Hot 1541

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hot 1541

silverdr-2

> On 2017-01-07, at 18:10, Francesco Messineo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Oh, by the way, never stack the C64 over the 154I for a few hours... I
> had forgotten how hot that drive likes to live.

Long ago I made a good use of an Atari ST and installed its internal switcher in place of the 1541 transformer, bypassing (actually removing) other hot suckers on the way.

Once the transformer, the rectifiers and the voltage regulators are gone - you can stack whatever you want on it ;-) The drive merely gets warm. And a kid can easily hold it with one hand as a bonus ;-)

--
SD!


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hot 1541

Francesco Messineo
On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 7:26 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>> On 2017-01-07, at 18:10, Francesco Messineo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Oh, by the way, never stack the C64 over the 154I for a few hours... I
>> had forgotten how hot that drive likes to live.
>
> Long ago I made a good use of an Atari ST and installed its internal switcher in place of the 1541 transformer, bypassing (actually removing) other hot suckers on the way.
>
> Once the transformer, the rectifiers and the voltage regulators are gone - you can stack whatever you want on it ;-) The drive merely gets warm. And a kid can easily hold it with one hand as a bonus ;-)
>
Oh yes sure! It makes much sense. I only have too many other things
going on lately :)
I would rather use my 1541-II if I could make the head contact
pressure more reliable. It works for days, then it starts to get
intermittent until I open it again and tweak the head assembly...

F

       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hot 1541

Gerrit Heitsch
In reply to this post by silverdr-2
On 01/07/2017 07:26 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> On 2017-01-07, at 18:10, Francesco Messineo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Oh, by the way, never stack the C64 over the 154I for a few hours... I
>> had forgotten how hot that drive likes to live.
>
> Long ago I made a good use of an Atari ST and installed its internal switcher in place of the 1541 transformer, bypassing (actually removing) other hot suckers on the way.
>
> Once the transformer, the rectifiers and the voltage regulators are gone - you can stack whatever you want on it ;-) The drive merely gets warm. And a kid can easily hold it with one hand as a bonus ;-)

You can also check if the 1541 can be set to 240V input voltage. If yes,
do that and it will get less hot.

Take a look at the transformer and if there is a another wire on the
input side, measure the resistance against the other 2 input wires. It
should be obvious what you should measure if it's the wire for 240V.

The 1571 with a transformer PSU has ready to use jumpers on the power
supply PCB marked 220V and 240V.


  Gerrit



       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hot 1541

silverdr-2

> On 2017-01-07, at 19:47, Gerrit Heitsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 01/07/2017 07:26 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> On 2017-01-07, at 18:10, Francesco Messineo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Oh, by the way, never stack the C64 over the 154I for a few hours... I
>>> had forgotten how hot that drive likes to live.
>>
>> Long ago I made a good use of an Atari ST and installed its internal switcher in place of the 1541 transformer, bypassing (actually removing) other hot suckers on the way.
>>
>> Once the transformer, the rectifiers and the voltage regulators are gone - you can stack whatever you want on it ;-) The drive merely gets warm. And a kid can easily hold it with one hand as a bonus ;-)
>
> You can also check if the 1541 can be set to 240V input voltage. If yes, do that and it will get less hot.

I know this trick and I did that in '86 already ;-) Didn't help /much/.

--
SD!


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hot 1541

Gerrit Heitsch
On 01/07/2017 08:00 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

>
>> On 2017-01-07, at 19:47, Gerrit Heitsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 01/07/2017 07:26 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>>> On 2017-01-07, at 18:10, Francesco Messineo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Oh, by the way, never stack the C64 over the 154I for a few hours... I
>>>> had forgotten how hot that drive likes to live.
>>>
>>> Long ago I made a good use of an Atari ST and installed its internal switcher in place of the 1541 transformer, bypassing (actually removing) other hot suckers on the way.
>>>
>>> Once the transformer, the rectifiers and the voltage regulators are gone - you can stack whatever you want on it ;-) The drive merely gets warm. And a kid can easily hold it with one hand as a bonus ;-)
>>
>> You can also check if the 1541 can be set to 240V input voltage. If yes, do that and it will get less hot.
>
> I know this trick and I did that in '86 already ;-) Didn't help /much/.

Then replace the 5V regulator (7805) with a switching regulator. That
should make the largest difference since the 7812 is used mainly for the
motors which don't run all the time.

  Gerrit





       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hot 1541

Francesco Messineo
On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 8:05 PM, Gerrit Heitsch
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>>>
>>>
>>> You can also check if the 1541 can be set to 240V input voltage. If yes,
>>> do that and it will get less hot.


interesting, I've never realized the 154I could be set for 220V or
240V, I'm going to take a look
right now :)

>>
>> I know this trick and I did that in '86 already ;-) Didn't help /much/.
>
>
> Then replace the 5V regulator (7805) with a switching regulator. That should
> make the largest difference since the 7812 is used mainly for the motors
> which don't run all the time.

I made DC-DC boards to replace the C64/VIC-20 power supply regulator,
so I just have
spare boards for this mod. It's quite faster than replacing the whole
thing (including the transformer), it would make the transformer run
much cooler, as it did for the C64 power supply's one.

Thanks for the hints :)
F

       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hot 1541

silverdr-2
In reply to this post by Gerrit Heitsch

> On 2017-01-07, at 20:05, Gerrit Heitsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 01/07/2017 08:00 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> On 2017-01-07, at 19:47, Gerrit Heitsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 01/07/2017 07:26 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> On 2017-01-07, at 18:10, Francesco Messineo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Oh, by the way, never stack the C64 over the 154I for a few hours... I
>>>>> had forgotten how hot that drive likes to live.
>>>>
>>>> Long ago I made a good use of an Atari ST and installed its internal switcher in place of the 1541 transformer, bypassing (actually removing) other hot suckers on the way.
>>>>
>>>> Once the transformer, the rectifiers and the voltage regulators are gone - you can stack whatever you want on it ;-) The drive merely gets warm. And a kid can easily hold it with one hand as a bonus ;-)
>>>
>>> You can also check if the 1541 can be set to 240V input voltage. If yes, do that and it will get less hot.
>>
>> I know this trick and I did that in '86 already ;-) Didn't help /much/.
>
> Then replace the 5V regulator (7805) with a switching regulator. That should make the largest difference since the 7812 is used mainly for the motors which don't run all the time.

I have a nice PCB with Molex connector (as used for power in 5.25 and 3.5 inch drives) where the voltage regulators used to be. So no need for anything else. The drive is as cool as it gets. Besides an el cheapo switching PSU is probably about the same price as a switching regulator these days ;-) Before that I remember I eventually replaced the rectifiers with bigger ones after having two die on me out of overheating probably. The 240V and the rectifiers helped a bit but not enough to be comfortable stacking things on top of the 1541.  The only problem I experienced with the cheap switching PSUs for 1541(-II) is that they can cause interference on the.. 64 screen! Adding some ferrites, which the Chinese like to substitute with wire jumpers usually helps though.

--
SD!


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hot 1541

silverdr-2
In reply to this post by Francesco Messineo

> On 2017-01-07, at 20:24, Francesco Messineo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>>> You can also check if the 1541 can be set to 240V input voltage. If yes,
>>>> do that and it will get less hot.
>
> interesting, I've never realized the 154I could be set for 220V or
> 240V, I'm going to take a look
> right now :)

Now it is 230V but back in the days we had 220V in continental Europe and 240V in the UK (AFAIR). It was common to have transformers winded for both voltages. Changing the input for the 240V one while supplying 220V used to help in keeping the 1541 temperature down a tiny notch.

--
SD!


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hot 1541

Spiro Trikaliotis
In reply to this post by silverdr-2
Hello,

* On Sat, Jan 07, 2017 at 08:29:42PM +0100 [hidden email] wrote:
 
> The only problem I experienced with the cheap switching PSUs for 1541(-II) is that they can cause interference on the.. 64 screen!

I remember that WoMo once installed a switching PSU into one of his
1571. After that, the 1571 could not reliably read from the disk, due to
interference. The problem went away when he moved the PSU away from the
1571.

I do not know how he solved that problem, though.

Regards,
Spiro.

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis
http://www.trikaliotis.net/

       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hot 1541

silverdr-2

> On 2017-01-07, at 20:38, Spiro Trikaliotis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> * On Sat, Jan 07, 2017 at 08:29:42PM +0100 [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> The only problem I experienced with the cheap switching PSUs for 1541(-II) is that they can cause interference on the.. 64 screen!
>
> I remember that WoMo once installed a switching PSU into one of his
> 1571. After that, the 1571 could not reliably read from the disk, due to
> interference. The problem went away when he moved the PSU away from the
> 1571.

I didn't experience any problems with the drives but - shame to admit - I spent once over half a day blaming my monitor and looking for caps to replace or whatever...
--
SD!


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
smf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hot 1541

smf
In reply to this post by silverdr-2
On 07/01/2017 19:34, [hidden email] wrote:
> Now it is 230V but back in the days we had 220V in continental Europe and 240V in the UK (AFAIR). It was common to have transformers winded for both voltages. Changing the input for the 240V one while supplying 220V used to help in keeping the 1541 temperature down a tiny notch.

The nominal voltage is 230V in the UK now, but all they did was go from
240V +6%/-6% to 230V +10%/-6%. So the actual voltage they deliver to
your house didn't have to change. It may have changed by now, but you
could also be receiving 250V.


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list