect the SRQ/CBM protocol. So the moment a session is started by the SoftBox, nothing will hinder this session. But what if another not-Commodore device is attached that nicely pulls NDAC (L) after a session as IEEE-488 expects?
- The SoftBox and CBM split the data bus up in six byes data and 2 bytes handshake. The LPT port od a PC cannot do that, thus end of story.

1�,j�j���a�����^q��i��ɚ�X��X��

Re: MOS/CSG Kicad library

Steve Gray
Yes, the power pins confused me at the start. You need to use the power flag to tell it what is power. So, say you have a chip with a Vcc pin. You need to put a power flag component on the sheet then connect it to a "Vcc" component (both from the power category). Also, I usually make two global labels called "5V" and "GND" and also connect them. IE:  PWR_FLAG-->Vcc--->5V   and  PWR_FLAG-->GND. Then I can easily put a label on any pin or component. With custom parts you have to be careful. I once had some components that used "Vcc" and some that used "+5V" and Kicad wont connect them because they are considered to be different. So, I needed to make sure both Vcc and +5V power components were connected to the power flag component. This is also important say with RAM chips that have 3 separate supply voltages, ie: Vcc, Vbb, Vdd.

With Kicad it gets standard components from GitHub. That way anyone can contribute parts etc. I find the component libraries a little confusing, and I'm still struggling with how the 3D models get associated with parts footprints.

I'd be interested in trying to put your DB-Hires card schematic into Kicad and making a PCB layout if you're willing to share the schematic.

Steve

> [...]

- The SoftBox and CBM split the data bus up in six byes data and 2 bytes handshake. The LPT port od a PC cannot do that, thus end of story.

z����ǧ��k��!��n

RE: MOS/CSG Kicad library

Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud)
Hallo Steve,

> I'd be interested in trying to put your DB-Hires card schematic into Kicad and making a PCB layout if you're willing to share the schematic.

 Of course I share what I have so far, I'll let you know. But my original question remains: how to turn a SCH into a PCB ???

I may assume that, before turning it into a PCB, you simplify the design a bit first:-
- use a 32 KB SRAM instead of eight 2 KB ones
- with less ICs, just one PCB instead of the original two

1�,j�j���a�����^q��i��ɚ�X��X��

Re: MOS/CSG Kicad library

Steve Gray
Are you asking about design changes or the actual process of going from schematic to pcb?

Yes, I think a single board would be easier with a single sram chip. That might simplify the decoding logic as well.

Steve

> I'd be interested in trying to put your DB-Hires card schematic into Kicad and making a PCB layout if you're willing to share the schematic.

Of course I share what I have so far, I'll let you know. But my original question remains: how to turn a SCH into a PCB ???

I may assume that, before turning it into a PCB, you simplify the design a bit first:-
- use a 32 KB SRAM instead of eight 2 KB ones
- with less ICs, just one PCB instead of the original two

12