Luma discussions

boelle

On 02/20/2017 01:32 PM, smf wrote:
On 20/02/2017 10:41, [hidden email] wrote:
The "dust" he writes about applies to my understanding only to the
"modern plasma TV" he used and which I expect does bad job handling
off specs signals.

Old tv's are blurry and uses anlogue processing. Plasma TV's have
crisper pixels & depending on the TV and how it's setup could have less
than 8 bits of colour resolution per channel. This makes irregularities
in the video signal more visible, which is especially worse if the
plasma TV has a much larger screen size.

Especially if you use S-Video and the Luma signal is not completly clean but contains traced of Chroma. Also, some Displays get confused by the Chroma signal from the C64, for those you need to add a 300 Ohm series resistor to the Chroma line.