Commodore PET 64K memory expansion board using with Supersoft Graphics board

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Commodore PET 64K memory expansion board using with Supersoft Graphics board

AndyG
Hello

I have been playing with the 64K PET memory expansion board on my 4032 in
combination with the Supersoft Graphics board. It works well having
identified 2 fault 4116 IC’s and replaced them.

I have found a text file with the source code for the add-on loader
(zimmers.net), made the necessary changes for it to work with the ‘acme’
assembler, fixed a few bugs and changed it to function as a load only
programme. I can now load larger image files into memory for graphics
displays (after first using a hex editor to point the file to the expanded
memory)

Does anyone actually have a copy of the other programmes that came with the
64K board, such as Add-on Mon, expanded basic with the associated basic rom
files etc. ?

Thanks in advance

Andy



--
Sent from: http://cbm-hackers.2304266.n4.nabble.com/

       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Commodore PET 64K memory expansion board using with Supersoft Graphics board

Ruud
Hallo Andy,


> Does anyone actually have a copy of the other programmes that came
> with the 64K board, such as Add-on Mon, .....

See zimmers.net in pet/src.


--
   
Kind regards / Met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen
www.Baltissen.org







       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Commodore PET 64K memory expansion board using with Supersoft Graphics board

AndyG
Thanks Ruud

I was hoping not to have to repeat the same process as I went through with the add-on loader. The source file from Zimmers also had errors and reformatting it for ‘acme’ was a bit of a pain.

If no one has the actual .prg files then I guess it’s my only option😬

Andy

> On 15 Feb 2018, at 15:59, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hallo Andy,
>
>
>> Does anyone actually have a copy of the other programmes that came
>> with the 64K board, such as Add-on Mon, .....
>
> See zimmers.net in pet/src.
>
>
> --
>
> Kind regards / Met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen
> www.Baltissen.org
>
>
>
>
>
>


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Commodore PET 64K memory expansion board using with Supersoft Graphics board

André Fachat
I think those programs are on the 8296 system disk archive on zimmers.

The 8296 was a reconstructed version of the 8096 i.e. the 8032 with 64k
expansion.

André


Am 15. Februar 2018 5:53:56 PM schrieb Andy <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks Ruud
>
> I was hoping not to have to repeat the same process as I went through with
> the add-on loader. The source file from Zimmers also had errors and
> reformatting it for ‘acme’ was a bit of a pain.
>
> If no one has the actual .prg files then I guess it’s my only option😬
>
> Andy
>
>> On 15 Feb 2018, at 15:59, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Hallo Andy,
>>
>>
>>> Does anyone actually have a copy of the other programmes that came
>>> with the 64K board, such as Add-on Mon, .....
>>
>> See zimmers.net in pet/src.
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> Kind regards / Met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen
>> www.Baltissen.org
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>        Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list



       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Commodore PET 64K memory expansion board using with Supersoft Graphics board

AndyG
Hello André

Thank you - found the disk and extracted it…..

Andy

> On 15 Feb 2018, at 18:58, And Fachat <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think those programs are on the 8296 system disk archive on zimmers.
>
> The 8296 was a reconstructed version of the 8096 i.e. the 8032 with 64k expansion.
>
> André
>
>
> Am 15. Februar 2018 5:53:56 PM schrieb Andy <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Thanks Ruud
>>
>> I was hoping not to have to repeat the same process as I went through with the add-on loader. The source file from Zimmers also had errors and reformatting it for ‘acme’ was a bit of a pain.
>>
>> If no one has the actual .prg files then I guess it’s my only option😬
>>
>> Andy
>>
>>> On 15 Feb 2018, at 15:59, [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> Hallo Andy,
>>>
>>>
>>>> Does anyone actually have a copy of the other programmes that came
>>>> with the 64K board, such as Add-on Mon, .....
>>>
>>> See zimmers.net in pet/src.
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Kind regards / Met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen
>>> www.Baltissen.org
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
>
>
>
>      Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Commodore PET 64K memory expansion board using with Supersoft Graphics board

MiaM
In reply to this post by André Fachat
Den Thu, 15 Feb 2018 19:58:51 +0100 skrev And Fachat <[hidden email]>:
> I think those programs are on the 8296 system disk archive on zimmers.
>
> The 8296 was a reconstructed version of the 8096 i.e. the 8032 with
> 64k expansion.

You all probably already know this, but anyway: The 8296 actually has
128k ram. 96k is arranged the same way as an 8096 (or 8032 with 64k
expansion). The remaining 32k is partially used for video ram (iirc an
8296 have more video ram than all other PETs), and partially with a
simple hardware jumper you can map ram on the areas where you otherwise
can have expansion ROMs.

So atleast in theory there might be some 8296 software that doesn't
work on an 8096.

--
(\_/) Copy the bunny to your mails to help
(O.o) him achieve world domination.
(> <) Come join the dark side.
/_|_\ We have cookies.

       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Commodore PET 64K memory expansion board using with Supersoft Graphics board

AndyG
Oh well… I tried the Add-Mon program in Vice and whilst it appears to work OK, the Save function (which is what I was after) actually saves the whole memory form $0 to $FFFF which is a little unfortunate !!

Looking at the assembly code the start and end addresses appear to be processed but not used -  not sure why


Andy





> On 15 Feb 2018, at 20:03, Mia Magnusson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Den Thu, 15 Feb 2018 19:58:51 +0100 skrev And Fachat <[hidden email]>:
>> I think those programs are on the 8296 system disk archive on zimmers.
>>
>> The 8296 was a reconstructed version of the 8096 i.e. the 8032 with
>> 64k expansion.
>
> You all probably already know this, but anyway: The 8296 actually has
> 128k ram. 96k is arranged the same way as an 8096 (or 8032 with 64k
> expansion). The remaining 32k is partially used for video ram (iirc an
> 8296 have more video ram than all other PETs), and partially with a
> simple hardware jumper you can map ram on the areas where you otherwise
> can have expansion ROMs.
>
> So atleast in theory there might be some 8296 software that doesn't
> work on an 8096.
>
> --
> (\_/) Copy the bunny to your mails to help
> (O.o) him achieve world domination.
> (> <) Come join the dark side.
> /_|_\ We have cookies.
>
>       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Commodore PET 64K memory expansion board using with Supersoft Graphics board

AndyG
I must correct myself…… when you save to disk it does start at $0000 and ends at the address you enter

It is not setting the start address correctly for some reason.

Andy


> On 19 Feb 2018, at 12:51, Andy Grady <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Oh well… I tried the Add-Mon program in Vice and whilst it appears to work OK, the Save function (which is what I was after) actually saves the whole memory form $0 to $FFFF which is a little unfortunate !!
>
> Looking at the assembly code the start and end addresses appear to be processed but not used -  not sure why
>
>
> Andy
>
>
>
>
>
>> On 15 Feb 2018, at 20:03, Mia Magnusson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Den Thu, 15 Feb 2018 19:58:51 +0100 skrev And Fachat <[hidden email]>:
>>> I think those programs are on the 8296 system disk archive on zimmers.
>>>
>>> The 8296 was a reconstructed version of the 8096 i.e. the 8032 with
>>> 64k expansion.
>>
>> You all probably already know this, but anyway: The 8296 actually has
>> 128k ram. 96k is arranged the same way as an 8096 (or 8032 with 64k
>> expansion). The remaining 32k is partially used for video ram (iirc an
>> 8296 have more video ram than all other PETs), and partially with a
>> simple hardware jumper you can map ram on the areas where you otherwise
>> can have expansion ROMs.
>>
>> So atleast in theory there might be some 8296 software that doesn't
>> work on an 8096.
>>
>> --
>> (\_/) Copy the bunny to your mails to help
>> (O.o) him achieve world domination.
>> (> <) Come join the dark side.
>> /_|_\ We have cookies.
>>
>>      Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
>


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Commodore PET 64K memory expansion board using with Supersoft Graphics board

AndyG
In reply to this post by MiaM
As an update - I have now imported the add-on mon source code into ACME and fixed the save bug. I have also added an exit option to the code.

If anyone is interested in making use of this then let me know. Thanks for the tips..

Cheers
Andy

> On 15 Feb 2018, at 20:03, Mia Magnusson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Den Thu, 15 Feb 2018 19:58:51 +0100 skrev And Fachat <[hidden email]>:
>> I think those programs are on the 8296 system disk archive on zimmers.
>>
>> The 8296 was a reconstructed version of the 8096 i.e. the 8032 with
>> 64k expansion.
>
> You all probably already know this, but anyway: The 8296 actually has
> 128k ram. 96k is arranged the same way as an 8096 (or 8032 with 64k
> expansion). The remaining 32k is partially used for video ram (iirc an
> 8296 have more video ram than all other PETs), and partially with a
> simple hardware jumper you can map ram on the areas where you otherwise
> can have expansion ROMs.
>
> So atleast in theory there might be some 8296 software that doesn't
> work on an 8096.
>
> --
> (\_/) Copy the bunny to your mails to help
> (O.o) him achieve world domination.
> (> <) Come join the dark side.
> /_|_\ We have cookies.
>
>       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list