Does anyone have CP/M disk images that are not already on zimmers.net?

Does anyone have CP/M disk images that are not already on zimmers.net?

Ethan Dicks
Hi, All,

I'm wrapping up a fun little project and one of the details to nail
down is why this CP/M program from 1979 runs on some versions of CP/M
3.0 Plus and not others.  In particular, I get completely successful
operation from the versions on zimmers.net that say they are from "1
AUG 85", but the ones from 8 DEC 85 and 28 MAY 87 do not work.
Specifically, the game asks for user input with a BDOS 10 call (read
buffered input) and on the oldest version, it works, but on the newer
versions, the query text gets printed (BDOS 2 call), the cursor is in
the right place, but keystrokes (including ^C) are not recognized.
This same game runs perfectly fine on a number of CP/M emulators and
CP/M 2.2 (it would have been originally shipped with CP/M 1.4 since
2.2 is really a 1980 product).

I've written a short utility to test the BDOS 10 call and so far, it's
failing to fail.  Pity.  It's so much easier when things break the way
they are supposed to.  I'm still digging for why this app runs on some
versions and not others.  I suspect something may have changed with
the BDOS 10 call and I'm just not finding it in the docs.

So for now, I'm looking for other examples of bootable CP/M 3.0 Plus
disk images so I can tighten the bounding box about what works and
what does not work.

It goes without saying that any new images should end up on zimmers.net too.

Thanks!

Re: Does anyone have CP/M disk images that are not already on zimmers.net?

Zoran Davidovac
Here you can find cpm source:
http://www.z80.eu/c128.html

http://www.cpm.z80.de/binary.html
http://www.cpm8680.com/cpmc64/cpmsys2.htm

Would Visual 1050 CP/M 3.0 Plus work for this?
Bill

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 4:03 PM, william degnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> So for now, I'm looking for other examples of bootable CP/M 3.0 Plus
>>> disk images...
>
> Would Visual 1050 CP/M 3.0 Plus work for this?

Hi, Bill,

Tell me more about this.  I know nothing about the Visual 1050.  What
I was hoping for, and Zoran posted, was something to help me explore
how the BDOS 10 call is implemented and maybe figure out why this game
works for some versions of CP/M on the Commodore 128 and not other
versions.  I'm entirely willing to explore other platforms and CP/M
3.0.  Do you have a way to get a small (8K) program binary onto that
machine for testing?  The go-no-go test takes about 2 seconds - start
the program and type the answer to a couple of prompts.  Success means
it goes to read a data file.  Failure means it hangs and never
attempts to open the data file.

I need to install at Quad/High Density drive onto my disk imaging station to image the disk, or find a terminal program on the 1050 and copy to-from that way.   Could I just mail you a disk and you can return when you're done?  I may have both double and quad density CP/3, I have to look through everything, but I really do need to image all of these disks, plus my Sage II disks which are also HDensity.  I was under the impression that CBM CP/M was nothing like any other, almost an emulated version.  But where I got that is "undocumented in my head"

Re: Does anyone have CP/M disk images that are not already on zimmers.net?

Zoran Davidovac
Hi Bill and Ethan

Visual 1050,  interesting and odd (z80 with 6502 for graphic :))

On http://v1050.classiccmp.org/ there are ROMs with source

-The Z80 boot loader and 6502 graphics firmware ROMs.
-The Z80 assembly source code listing for the boot ROM.
-The 6502 assemblysource code listing for the graphics firmware.

actually whole cpm http://v1050.classiccmp.org/src/index.html
and after reading manual
http://v1050.classiccmp.org/docs/v1050_UsersGuide.pdf

I found about DR GRAPH GSX (graphic) library and googled more
so we could have graphic also on c128 cpm? http://www.z80.eu/gsx.html

http://www.seasip.info/Cpm/gsxint.html
http://www.autometer.de/unix4fun/z80pack/screenshots/gsx80.html

found also emulator V1050
http://eightbitworld1984.blogspot.rs/2012/12/download-and-boot-virtual-visual-1050.html

I liked cp/m because word star 4.0 and turbo pascal :)

I still use joe (editor) that have ws commands.

Regards,

Zoran

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 4:19 PM, william degnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 4:12 PM, Ethan Dicks <[hidden email]> wrote:

Perhaps I should have been clearer that I meant "other examples of
CP/M 3.0 Plus for the Commodore 128"... there are several images on
zimmers.net.  I am looking for versions not posted there so I can
figure out what versions work and which do not.

>> > Would Visual 1050 CP/M 3.0 Plus work for this?
>>
>> Tell me more about this.  I know nothing about the Visual 1050.

Having tracked down some links, it looks like some other brand of
machine, not quite what I was looking for.

To be clearer, I'm not trying to evaluate "CPM 3.0 Plus" on all
platforms, just on the C-128.

> I need to install at Quad/High Density drive onto my disk imaging station to
> image the disk, or find a terminal program on the 1050 and copy to-from that
> way.   Could I just mail you a disk and you can return when you're done?

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think it's going to help me solve my quandry.

>  I was under the impression that CBM CP/M
> was nothing like any other, almost an emulated version.  But where I got
> that is "undocumented in my head"

I'm not aware of it being emulated - there's a real Z80 in the C-128
(and the C-64 CP/M cartridge), but what is "odd" is that the native
Commodore CPU participates in some of the I/O.  They did not write IEC
routines in Z-80 code as far as I can tell, and there is an underlying
"6502 BIOS" that's part of Commodore CP/M.

Re: Does anyone have CP/M disk images that are not already on zimmers.net?

william degnan

To be clearer, I'm not trying to evaluate "CPM 3.0 Plus" on all
platforms, just on the C-128.

ah.
 <SNIP>

I'm not aware of it being emulated - there's a real Z80 in the C-128
(and the C-64 CP/M cartridge), but what is "odd" is that the native
Commodore CPU participates in some of the I/O.  They did not write IEC
routines in Z-80 code as far as I can tell, and there is an underlying
"6502 BIOS" that's part of Commodore CP/M.

There was that cbm series cp/m, but that too is different.  I see now what you meant