Creating images quirks

I'm busy creating images, both using the ZF and my CBM-HD PC. I ran
into some quirks:

- For those who are familiar with Silicon Office on CBM:
I have a Dutch version of Silicon Office with two floppies, IMHO
just copies of each other. When creating my program I have troubles
reading tracks 2 and 3, on BOTH disks. I don't know about other
tracks because I stopped the proces. Reading the directory is no
problem.
Could I have run into a protection or whatever?

- TCL Pascal development:
I have two complete manuals including a ROM and a floppy. Both
floppies cannot be read by the 1001. I can read the directory with
the 1571. But creating the image goes wrong starting from track 1. I
thought that all the disks of the x040 series could be read by a
1541 (and thus 1571) but that went wrong for both disks. I even went
so far by using a real 1541 but that was even worse:
 - reading the directory took ages compared to the 1571
 - reading errors starting from track 1
 - after every error the 1541 bumped the head. After track 2 I quit
the operation.
Any idea what is going on?

- Locom-B and Aladin (IMHO two Dutch office programs)
The original disks could be read without any problem. Both had some
program update disk labeled like "Updates-1", "Updates-2" etc. of
the same brand of disks as the original ones. None of these could be
read by neither the 1001 nor the 1571. The weird thing: only these
update disks, others were fine.
I mention this because I could be overlooking something

And FYI: I don't have a 2040, 3040 or 4040.

TIA!

Re: Creating images quirks

Mike Naberezny
On 5/26/17 1:01 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> - For those who are familiar with Silicon Office on CBM:
> I have a Dutch version of Silicon Office with two floppies, IMHO
> just copies of each other. When creating my program I have troubles
> reading tracks 2 and 3, on BOTH disks. I don't know about other
> tracks because I stopped the proces. Reading the directory is no
> problem.
> Could I have run into a protection or whatever?

I tried to image Silicon Office (USA version) a while back.  I also
encountered many read errors, although the software loaded and appeared to
work fine.  I don't have it handy right now to compare the track numbers but I
suspect you're right that it's copy protection.

Regards,
Mike

--
Mike Naberezny ([hidden email]) http://6502.org