Dead Flat C128

traymond
I have a NTSC Flat C128 its Dead black screen when powered up.

I found a few components that are torn up:

The Brownish flat components that have two legs they are all over the MB.

Are there Packet resistors?  Flat has many legs lengthwise I think I have seen them in different colors, but I dont recall any part numbers.

If these are available I can get them from Jameco or Digi-Key etc, Im not using Ebay right now.

I do have a few extra C128 chips but need to get more IC Sockets to swap chips, have a few other Flat 128's for parts, but not the working one.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Dead Flat C128

traymond
Hi Peter,

Thanks I assume you mean the Character Rom and Kernal Rom's?

My power source died so looking into using a 128DCR PSU using a Flat 128's power cable and square connector, I have sources to find the cable.
Can the 128DCR internal power source be used, the output on the PCB has
2GND, +5VDC, +12VDC, 9VAC

I have a C128 power connector pinout that includes the pin voltage for each pin,
this doesnt even mention 12VDC so I assume I dont need the 12VDC do I,
so just dont connect the power cable to 12VDC I assume.

Or can I do this with 128DCR internal power source?

Should I just find the good Flat 128 adjustable beefy power source?

Ray Carlsen is selling a new built from scratch Commodore power source too, so
try to decide.

Thanks again Peter.

Terry Raymond

October 29, 2016 6:03 PM, "Terry Raymond" <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;%5Cx22Terry+Raymond%5Cx22+%5Cx3ctraymond20@gmail.com%5Cx3e&#39;);" target="_blank">traymond20@...> wrote:
I have a NTSC Flat C128 its Dead black screen when powered up.
I found a few components that are torn up:
The Brownish flat components that have two legs they are all over the MB.
Are there Packet resistors? Flat has many legs lengthwise I think I have seen them in different colors, but I dont recall any part numbers.
If these are available I can get them from Jameco or Digi-Key etc, Im not using Ebay right now.
I do have a few extra C128 chips but need to get more IC Sockets to swap chips, have a few other Flat 128's for parts, but not the working one.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Re: Dead Flat C128

peter
I would probably just try to find a working 128 PSU. I'm sure you could wire that 128D PSU to work, but be careful.

Yes, I meant the ROMs on the lower left of the board.

Do you have a "dead test" cartridge? Worth the investment... They should be cheap.

-Pete

October 29, 2016 6:03 PM, "Terry Raymond" <<a target="_blank" data-x-broken-href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','%5Cx22Terry+Raymond%5Cx22+%5Cx3ctraymond20@gmail.com%5Cx3e');" rel="external nofollow noopener noreferrer" tabindex="-1" href="javascript:false">traymond20@...> wrote:
I have a NTSC Flat C128 its Dead black screen when powered up.
I found a few components that are torn up:
The Brownish flat components that have two legs they are all over the MB.
Are there Packet resistors? Flat has many legs lengthwise I think I have seen them in different colors, but I dont recall any part numbers.
If these are available I can get them from Jameco or Digi-Key etc, Im not using Ebay right now.
I do have a few extra C128 chips but need to get more IC Sockets to swap chips, have a few other Flat 128's for parts, but not the working one.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Re: Dead Flat C128

traymond
Yes I could get some from Tim Harris.

Ray Carlsen told me using a 128 DCR power supply and using the Flat C128's power cord with connnector will work but one of the transformers is smaller so it might run hotter.
I added a cooling fan.
I have a case it might fit into.

I need to see if I have C128 Roms.

Im saving for a desoldering gun is a Madell Technology unit but this company
sells refurbished or used units plus other stuff.
A little off topic but makes life easier for desoldering Commodore IC's and sockets.
They sell in U.S.A. and Europe.

Terry Raymond