FW: Punter

Payton Byrd

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: [hidden email]
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2018 1:51 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Punter

I’m porting PUNTER to the VIC20.  I’ve gotten the Terminal to work and all the RS-232 is working correctly at 300 and 1200 baud.  What’s not working correctly is that whenever the bbs sends GOO, the PUNTER protocol immediately sends ACK, which prevents the blocks from ever being transmitted.  I cannot figure out why it’s doing this.

I’m attaching my current source code (ca65 format)

You compile and link the two files using the included config file.  The output is a runnable binary.

xvic.exe -memory 24k NinjaTerm.vic20

After it runs it will drop back to BASIC

You have to set up the modem before starting the term

open5,2,0,chr$(6)

Next, init the protocol

sys16405

Finally, start the term

sys16399

Dial into your favorite bbs that has punter (I’ve been using afterlife.dynu.com:6400 )

Start the download of a small file, then CTRL-C to quit the term and drop back to BASIC

Sys17614 to start receiving a file via PUNTER

You’ll see the screen fill with ‘:’ which means bad checksum, but it never gets to the point where it’s trying to calculate a checksum (I watch the I/O in the console running tcpser).

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

punter_ass.s (35K) Download Attachment
crt0.s (1K) Download Attachment
vic20-32k.cfg (2K) Download Attachment

RE: Punter

Payton Byrd

Hmm, looking at the logs a little closer, here’s what happens

To bbs: GOO

From bbs:  GOO

To bbs:  GOO

Repeating sequence

From bbs:  ACK

To bbs: S/B

From bbs:  03 02 46 04 04 ff ff 01

To bbs: BAD

From bbs: ACK

To bbs: S/B

From bbs:  03 02 46 04 04 ff ff 01

This sequence just repeats over and over until the BBS gives up.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

RE: Punter

Payton Byrd

Mistake in the instructions.  Use:

open4,2,0,chr$(8)

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hmm, looking at the logs a little closer, here’s what happens

To bbs: GOO

From bbs:  GOO

To bbs:  GOO

Repeating sequence