Commodore 8296GD

Re: Commodore 8296GD

Rhialto

On Thu 01 Nov 2012 at 11:37:22 +0100, Micha? Pleban wrote:
> I did not see any significance of bits 3-6. Here are the results of the
> read test (please note that I also tried reading from $F000 but it
> always returns ROM):

I'm reformatting your results a bit. If I ignore some parts of them,
I can draw some tentative conclusions. However, there must be more going
on. I'm ignoring the behaviour of the I/O range here.

0000 0000       $9000 - RAM, $A000 - RAM, $B000 - RAM, $E800 - RAM
        ^
        |- From this you could think that bit 0 is CR6 (I/O Peek Through)...
0000 0001       $9000 - RAM, $A000 - RAM, $B000 - RAM, $E800 - I/O

0000 0100       $9000 - rom, $A000 - rom, $B000 - rom, $E800 - RAM

0000 0101       $9000 - rom, $A000 - rom, $B000 - rom, $E800 - I/O
     1111       normal situation

1000 0000       hang

1000 0010       $9000 - RAM, $A000 - RAM, $B000 - RAM, $E800 - I/O
     1010

1000 0011       $9000 - RAM, $A000 - RAM, $B000 - RAM, $E800 - RAM
     1011
      ^
      |- Looks like /RAM_ON, because it switches RAM at $B000
1000 0100       $9000 - RAM, $A000 - RAM, $B000 - rom, $E800 - I/O
     1100

1000 0101       $9000 - rom, $A000 - RAM, $B000 - rom, $E800 - RAM
     1101
       ^
       |- Looks like /RAMSEL_A, because it switches RAM at A000
       V                        as long as /RAM_ON=1
1000 0110       $9000 - RAM, $A000 - rom, $B000 - rom, $E800 - I/O
     1110
        ^
        |- Looks like /RAMSEL_9, likewise
1000 0111       $9000 - rom, $A000 - rom, $B000 - rom, $E800 - RAM
     1111

For the cases where it hangs, maybe there is a way to get out of it.  I
realised that the register at $FFF0, which contains the I/O peek through
bit, aka CR6, is always accessible to write. By default, the I/O peek
through is 0, I think (the whole register is reset to 00).

So if you write #$40 to $FFF0 before trying to write $E888, it would map
the I/O back into view. That's my theory, at least.

> Michau.
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- There's no point being grown-up if you
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- can't be childish sometimes. -The 4th Doctor

RE: Commodore 8296GD

>> One more thing - the register is not cleared by a reset. So if you map
>> out the BASIC ROM, then press the reset switch, the computer will not
>> restart because the BASIC ROM is still mapped out. Only switching it
>> off and on will work. Quite sloppy design, because resetting the
>> computer while performing some graphics operation may render it
>> unusable unless physically turned off (losing all RAM contents).
>
>The register 74LS174 has a /CLR input at pin 1. I see a track near this pin. On the other end of this track is >pin 2 (/RES) of 6545. So the question is, isn't that connected?

The 8296 has two different reset lines, one for the CRTC and another for everything else. Both goes low for a while when you turn the power on, but the reset button is only connected to the line that doesen't reset the CRTC. That's the reason why you can see the screen contents for a short while after you have pressed the reset button.

P.S. isn there any progress on the reverse engineering of this card? I'd really like to build one myself.

P.P.S.
In case you wounder how I ended up on this list: I just aquired a PET 600, which is basically a rebranded 8296. It has swedish (same as finnish?) ROM's for keyboard layout and character generator, but the keyboard were missing.

I also got an empty CBM II keyboard case. Currently I have rewired the matrix on an old "FACIT" terminal keyboard, made by Cherry (black MX, yay). It's interesting that the keyboard decode routines in ROM actually support a few more keys than the actual keyboard has. As my old terminal keyboard had plenty of extra keys I've wired up those extra keys too. For example I'm able to switch between the two character sets in both directions e.t.c. . Maybe I should make a new PCB that fits in the CBM II keyboard case and use the switches from this terminal. However I'm not sure enough keys will fit, and it feels lika a really bad idea to cut out a bigger hole for the keys in the case. The CBM II machines are probably rather rare as I understand it.

I currently only have a datasette as storage, but some kind of plan involves building some kind of IEEE 488 disk drive emulator, or maybe a general emulator of all kinds of C= IEEE hardware. (AFAIK there were disks, printers and a rare accoustic modem. With an emulation of a "modem" the PET could be used as a terminal for for example a Linux computer.

I'm also known for making lots of plans and seldom actually go through and finish my projects.

P.P.P.S.
I got hold of some old electronic junk that contains a bunch of edge connectors that physically fits the PET but the connectors are "single sided" in the sense that it short circuits the upper and lower pins in each position, thus only usable for the datasette ports. The connectors are wider than the datasette port, and I haven't got any of those "key" things, so you have to cut the connectors and also make some kind of key to be sure it's not inserted incorrectly. Is there any interest for such connectors? The could probably be used with C2N232 with some effort, but otherwise they are probably rather useless.

Re: Commodore 8296GD

william degnan
Great to find an inspiring piece of hardware.

I could be wrong but aren't programs for the B series machines like the European 600/USA B128 incompatible with the 8296?  I thought that the 8296 was more like the PET 8000 series with extra RAM.

But I know little about the 8296, having only seen a dead one that did not power up.  They look exactly like the high profile B series machines such as a the USA CBM 256-80  / European 720

I may have an 8296 diagnostic somewhere.  Does the 8296 have an 8088 co-processor?  Now that would be something rare.

Bill

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 10:59 PM, MiaM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

and a rare accoustic modem. With an emulation of a "modem" the PET could be
used as a terminal for for example a Linux computer.

I'm also known for making lots of plans and seldom actually go through and
finish my projects.

P.P.P.S.
I got hold of some old electronic junk that contains a bunch of edge
connectors that physically fits the PET but the connectors are "single
sided" in the sense that it short circuits the upper and lower pins in each
position, thus only usable for the datasette ports. The connectors are wider
than the datasette port, and I haven't got any of those "key" things, so you
have to cut the connectors and also make some kind of key to be sure it's
not inserted incorrectly. Is there any interest for such connectors? The
could probably be used with C2N232 with some effort, but otherwise they are

Didier Derny

the 8296 is roughly a 8032 + 64k ext packaged in a serie B box

it's new motherboard integrating all the functions

the 8296D has a 8250LP included

there is nothing common with serie B and 8296 except the similar boxes

MiaM wrote:

> P.S. isn there any progress on the reverse engineering of this card? I'd
> really like to build one myself.

Unfortunately, no.

Re: Commodore 8296GD

> On 2012-10-18, at 20:59, Rhialto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 10 c = 59520 : rem crtc address
> 20 poke c, 12: poke c+1, 2
> 100 a=40960
> 101 fori = a to a+2048: poke i,255: next
> 110 for i = 0 to 512
> 120 poke a+i,i and 255: poke a+i+1024,i and 255
> 130 next
> 300 for i = 0 to 9000: next
> 310 poke c, 12: poke c+1, 16
> ready.
>
> (you can cut & paste that into VICE these days!)

How does one do it in VICE Version 3.0 rev 32946 (XAW x86_64 [...]) ?

OR do I need to compile some-option-in?

Re: Commodore 8296GD

Groepaz
On Monday 29 May 2017, 11:47:12 [hidden email] wrote:

> > On 2012-10-18, at 20:59, Rhialto <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > 10 c = 59520 : rem crtc address
> > 20 poke c, 12: poke c+1, 2
> > 100 a=40960
> > 101 fori = a to a+2048: poke i,255: next
> > 110 for i = 0 to 512
> > 120 poke a+i,i and 255: poke a+i+1024,i and 255
> > 130 next
> > 300 for i = 0 to 9000: next
> > 310 poke c, 12: poke c+1, 16
> > ready.
> >
> > (you can cut & paste that into VICE these days!)
>
> How does one do it in VICE Version 3.0 rev 32946 (XAW x86_64 [...]) ?
>
> OR do I need to compile some-option-in?

use the GTK port - XAW doesnt have it iirc

--

http://www.hitmen-console.org    http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
http://www.pokefinder.org        http://ar.pokefinder.org

Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade
themselves that they have a better idea.
<John Ciardi>

Re: Commodore 8296GD

derrikw2
On 05/29/2017 10:48 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Monday 29 May 2017, 11:47:12 [hidden email] wrote:
>>> On 2012-10-18, at 20:59, Rhialto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> 10 c = 59520 : rem crtc address
>>> 20 poke c, 12: poke c+1, 2
>>> 100 a=40960
>>> 101 fori = a to a+2048: poke i,255: next
>>> 110 for i = 0 to 512
>>> 120 poke a+i,i and 255: poke a+i+1024,i and 255
>>> 130 next
>>> 300 for i = 0 to 9000: next
>>> 310 poke c, 12: poke c+1, 16
>>> ready.
>>>
>>> (you can cut & paste that into VICE these days!)
>> How does one do it in VICE Version 3.0 rev 32946 (XAW x86_64 [...]) ?
>>
>> OR do I need to compile some-option-in?
> use the GTK port - XAW doesnt have it iirc

The version I have installed from RPM fusion, the paste even takes care
of capitalizing the commands.

--
-- Derrik

Derrik Walker v2.0, RHCE
[hidden email]

"Those UNIX guys, they think weird!" -- John C. Dvorak

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Commodore 8296GD

silverdr-2

>>> How does one do it in VICE Version 3.0 rev 32946 (XAW x86_64 [...]) ?
>>>
>>> OR do I need to compile some-option-in?
>> use the GTK port - XAW doesnt have it iirc
>
> The version I have installed from RPM fusion, the paste even takes care of capitalizing the commands.

Could you confirm it being XAW?

Re: Commodore 8296GD

> On 2017-05-29, at 16:48, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>>> (you can cut & paste that into VICE these days!)
>>
>> How does one do it in VICE Version 3.0 rev 32946 (XAW x86_64 [...]) ?
>>
>> OR do I need to compile some-option-in?
>
> use the GTK port -

GTK port is a PITA to compile here, but..

On 2012-10-19, at 00:14, Rhialto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually I don't know how long the GTK version had it, I just copied the
> feature into the Xaw version at some point when I noticed it.

how should I understand this?

Re: Commodore 8296GD

Groepaz
On Monday 29 May 2017, 17:03:28 [hidden email] wrote:

> On 2012-10-19, at 00:14, Rhialto <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Actually I don't know how long the GTK version had it, I just copied the
> > feature into the Xaw version at some point when I noticed it.
>
> how should I understand this?

"rhialto is the only one compiling XAW" =)

--

http://www.hitmen-console.org    http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
http://www.pokefinder.org        http://ar.pokefinder.org

Schön wäre es, wenn wir wirklich eine Frei-zeitgesellschaft hätten, dann wären
echtes Bemühen und Anstrenungen für Dinge möglich, die über dem Arbeiten fürs
Fressen liegen, insbesondere der Kunst. Mir scheint es eher, als hätten wir
eine Arbeits- bzw -losigkeitsgesellschaft; alles, was an Freizeit entsteht
wird umgemodelt zur Arbeitslosigkeit, und das, was wir an "Freizeitangeboten"
haben, erscheint mir eher als Symptomkuriererei für die, die Arbeit, aber
keine Zeit haben, und so "das meisste" aus ihrer Zeit machen müssen.

Re: Commodore 8296GD

André Fachat
No, I'm using Xaw as well! :-)

Am 29. Mai 2017 5:11:10 PM schrieb [hidden email]:

> On Monday 29 May 2017, 17:03:28 [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> On 2012-10-19, at 00:14, Rhialto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Actually I don't know how long the GTK version had it, I just copied the
>> > feature into the Xaw version at some point when I noticed it.
>>
>> how should I understand this?
>
> "rhialto is the only one compiling XAW" =)
>
> --
>
> http://www.hitmen-console.org    http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
> http://www.pokefinder.org        http://ar.pokefinder.org
>
> Schön wäre es, wenn wir wirklich eine Frei-zeitgesellschaft hätten, dann wären
> echtes Bemühen und Anstrenungen für Dinge möglich, die über dem Arbeiten fürs
> Fressen liegen, insbesondere der Kunst. Mir scheint es eher, als hätten wir
> eine Arbeits- bzw -losigkeitsgesellschaft; alles, was an Freizeit entsteht
> wird umgemodelt zur Arbeitslosigkeit, und das, was wir an "Freizeitangeboten"
> haben, erscheint mir eher als Symptomkuriererei für die, die Arbeit, aber
> keine Zeit haben, und so "das meisste" aus ihrer Zeit machen müssen.
>

>        Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Re: Commodore 8296GD

At least the Xaw port has a menu.

I have absolutely NO idea how to use the SDL version.....

André

On Monday 29 May 2017, 18:01:44 André Fachat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> At least the Xaw port has a menu.
>
> I have absolutely NO idea how to use the SDL version.....

F12 to bring up the menu :)

--

http://www.hitmen-console.org    http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
http://www.pokefinder.org        http://ar.pokefinder.org

The other day I was playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and
four people died.

Re: Commodore 8296GD

André Fachat

Am 29. Mai 2017 6:12:05 PM schrieb [hidden email]:

> On Monday 29 May 2017, 18:01:44 André Fachat <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> At least the Xaw port has a menu.
>>
>> I have absolutely NO idea how to use the SDL version.....
>
> F12 to bring up the menu :)

Ah, thank you!

But you could have made it more obvious, like with a startup popup to say
so....

Re: Commodore 8296GD

Groepaz
On Monday 29 May 2017, 18:44:32 André Fachat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 29. Mai 2017 6:12:05 PM schrieb [hidden email]:
> > On Monday 29 May 2017, 18:01:44 André Fachat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> At least the Xaw port has a menu.
> >>
> >> I have absolutely NO idea how to use the SDL version.....
> >
> > F12 to bring up the menu :)
>
> Ah, thank you!
>
> But you could have made it more obvious, like with a startup popup to say
> so....

ugh, the docs are not good enough? a popup would become annoying very quickly
:)

--

http://www.hitmen-console.org    http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
http://www.pokefinder.org        http://ar.pokefinder.org

Die Wahrheit vor der Wahl - das hätten Sie wohl gerne gehabt.
<Sigmar Gabriel, SPD>

Re: Commodore 8296GD

earth1dome1
Are you sure that was xaw? Or are play with Dell roms....

Just joking? Jeremy

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Am 29. Mai 2017 6:57:40 PM schrieb [hidden email]:

> On Monday 29 May 2017, 18:44:32 André Fachat <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > F12 to bring up the menu :)
>>
>> Ah, thank you!
>>
>> But you could have made it more obvious, like with a startup popup to say
>> so....
>
> ugh, the docs are not good enough? a popup would become annoying very quickly
> :)

I was in fact thinking more along the lines of a fade-out and a "don't show
this again" select box.

Because believe me, the next time I try to use the SDL port, I will have
forgotten the F12 trick.... :-(

Regards

Re: Commodore 8296GD

Groepaz
On Monday 29 May 2017, 20:02:20 André Fachat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 29. Mai 2017 6:57:40 PM schrieb [hidden email]:

> >> Ah, thank you!
> >>
> >> But you could have made it more obvious, like with a startup popup to say
> >> so....
> >
> > ugh, the docs are not good enough? a popup would become annoying very
> > quickly>
> > :)
>
> I was in fact thinking more along the lines of a fade-out and a "don't show
> this again" select box.
>
> Because believe me, the next time I try to use the SDL port, I will have
> forgotten the F12 trick.... :-(

mmmh perhaps status bar could be on by default and show "press f12 for menu"
or so.... you should file a feature request :)

--

http://www.hitmen-console.org    http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
http://www.pokefinder.org        http://ar.pokefinder.org

Popmusik entfaltet ihr volles Potential, wenn man sie kurz vor dem Abspielen
durch Metal ersetzt.
<ZoLO>

Re: Commodore 8296GD

André Fachat

Am 29. Mai 2017 8:05:09 PM schrieb [hidden email]:

> On Monday 29 May 2017, 20:02:20 André Fachat <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > ugh, the docs are not good enough? a popup would become annoying very
>> > quickly>
>> > :)
>>
>> I was in fact thinking more along the lines of a fade-out and a "don't show
>> this again" select box.
>>
>> Because believe me, the next time I try to use the SDL port, I will have
>> forgotten the F12 trick.... :-(
>
> mmmh perhaps status bar could be on by default and show "press f12 for menu"
> or so.... you should file a feature request :)

Why did I hear that coming ;-)

Regards