Is it at all possible?

1234 ... 10

Is it at all possible?

boelle
Hi

I got hold of an eagle schematic for the C64

http://www.baltissen.org/images/c64.png
http://www.baltissen.org/zip/c64.zip

First of all i wonder what board rev matches this schematic? and if there are a high res scan "out there" i could use for initial component placement

Next would part are ABSOLUTE not to be found no where? ie it would be insane to look if it cant be found anyways, but my goal was to do a BOM and board layout

Next, how much use would the work be in general?

Re: Is it at all possible?

bwack
Den 13.02.2017 23:00, skrev Bo Herrmannsen:
I got hold of an eagle schematic for the C64

http://www.baltissen.org/images/c64.png
http://www.baltissen.org/zip/c64.zip

First of all i wonder what board rev matches this schematic? and if there are a high res scan "out there" i could use for initial component placement
Elimination method. 65xx chips, 8 pin port, has PLL and eight ram ic's --> 250407 I think of some revision.

Bwack.

RE: Is it at all possible?

Hallo Bo,

> First of all i wonder what board rev matches this schematic?

I have no idea. The source is the schematic in the well known Programmers Reference Guide.

> and if there are a high res scan "out there" i could use for initial component placement

Write me in private and I will generate a PNG with an higher resolution. Or you can have the original files. Eagle can be downloaded and you can create your PNG. And you can tinker with the SCH yourself.

> Next would part are ABSOLUTE not to be found no where?

These parts aren't that rare. Just ask around.

> and board layout

Hasn't that be done already? Several people have asked for the SCH before.

Hmmm, next thought: what about using the ATX format?

> Next, how much use would the work be in general?

Depends on your skills and experience.

Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,
Ruud Baltissen

1�,j�j���a�����^q��i��ɚ�X��X��

Re: Is it at all possible?

Julian Perry
Re: Is it at all possible? Hello GJPAA,

> Hallo Bo,

>> First of all i wonder what board rev matches this schematic?

> I have no idea. The source is the schematic in the well known Programmers Reference Guide.

As Hans has mentioned,  it looks very, very close to Rev 250407. Nothing was ever absolute with Commodore boards, but I think that's as close as you'll get. Commodore were always tinkering with the analog video and audio (particularly early on) so there may be some differences there.

>> and if there are a high res scan "out there" i could use for initial component placement

> Write me in private and I will generate a PNG with an higher
> resolution. Or you can have the original files. Eagle can be
> downloaded and you can create your PNG. And you can tinker with the SCH yourself.

>> Next would part are ABSOLUTE not to be found no where?

> These parts aren't that rare. Just ask around.

>> and board layout

> Hasn't that be done already? Several people have asked for the SCH before.

There was the C64 reloaded a short while back (
http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/C64_reloaded ). Aside from cleaner video output I didn't quite see the point: but it's always nice to see the C64 candle burning bright !!

> Hmmm, next thought: what about using the ATX format?

>> Next, how much use would the work be in general?

> Depends on your skills and experience.

> Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,
> Ruud Baltissen

> www.Baltissen.org
[hidden email] Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Re: Is it at all possible?

Julian Perry
Re: Is it at all possible? As an aside, I also came across this: a mini-ATX C64 board project.
http://clone-a-dore.blogspot.com.au/

Seems to be a slow burn project, but he's been at it as recently as August last year

Re: Is it at all possible?

boelle
about the SCH... I have allready got my hands on those and looked at them, very well done.

the only thing was that eagle complained about missing lib so i had to do the replace command on a few of the bits as you had changed the name of the lib, it was no big deal

About board layout, that is why i asked for high res photo's af a matching board, i did use google but came up empty, the best i could find was http://www.vintagecomputer.net/commodore/64/commodore_64/c64_last.jpg

but that was not a match as it does not use 8 ram chips

> Next, how much use would the work be in general?

with that i mean how much joy would my work  be to others in general

Hallo Bo,

> First of all i wonder what board rev matches this schematic?

I have no idea. The source is the schematic in the well known Programmers Reference Guide.

> and if there are a high res scan "out there" i could use for initial component placement

Write me in private and I will generate a PNG with an higher resolution. Or you can have the original files. Eagle can be downloaded and you can create your PNG. And you can tinker with the SCH yourself.

> Next would part are ABSOLUTE not to be found no where?

These parts aren't that rare. Just ask around.

> and board layout

Hasn't that be done already? Several people have asked for the SCH before.

Hmmm, next thought: what about using the ATX format?

> Next, how much use would the work be in general?

Depends on your skills and experience.

Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,
Ruud Baltissen

Re: Is it at all possible?

boelle
upps and yes i'm starting to make a BOM here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Gl0Q71u6fKLPRA9HQiSG8-xY8tPweMwXuy_UGQ1Iayo/edit?usp=sharing

i have allowed comments in the case i cant find sources, but its not done yet. I'm in the process of grouping the same component on one line

Hallo Bo,

> First of all i wonder what board rev matches this schematic?

I have no idea. The source is the schematic in the well known Programmers Reference Guide.

> and if there are a high res scan "out there" i could use for initial component placement

Write me in private and I will generate a PNG with an higher resolution. Or you can have the original files. Eagle can be downloaded and you can create your PNG. And you can tinker with the SCH yourself.

> Next would part are ABSOLUTE not to be found no where?

These parts aren't that rare. Just ask around.

> and board layout

Hasn't that be done already? Several people have asked for the SCH before.

Hmmm, next thought: what about using the ATX format?

> Next, how much use would the work be in general?

Depends on your skills and experience.

Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,
Ruud Baltissen

RE: Is it at all possible?

Hallo Bo,

> the only thing was that eagle complained about missing lib

My libs are free as well. Email me in private and you can have them as well. See my site for the address. Anyone interested can ask as well

Met vriendelijke groet,

Ruud Baltissen

Re: Is it at all possible?

boelle
The libs was on your site, but you have changed the name on the libs since you made the SCH

So eagle could not find them, but i sorted it out

Hallo Bo,

> the only thing was that eagle complained about missing lib

My libs are free as well. Email me in private and you can have them as well. See my site for the address. Anyone interested can ask as well

Met vriendelijke groet,

Ruud Baltissen

Re: Is it at all possible?

boelle
btw... you do have a mail from me with the SCH, just in the XML format that eage uses since V6

Hallo Bo,

> the only thing was that eagle complained about missing lib

My libs are free as well. Email me in private and you can have them as well. See my site for the address. Anyone interested can ask as well

Met vriendelijke groet,

Ruud Baltissen

RE: Is it at all possible?

Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud)

Hallo Bo,

> btw... you do have a mail from me with the SCH, just in the XML format that eage uses since V6

I still use 5.10 for a very simple reason: it is a full license version that can handle any size of board. And as long newer version can import the SCHs and LIBs, that shouldn't be any problem IMHO. The only disadvantage: I cannot import the LIBs and SCHs of newer versions. But for that reason I also have a free version, 7.10 I think, running to be able to have a look at them.

Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,

Ruud Baltissen

Re: Is it at all possible?

boelle
So a full license is only good for that version? and each time they make a new version you have to buy a new license or buy an upgrade?

I can understand why you keep the old version

I wish i had an license key arround as it will sure be needed to make a drop-in replacement board

This is the first reason why i undertake this work, to make a few limited runs of replacement board for those machines that need it

Hallo Bo,

> btw... you do have a mail from me with the SCH, just in the XML format that eage uses since V6

I still use 5.10 for a very simple reason: it is a full license version that can handle any size of board. And as long newer version can import the SCHs and LIBs, that shouldn't be any problem IMHO. The only disadvantage: I cannot import the LIBs and SCHs of newer versions. But for that reason I also have a free version, 7.10 I think, running to be able to have a look at them.

Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,

Ruud Baltissen

Re: Is it at all possible?

Didier Derny

with eagle 8 you  have to take a subscription...  and pay each month or year...

I think it is time to move to Kicad...

On 14/02/2017 10:50, Bo Herrmannsen wrote:
So a full license is only good for that version? and each time they make a new version you have to buy a new license or buy an upgrade?

I can understand why you keep the old version

I wish i had an license key arround as it will sure be needed to make a drop-in replacement board

This is the first reason why i undertake this work, to make a few limited runs of replacement board for those machines that need it

Hallo Bo,

> btw... you do have a mail from me with the SCH, just in the XML format that eage uses since V6

I still use 5.10 for a very simple reason: it is a full license version that can handle any size of board. And as long newer version can import the SCHs and LIBs, that shouldn't be any problem IMHO. The only disadvantage: I cannot import the LIBs and SCHs of newer versions. But for that reason I also have a free version, 7.10 I think, running to be able to have a look at them.

Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,

Ruud Baltissen

Re: Is it at all possible?

boelle
i have tried kicad... to much difference for my little head :-D

but if i can upgrade from 7.7 to 8 and pay just for a month i can live with that

with eagle 8 you  have to take a subscription...  and pay each month or year...

I think it is time to move to Kicad...

On 14/02/2017 10:50, Bo Herrmannsen wrote:
So a full license is only good for that version? and each time they make a new version you have to buy a new license or buy an upgrade?

I can understand why you keep the old version

I wish i had an license key arround as it will sure be needed to make a drop-in replacement board

This is the first reason why i undertake this work, to make a few limited runs of replacement board for those machines that need it

Hallo Bo,

> btw... you do have a mail from me with the SCH, just in the XML format that eage uses since V6

I still use 5.10 for a very simple reason: it is a full license version that can handle any size of board. And as long newer version can import the SCHs and LIBs, that shouldn't be any problem IMHO. The only disadvantage: I cannot import the LIBs and SCHs of newer versions. But for that reason I also have a free version, 7.10 I think, running to be able to have a look at them.

Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,

Ruud Baltissen

Re: Is it at all possible?

boelle
hmmm

might reconsider as this does quite a bit of the work

anyways have sorted most of the resistors

will do the capacitors next... who knows which ones are what type?

my ultimate goal would be to produce a board that fits in the breadbin and another that fits the new style box.. could i get away with the same schematic?

its a long time since i have been arround anything C64 but man it brings out child memory's

with eagle 8 you  have to take a subscription...  and pay each month or year...

I think it is time to move to Kicad...

On 14/02/2017 10:50, Bo Herrmannsen wrote:
So a full license is only good for that version? and each time they make a new version you have to buy a new license or buy an upgrade?

I can understand why you keep the old version

I wish i had an license key arround as it will sure be needed to make a drop-in replacement board

This is the first reason why i undertake this work, to make a few limited runs of replacement board for those machines that need it

Hallo Bo,

> btw... you do have a mail from me with the SCH, just in the XML format that eage uses since V6

I still use 5.10 for a very simple reason: it is a full license version that can handle any size of board. And as long newer version can import the SCHs and LIBs, that shouldn't be any problem IMHO. The only disadvantage: I cannot import the LIBs and SCHs of newer versions. But for that reason I also have a free version, 7.10 I think, running to be able to have a look at them.

Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,

Ruud Baltissen

Re: Is it at all possible?

silverdr-2

> On 2017-02-14, at 12:06, Bo Herrmannsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> hmmm
>
> https://github.com/lachlanA/eagle-to-kicad-libs
>
> might reconsider as this does quite a bit of the work
>
> anyways have sorted most of the resistors
>
> will do the capacitors next... who knows which ones are what type?
>
> my ultimate goal would be to produce a board that fits in the breadbin and another that fits the new style box..

Both cases accept both boards' mechanicals.

I once made a full schematic and started laying out the first board but Jens took the steam off my project.

--
SD!

Re: Is it at all possible?

boelle
yeee... i like the easy parts. ie one board that can fit in both case's

once i get all the parts sourced i will start on the board layout

when that time comes it would be nice with a very detailed photograph (or scan in a scanner) of ANY board that matches the schematic that Ruud has on his site

but no rush, i accept all help i can get when its possible

> On 2017-02-14, at 12:06, Bo Herrmannsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> hmmm
>
> https://github.com/lachlanA/eagle-to-kicad-libs
>
> might reconsider as this does quite a bit of the work
>
> anyways have sorted most of the resistors
>
> will do the capacitors next... who knows which ones are what type?
>
> my ultimate goal would be to produce a board that fits in the breadbin and another that fits the new style box..

Both cases accept both boards' mechanicals.

I once made a full schematic and started laying out the first board but Jens took the steam off my project.

--
SD!

RE: Is it at all possible?

Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud)

Hallo Bo,

> once i get all the parts sourced i will start on the board layout

What parts do you still need?

Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,

Ruud Baltissen

Re: Is it at all possible?

boelle
oh i try to get a source for all parts

I have just done all the resistors and working my way up.

Hallo Bo,

> once i get all the parts sourced i will start on the board layout

What parts do you still need?

Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,

Ruud Baltissen

Re: Is it at all possible?

boelle
I do this work as i'm home going so i have plenty of time

Also i like completeness so that anyone will be able to get parts without doing to much searching

is there a BOM allready out there where i can get values for the different parts etc?

Hallo Bo,