D64 to D80 conversion and visa versa

lebbatdot
Hello
I was wondering if anyone is aware of a Linux based CLI tool or procedure that conversts from D64 to D80?
As well is anyone familar with the PET version of CBM commander, the download files seem to point to incorrect files.

http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com/releases/view/104344

regards
Brian

Re: D64 to D80 conversion and visa versa

william degnan

On Dec 17, 2016 9:25 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
> I was wondering if anyone is aware of a Linux based CLI tool or procedure that conversts from D64 to D80?
> As well is anyone familar with the PET version of CBM commander, the download files seem to point to incorrect files.
>
> http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com/releases/view/104344
>
> regards
> Brian

Brian,
The 4040 is the IEEE equivalent of the 1541 serial drive so it'd never be possible to simple convert 8050 disks .d80 files.  Not the same capacity.  You'd have to find a way to break up a D80 into 4040 sized chunks.  Perhaps mounting with VICE

Bill

Re: D64 to D80 conversion and visa versa

william degnan

Sorry...re-reading your pist the other way around is easier.  Just copy to an empty .d80 disk using emulated disk copy.

Bill Degnan
twitter: billdeg
vintagecomputer.net

Bill

Re: D64 to D80 conversion and visa versa

> On 2016-12-18, at 03:14, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hello
> I was wondering if anyone is aware of a Linux based CLI tool or procedure that conversts from D64 to D80?

Why not use c1541 (comes with VICE) and a few lines of script? I take by "conver[s]ts" you mean generates a D80 image with the same files as the original D64. While I am not sure about REL files and obviously some decorative (like locked DELs) entries won't get through with regular copy but everything else will.

--
SD!

Re: D64 to D80 conversion and visa versa

lebbatdot
Thanks for the repky

Yes I was interested in program files, I have an 8050 drive, a SuperPet and a Fat 40 converted to 80 columns, thinking of converting it back to show my son some games. I know there is a conversion program, I never did like the screen results.  It seems most of the fat40 material is in d64 format.  Do you mean use a emulated program on say a C64 through VICE and mount two drives?  I have not played with VICE that much.

thanks
Brian

On Dec 18, 2016 3:29 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the repky
>
> Yes I was interested in program files, I have an 8050 drive, a SuperPet and a Fat 40 converted to 80 columns, thinking of converting it back to show my son some games. I know there is a conversion program, I never did like the screen results.  It seems most of the fat40 material is in d64 format.  Do you mean use a emulated program on say a C64 through VICE and mount two drives?  I have not played with VICE that much.
>
> thanks
> Brian

D64 files can be used on a 4040 drive without altering them.  The 4040 is basically a 1541 as far as capacity goes (but faster)

It makes sense one way or the other if you're using the computer hardware you've got to get a 4040 or an IEEE to Serial adapter so you can use a serial drive like a 1541, so you can use d64s.

I was able to put the superpet boot files onto a 4040 disk btw, you should be able to download if from my site.  I have some Pet .d80 on my site too, but most of my stuff is for the Bseries.

If you need anything out into d80 format maybe I or someone else can help.

Feel free to contact me directly if you want

Bill

Re: D64 to D80 conversion and visa versa

> On 2016-12-18, at 21:29, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> […]
> Do you mean use a emulated program on say a C64 through VICE and mount two drives?

Not really. Although what you write yet is another possibility, just not exactly "Linux CLI based" ;-) What I meant was that VICE comes with a handy command-line tool called "c1541". It allows various operations on Commodore disk images from CLI. Those include creating, formatting, file reading/writing, etc. I use it routinely from within Makefile-s for example.

--
SD!

Re: D64 to D80 conversion and visa versa

lebbatdot
I  did some poking around looking for c1541 bash scripts, seems you have the right idea.  I am not a script writer expert, but I am guesig I'll need to loop through a d64 image looking for all the program names, and write out to a d82 image.
I played with hostcm and the bedit editor on the superpet and came up with a batch file that copies Superpet disks to the Linux box.  So I will have to bite the bullet and try the same with c1541.  Do you know of any good examples on the Net, I have seen a few, but have not dived deeply yet.

thanks
Brian

* [hidden email] ([hidden email]) wrote:

> > On 2016-12-18, at 21:29, [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> > [???]
> > Do you mean use a emulated program on say a C64 through VICE and mount two drives?
>
> Not really. Although what you write yet is another possibility, just not exactly "Linux CLI based" ;-) What I meant was that VICE comes with a handy command-line tool called "c1541". It allows various operations on Commodore disk images from CLI. Those include creating, formatting, file reading/writing, etc. I use it routinely from within Makefile-s for example.
>
> --
> SD!

Re: D64 to D80 conversion and visa versa

Per Olofsson-2
On Mon, Dec 19, 2016, at 09:09 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I  did some poking around looking for c1541 bash scripts, seems you have
> the right idea.  I am not a script writer expert, but I am guesig I'll
> need to loop through a d64 image looking for all the program names, and
> write out to a d82 image.
> I played with hostcm and the bedit editor on the superpet and came up
> with a batch file that copies Superpet disks to the Linux box.  So I will
> have to bite the bullet and try the same with c1541.  Do you know of any
> good examples on the Net, I have seen a few, but have not dived deeply
> yet.

c1541 can mount multiple images at the same time, and you can copy files
between them:

c1541 #8> attach source.d64 8
c1541 #8> attach dest.d82 9
c1541 #8> copy @8:file @9:
c1541 #8> dir @9:
0 "dest            " 82 2c
1     "file"              prg
4132 blocks free.

Unfortunately I don't think it handles wildcards, at least not
gracefully.

--
  Per Olofsson

Re: D64 to D80 conversion and visa versa

peter
Someone has already done this exact same process a couple of months ago.
Check the mailing list archives.

-Pete

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2016, at 09:09 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>> I  did some poking around looking for c1541 bash scripts, seems you have
>> the right idea.  I am not a script writer expert, but I am guesig I'll
>> need to loop through a d64 image looking for all the program names, and
>> write out to a d82 image.
>> I played with hostcm and the bedit editor on the superpet and came up
>> with a batch file that copies Superpet disks to the Linux box.  So I
>> will
>> have to bite the bullet and try the same with c1541.  Do you know of any
>> good examples on the Net, I have seen a few, but have not dived deeply
>> yet.
>
> c1541 can mount multiple images at the same time, and you can copy files
> between them:
>
> c1541 #8> attach source.d64 8
> c1541 #8> attach dest.d82 9
> c1541 #8> copy @8:file @9:
> c1541 #8> dir @9:
> 0 "dest            " 82 2c
> 1     "file"              prg
> 4132 blocks free.
>
> Unfortunately I don't think it handles wildcards, at least not
> gracefully.
>
> --
>   Per Olofsson
>   [hidden email]

Re: D64 to D80 conversion and visa versa

Steve Gray
Also, the next release of CBMXfer will support copying between two disk images. Targeting late this month or early Jan release date.

Steve

Someone has already done this exact same process a couple of months ago.
Check the mailing list archives.

-Pete

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2016, at 09:09 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>> I  did some poking around looking for c1541 bash scripts, seems you have
>> the right idea.  I am not a script writer expert, but I am guesig I'll
>> need to loop through a d64 image looking for all the program names, and
>> write out to a d82 image.
>> I played with hostcm and the bedit editor on the superpet and came up
>> with a batch file that copies Superpet disks to the Linux box.  So I
>> will
>> have to bite the bullet and try the same with c1541.  Do you know of any
>> good examples on the Net, I have seen a few, but have not dived deeply
>> yet.
>
> c1541 can mount multiple images at the same time, and you can copy files
> between them:
>
> c1541 #8> attach source.d64 8
> c1541 #8> attach dest.d82 9
> c1541 #8> copy @8:file @9:
> c1541 #8> dir @9:
> 0 "dest            " 82 2c
> 1    "file"              prg
> 4132 blocks free.
>
> Unfortunately I don't think it handles wildcards, at least not
> gracefully.
>
> --
>  Per Olofsson

Re: D64 to D80 conversion and visa versa

Greg King-3
On 2016-12-17 9:14 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> As well, is anyone familar with the PET version of CBM Commander; the download pages seem to point to incorrect files.
>
> http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com/releases/view/104344

This link will take you to the page with the latest version:
http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com/releases/

Its D80 file works in VICE; therefore, I assume that it will work on
your machines.

* Greg King ([hidden email]) wrote:

> On 2016-12-17 9:14 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> >As well, is anyone familar with the PET version of CBM Commander; the download pages seem to point to incorrect files.
> >
> >http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com/releases/view/104344
>
> This link will take you to the page with the latest version:
> http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com/releases/
>
> Its D80 file works in VICE; therefore, I assume that it will work on your
> machines.

Re: D64 to D80 conversion and visa versa

lebbatdot
Hmmm
Well I did look back, and no luck searching on D64, or D80...do you recall the title of the message?

Cheers
Brian

* Pete Rittwage ([hidden email]) wrote:

> Someone has already done this exact same process a couple of months ago.
> Check the mailing list archives.
>
> -Pete
>

> > On Mon, Dec 19, 2016, at 09:09 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> >> I  did some poking around looking for c1541 bash scripts, seems you have
> >> the right idea.  I am not a script writer expert, but I am guesig I'll
> >> need to loop through a d64 image looking for all the program names, and
> >> write out to a d82 image.
> >> I played with hostcm and the bedit editor on the superpet and came up
> >> with a batch file that copies Superpet disks to the Linux box.  So I
> >> will
> >> have to bite the bullet and try the same with c1541.  Do you know of any
> >> good examples on the Net, I have seen a few, but have not dived deeply
> >> yet.
> >
> > c1541 can mount multiple images at the same time, and you can copy files
> > between them:
> >
> > c1541 #8> attach source.d64 8
> > c1541 #8> attach dest.d82 9
> > c1541 #8> copy @8:file @9:
> > c1541 #8> dir @9:
> > 0 "dest            " 82 2c
> > 1     "file"              prg
> > 4132 blocks free.
> >
> > Unfortunately I don't think it handles wildcards, at least not
> > gracefully.
> >
> > --
> >   Per Olofsson
> >   [hidden email]

Re: D64 to D80 conversion and visa versa

lebbatdot
It's working!...I loved Norton when it came out.  Lots of nostalga.
Cheers
Brian

now if we could just get it into a rom....

* Greg King ([hidden email]) wrote:

> On 2016-12-17 9:14 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> >As well, is anyone familar with the PET version of CBM Commander; the download pages seem to point to incorrect files.
> >
> >http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com/releases/view/104344
>
> This link will take you to the page with the latest version:
> http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com/releases/
>
> Its D80 file works in VICE; therefore, I assume that it will work on your
> machines.

Re: D64 to D80 conversion and visa versa

lebbatdot

OK I tried this, but no go

c1541 #8> attach cbmcmd23.d64 8
c1541 #8> attach cbmcmd23.d80 9
c1541 #8> copy @8:file @9:
ERR = 62, FILE NOT FOUND, 00, 00
Cannot read `file'.
Floppy read failed.
c1541 #8> dir @8
0 "cbmcommand      " id 2a
2     "loadcbmcmd"        prg
0     "................"  del
52    "cbmcmd.help"       seq
5     "cbmcmdsplash"      seq
5     "cbmcmdsplash-pet"  seq
0     "................"  del
106   "cbmcommand.c64"    prg
105   "cbmcommand.c128"   prg
93    "cbmcommand.vic20"  prg
105   "cbmcommand.plus4"  prg
0     "................"  del
43    "cbmcmdcfg.c64"     prg
43    "cbmcmdcfg.c128"    prg
42    "cbmcmdcfg.vic20"   prg
44    "cbmcmdcfg.plus4"   prg
0     "................"  del
3     "convertcfg"        prg

Any ideas?  BTW I did get a copy of the programs in d80 format, just playing with this in case I need to do this at some other point.

Thanks
Brian

* Per Olofsson ([hidden email]) wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2016, at 09:09 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> > I  did some poking around looking for c1541 bash scripts, seems you have
> > the right idea.  I am not a script writer expert, but I am guesig I'll
> > need to loop through a d64 image looking for all the program names, and
> > write out to a d82 image.
> > I played with hostcm and the bedit editor on the superpet and came up
> > with a batch file that copies Superpet disks to the Linux box.  So I will
> > have to bite the bullet and try the same with c1541.  Do you know of any
> > good examples on the Net, I have seen a few, but have not dived deeply
> > yet.
>
> c1541 can mount multiple images at the same time, and you can copy files
> between them:
>
> c1541 #8> attach source.d64 8
> c1541 #8> attach dest.d82 9
> c1541 #8> copy @8:file @9:
> c1541 #8> dir @9:
> 0 "dest            " 82 2c
> 1     "file"              prg
> 4132 blocks free.
>
> Unfortunately I don't think it handles wildcards, at least not
> gracefully.
>
> --
>   Per Olofsson
>   [hidden email]

Re: D64 to D80 conversion and visa versa

Francesco Messineo
There's no "file" file in the source disk.

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 3:59 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK I tried this, but no go
>
> c1541 #8> attach cbmcmd23.d64 8
> c1541 #8> attach cbmcmd23.d80 9
> c1541 #8> copy @8:file @9:
> ERR = 62, FILE NOT FOUND, 00, 00
> Cannot read `file'.
> Floppy read failed.
> c1541 #8> dir @8
> 0 "cbmcommand      " id 2a
> 2     "loadcbmcmd"        prg
> 0     "................"  del
> 52    "cbmcmd.help"       seq
> 5     "cbmcmdsplash"      seq
> 5     "cbmcmdsplash-pet"  seq
> 0     "................"  del
> 106   "cbmcommand.c64"    prg
> 105   "cbmcommand.c128"   prg
> 93    "cbmcommand.vic20"  prg
> 105   "cbmcommand.plus4"  prg
> 0     "................"  del
> 43    "cbmcmdcfg.c64"     prg
> 43    "cbmcmdcfg.c128"    prg
> 42    "cbmcmdcfg.vic20"   prg
> 44    "cbmcmdcfg.plus4"   prg
> 0     "................"  del
> 3     "convertcfg"        prg
>
> Any ideas?  BTW I did get a copy of the programs in d80 format, just playing with this in case I need to do this at some other point.
>
> Thanks
> Brian
>

> * Per Olofsson ([hidden email]) wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 19, 2016, at 09:09 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>> > I  did some poking around looking for c1541 bash scripts, seems you have
>> > the right idea.  I am not a script writer expert, but I am guesig I'll
>> > need to loop through a d64 image looking for all the program names, and
>> > write out to a d82 image.
>> > I played with hostcm and the bedit editor on the superpet and came up
>> > with a batch file that copies Superpet disks to the Linux box.  So I will
>> > have to bite the bullet and try the same with c1541.  Do you know of any
>> > good examples on the Net, I have seen a few, but have not dived deeply
>> > yet.
>>
>> c1541 can mount multiple images at the same time, and you can copy files
>> between them:
>>
>> c1541 #8> attach source.d64 8
>> c1541 #8> attach dest.d82 9
>> c1541 #8> copy @8:file @9:
>> c1541 #8> dir @9:
>> 0 "dest            " 82 2c
>> 1     "file"              prg
>> 4132 blocks free.
>>
>> Unfortunately I don't think it handles wildcards, at least not
>> gracefully.
>>
>> --
>>   Per Olofsson
>>   [hidden email]

Re: D64 to D80 conversion and visa versa

peter
Here it is: It was on the ZoomFloppy users list.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/zoomfloppy-users/OtlQAgc1gBE