Firmware Everywhere

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Firmware Everywhere

Bo Zimmerman
Hello all,

I've recently had two new sources of Commodore roms fall into my lap.

One enormous set came from the "Commodore Live Preservation-project at
Revision 2017 demoparty" in Europe. The the roms were delivered to me by
a guy named Torsten Kracke.  The highlights here were dozens and dozens
of new CBM PC-compatible roms, but there were a couple of new 8-bit
things thrown in.  A ton of Amiga and Amiga-related roms also, but I
don't really publish those, so I'm looking around for who might be
willing to sort and publish them.

The second, smaller set was graciously made available to me by Martin
Hoffman-Vetter.  The big highlight here was BASIC 3 roms for the
original PET, but there were additions across the spectrum also,
including Amiga.

So, while I'm sure everyone here already knows the way, here's
directions to those roms:

http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/firmware/

http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm-pc/firmware/

Happy repairing, upgrading, or just researching the differences...

- Bo



       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Firmware Everywhere

Bo Zimmerman
On 5/25/2017 6:56 PM, Bo Zimmerman wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've recently had two new sources of Commodore roms fall into my lap.
>

I added this list to show the new additions over the last several weeks

http://www.zimmers.net/tmp/new-ftp-2017-05-25.html

- Bo


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
smf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Firmware Everywhere

smf
In reply to this post by Bo Zimmerman
On 26/05/2017 00:56, Bo Zimmerman wrote:
> A ton of Amiga and Amiga-related roms also, but I don't really publish
> those, so I'm looking around for who might be willing to sort and
> publish them.

I can get that done.


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Firmware Everywhere

Bo Zimmerman
On 5/26/2017 1:59 AM, smf wrote:

> On 26/05/2017 00:56, Bo Zimmerman wrote:
>> A ton of Amiga and Amiga-related roms also, but I don't really
>> publish those, so I'm looking around for who might be willing to sort
>> and publish them.
>
> I can get that done.
>
>
>       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
>
Thanks!

They are here:

http://www.zimmers.net/tmp/partyami.zip

For what it's worth, here is some advice based on my last 2-3 weeks of
struggling through the other roms:

1. The roms were not always read out at the proper size for the target
eprom, resulting in an image twice as big as it should be.  I used a
little tool called FilePatternFinder * to detect this, and correct this
problem.  I haven't run it against any of the amiga roms yet.

2. The filenames are SOMEWHAT helpful to identifying the rom, but you'll
want more.   To give you some clues, I recommend comparing the unknown
roms to KNOWN roms from your other amiga rom image collections.  When an
unknown rom is 100% identical to a known rom, you win.  When they are
98% similar, you might be looking at another revision of a known rom.  
When they are 10-20% similar, well, at least you know it was written for
the same processor.  To scan all the roms against known ones, I used
SimilarFileFinder*.  This was immensely helpful.

3. If #2 doesn't identify an image, then you might need to just visually
scan the rom for ASCII information.  If it's a kickstart or bios, you'll
find information in there somewhere. However, many of the roms are in
even/odd format.  To fix that problem, I used FileDeInterleaver*.

* all the above named tools can be downloaded here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/coffee-tools/


Enjoy!

- Bo


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
smf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Firmware Everywhere

smf
Thanks very much. I've passed this on as I don't have the time to do it
myself.

We've got people who do this kind of thing for fun.

On 26/05/2017 10:00, Bo Zimmerman wrote:

> Thanks!
>
> They are here:
>
> http://www.zimmers.net/tmp/partyami.zip
>
> For what it's worth, here is some advice based on my last 2-3 weeks of
> struggling through the other roms:
>
> 1. The roms were not always read out at the proper size for the target
> eprom, resulting in an image twice as big as it should be. I used a
> little tool called FilePatternFinder * to detect this, and correct
> this problem.  I haven't run it against any of the amiga roms yet.
>
> 2. The filenames are SOMEWHAT helpful to identifying the rom, but
> you'll want more.   To give you some clues, I recommend comparing the
> unknown roms to KNOWN roms from your other amiga rom image
> collections.  When an unknown rom is 100% identical to a known rom,
> you win.  When they are 98% similar, you might be looking at another
> revision of a known rom.  When they are 10-20% similar, well, at least
> you know it was written for the same processor.  To scan all the roms
> against known ones, I used SimilarFileFinder*. This was immensely
> helpful.
>
> 3. If #2 doesn't identify an image, then you might need to just
> visually scan the rom for ASCII information.  If it's a kickstart or
> bios, you'll find information in there somewhere. However, many of the
> roms are in even/odd format.  To fix that problem, I used
> FileDeInterleaver*.
>
> * all the above named tools can be downloaded here:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/coffee-tools/
>
>
> Enjoy!
>
> - Bo
>
>
>       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Firmware Everywhere

William Levak
In reply to this post by Bo Zimmerman
On Thu, 25 May 2017, Bo Zimmerman wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've recently had two new sources of Commodore roms fall into my lap.
>
> One enormous set came from the "Commodore Live Preservation-project at
> Revision 2017 demoparty" in Europe. The the roms were delivered to me by a
> guy named Torsten Kracke.  The highlights here were dozens and dozens of new
> CBM PC-compatible roms, but there were a couple of new 8-bit things thrown
> in.  A ton of Amiga and Amiga-related roms also, but I don't really publish
> those, so I'm looking around for who might be willing to sort and publish
> them.
>
> The second, smaller set was graciously made available to me by Martin
> Hoffman-Vetter.  The big highlight here was BASIC 3 roms for the original
> PET, but there were additions across the spectrum also, including Amiga.

The PET 3 ROMs 901447-20 thru 901447-26 are identical to ROMs 901439-13
thru 901439-19.  The 901439's are 6540. The 901447's appear to be 2316, at
least some are listed in the Commodore parts list as 2316's.

I will update my PET/CBM parts list.

[hidden email]
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Loading...