MAX3420E/MAX3421E USB chips

does anyone here have any info about the MAX3420E and/or MAX3421E USB
chips by Maxim? Did anyone ever use one of them?

The MAX3420E is an USB Device:
MAX3420E: http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/4751

The MAX3421E is an extension of the 3420. It can be used as a USB
controller, too:
MAX3421E: http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/3639

What about prices, availability? Maxim lists < $4 per 1.000 for the
MAX3421E. What are end-user prices in smaller quantities?

Spiro R. Trikaliotis                              http://opencbm.sf.net/
http://www.trikaliotis.net/                     http://www.viceteam.org/

RE: MAX3420E/MAX3421E USB chips

Scott McDonnell-2
Spiro,

I had ordered 2 samples of this part as well as 2 VBUS controllers from
Maxim last year. I have not had a chance to use them yet, but read the
documentation pretty thuroughly.

My application was to interface USB flash drives with a uC. I stumbled
on the vinculum series of products by FTDI. They have firmware on their
page for mass storage driver and FAT16/32 filesystem access. This
essentially makes the vinculum chip a file-server which can handle 2
files open at the same time. They are $12 US in single quantities from
their web shop. I have 2 on hand, but again haven't done much with them
yet.

If your application is similar, I would recommend checking it out.
http://www.vinculum.com/

Scott McDonnell

RE: MAX3420E/MAX3421E USB chips

Scott McDonnell-2
BTW, I have an "alpha" version of the model for the vinculum made up for
eagle. It has not been tested yet, but should work fine. Been too busy
with other projects lately.

Scott McDonnell

Re: MAX3420E/MAX3421E USB chips

Ho do those chips compare to the SL811HS?

> Subject: MAX3420E/MAX3421E USB chips
>
> The MAX3420E is an USB Device:

Andre

RE: MAX3420E/MAX3421E USB chips

Scott McDonnell-2
The main differnce is that the Maxim chips have an SPI interface instead
of parallel like the SL811HS. It is in a much much smaller package as
well. It also has 8 GPIO pins that let you reclaim the IO pins you lose
by connecting to the chip.

All of these features, plus the FAT16/32 and Mass Storage drivers (as
well as other device drivers like keyboard, mouse, serial, etc..) are
also in the vinculum parts.

Ho do those chips compare to the SL811HS?

> Subject: MAX3420E/MAX3421E USB chips
>
> The MAX3420E is an USB Device:

Andre

RE: MAX3420E/MAX3421E USB chips

Steve Judd-2
You might also take a look at quickusb, http://www.quickusb.com/

It is based on ezusb, like everything else, and makes life much simpler.
In addition to the board you can buy the chips, which includes all
licenses etc., for about $30 ea.

-S

Re: MAX3420E/MAX3421E USB chips

Pasi Ojala
Although not designed for just USB, I wonder what kind of projects
people could do with our Ogg Vorbis player chip when it goes into
production..

  http://www.vlsi.fi/vs1000/vs1000.shtml

I was thinking that IEC emulation could be possible with 48MHz
(and SPI) :-)

-Pasi
--
/But what could I do *for* him? That was the important thing. What could I do
 to stop this torment once and for all? Yet I wanted so to touch him -- his

Re: MAX3420E/MAX3421E USB chips

Wolfgang Moser
Hello Steve,

Steve Judd wrote:
> You might also take a look at quickusb, http://www.quickusb.com/
>
> It is based on ezusb, like everything else, and makes life much simpler.
> In addition to the board you can buy the chips, which includes all
> licenses etc., for about $30 ea.

there are lots of such prototyping style boards
with more (quickusb) or less software/firmware
support. I got mine from Braintechnology:

   http://www.braintechnology.de/braintechnology/usb_fastinterface26.html

Many people don't like programming the 8051
architecture controllers but prefer ATmel or
the PICs. For the range of possible applications
related to CBM machines, the biggest limitation
is the price the end-user wants to pay. And then
such prototyping boards quickly went by. Beside
the ATmel chips, the higher speed EZ-USB chips
are only available in TQFP alike packages.

Womo

Re: MAX3420E/MAX3421E USB chips

Hello all,

I am answering to my original mail as I don't answer one specifically.

Unfortunately, most sites do not tell prices (oh,
http://www.braintechnology.de/braintechnology/usb_fastinterface26.html
tells me about $66 per piece!), or they are very expensive. This is not
what I need. Furthermore, it is still unclear to me where I can get such
a chip from, in small quantities.

Spiro R. Trikaliotis                              http://opencbm.sf.net/
http://www.trikaliotis.net/                     http://www.viceteam.org/

RE: MAX3420E/MAX3421E USB chips

Aldrich, David
Hey Folks,

I work at Maxim and it never ceases to amaze me how the rumors spread.  I
looked up the Maxim-Dallas Direct price.  Depending on volume, it goes from
$4.08 to $2.28 US in volume.  Maybe add a little margin for European
distribution.  But $66, no way.

NOTE:  For advisement only.  I do not have privilege to provide official
pricing on this part.  For official quotes contact Maxim Dallas direct.

David Aldrich
Business Manager
SSIP - ATE Products Group
Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.
7250 NW Evergreen Parkway
Hillsboro, OR 97124
(503) 547-2106
(503) 547-2120 (fax)

Re: MAX3420E/MAX3421E USB chips

Marko Mäkelä-3
On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 01:29:31PM -0800, Aldrich, David wrote:
> Hey Folks,
>
> I work at Maxim and it never ceases to amaze me how the rumors spread.  I
> looked up the Maxim-Dallas Direct price.  Depending on volume, it goes from
> $4.08 to $2.28 US in volume.  Maybe add a little margin for European
> distribution.  But $66, no way.
>
> NOTE:  For advisement only.  I do not have privilege to provide official
> pricing on this part.  For official quotes contact Maxim Dallas direct.

Apples and oranges, I would say.  Spiro was referring to a complete module
built around a USB-capable microcontroller (not from Maxim), including
a proprietary software driver.  It was 66 EUR, excluding sales tax.  That'd
be more like $85 USD.

A friend of mine told me that it's possible to order parts from
Maxim-Dallas by credit card, to Europe.  I'll keep that possibility in
mind, because that avenue is probably much easier for low-budget
hobbyists than dealing with large distributors.

RE: MAX3420E/MAX3421E USB chips

Aldrich, David
That is correct.  Maxim also offers an EV-Kit on these parts for about $40
US.
You can always order from Maxim direct.  It is the best way to go price wise
if your willing to wait for the shipping.  Bookings for Europe will be
shipped from the UK.

If you want just a one or two samples.. Maxim is very hobbyist/student
friendly and you can request samples on line.

David Aldrich

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 01:29:31PM -0800, Aldrich, David wrote:

> Hey Folks,
>
> I work at Maxim and it never ceases to amaze me how the rumors spread.
> I looked up the Maxim-Dallas Direct price.  Depending on volume, it
> goes from $4.08 to $2.28 US in volume.  Maybe add a little margin for
> European distribution.  But $66, no way.
>
> NOTE:  For advisement only.  I do not have privilege to provide
> official pricing on this part.  For official quotes contact Maxim
> Dallas direct.

Apples and oranges, I would say.  Spiro was referring to a complete module
built around a USB-capable microcontroller (not from Maxim), including a
proprietary software driver.  It was 66 EUR, excluding sales tax.  That'd be
more like $85 USD.

A friend of mine told me that it's possible to order parts from Maxim-Dallas
by credit card, to Europe.  I'll keep that possibility in mind, because that
avenue is probably much easier for low-budget hobbyists than dealing with
large distributors.

Help

Scott McDonnell-2
Would someone please confirm receipt of this email on the cbm-hackers
list?

RE: Help

ruud.baltissen
OK, and why if I may ask?

--
     ___
    / __|__

De informatie in dit e-mailbericht is vertrouwelijk en uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Wanneer u dit bericht per abuis ontvangt, verzoeken wij u contact op te nemen met de afzender per kerende e-mail. Verder verzoeken wij u in dat geval dit e-mailbericht te vernietigen en de inhoud ervan aan niemand openbaar te maken. Wij aanvaarden geen aansprakelijkheid voor onjuiste, onvolledige dan wel ontijdige overbrenging van de inhoud van een verzonden e-mailbericht, noch voor daarbij overgebrachte virussen.

Stichting Pensioenfonds ABP is gevestigd te Heerlen en ingeschreven bij de Kamer van Koophandel Zuid Limburg onder nummer: 41074000

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. It may be read, copied and used only by the intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please contact the sender immediately by return e-mail; please delete in this case the e-mail and do not disclose its contents to any person. We don't accept liability for any errors, omissions, delays of receipt or viruses in the contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.

Stichting Pensioenfonds ABP, having its registered office at Heerlen, is registered in the Traderegister of the Chamber of Commerce Zuid Limburg (Maastricht), the Netherlands, registration number: 41074000

Re: MAX3420E/MAX3421E USB chips

Hello David,

as Marko correctly stated, I was referring to that full module with my
$66 pricing. Additionally, I confuse EUR and dollar there.

I did not want to tell anything else.

* On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 02:34:26PM -0800 Aldrich, David wrote:

> If you want just a one or two samples.. Maxim is very hobbyist/student
> friendly and you can request samples on line.

Thank you for this remark, I was not aware of this, but now, I found it
on the site.