Changing email address

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Changing email address

Marko Mäkelä-3
Hi all,

I have used the email address [hidden email] since September 1994,
when I enrolled at Helsinki University of Technology.  I got my doctoral
in November 2003.  The account will be finally cancelled at the end of
this month.

I have subscribed to this list from another address that I've been using
for private email for quite some time now.  (Replace hut with iki.)
In order to avoid spam, I'm not going to post to this list from that address,
because that address is supposed to be valid for the rest of my life.

If someone can suggest a good IMAP account for mailing lists (which should
implement server-side filtering), I'm interested.  Otherwise, when I
need to post something, I will ask someone to do that for me or use an
email account that I never read.

My ancient web page http://www.hut.fi/Misc/cbm/ will cease to exist.
Most of the material is available at http://www.iki.fi/~msmakela/8bit/.

Best regards,

        Marko

       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing email address

Ruud
Hallo Marko,


> If someone can suggest a good IMAP account for mailing lists

What about using GMAIL? I'm using a Gmail account for example to register
downloaded software. And if you don't mind I can make you part of my
family: marko (at) baltissen dot org :)


--
    ___
   / __|__
  / /  |_/     Groetjes, Ruud
  \ \__|_\
   \___|       http://Ruud.C64.org




       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing email address

Marko Mäkelä
Hi Ruud,

On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 04:36:52PM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> > If someone can suggest a good IMAP account for mailing lists
>
> What about using GMAIL? I'm using a Gmail account for example to register
> downloaded software. And if you don't mind I can make you part of my
> family: marko (at) baltissen dot org :)

In fact, I do have a gmail account that I don't use.  Let's see if this
message gets through.

BTW Groepaz, I found the Dienstagstreff web site very amusing.
The C64 birthday cake
<http://www.dienstagstreff.de/de/geschenke/c64-torte/index.php3>
reminded me of this wooden C64:
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/30/419_plonker/>.

        Marko
        http://www.iki.fi/~msmakela/8bit/

       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Changing email address

ruud.baltissen
Hallo Marko,


> In fact, I do have a gmail account that I don't use.  Let's
> see if this message gets through.

It does :)


--
    ___
   / __|__
  / /  |_/     Groetjes, Ruud
  \ \__|_\
   \___|       URL: Ruud.C64.org



 
De informatie in dit e-mailbericht is vertrouwelijk en uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Wanneer u dit bericht per abuis ontvangt, verzoeken wij u contact op te nemen met de afzender per kerende e-mail. Verder verzoeken wij u in dat geval dit e-mailbericht te vernietigen en de inhoud ervan aan niemand openbaar te maken. Wij aanvaarden geen aansprakelijkheid voor onjuiste, onvolledige dan wel ontijdige overbrenging van de inhoud van een verzonden e-mailbericht, noch voor daarbij overgebrachte virussen.

Stichting Pensioenfonds ABP is gevestigd te Heerlen en ingeschreven bij de Kamer van Koophandel Zuid Limburg onder nummer: 41074000


The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. It may be read, copied and used only by the intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please contact the sender immediately by return e-mail; please delete in this case the e-mail and do not disclose its contents to any person. We don't accept liability for any errors, omissions, delays of receipt or viruses in the contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.

Stichting Pensioenfonds ABP, having its registered office at Heerlen, is registered in the Traderegister of the Chamber of Commerce Zuid Limburg (Maastricht), the Netherlands, registration number: 41074000





       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing email address

Steven J. Nutsy
In reply to this post by Marko Mäkelä-3
On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 09:46:53AM +0200, Marko M?kel? wrote:
> I have subscribed to this list from another address that I've been
> using for private email for quite some time now.  (Replace hut with
> iki.) In order to avoid spam, I'm not going to post to this list from
> that address, because that address is supposed to be valid for the
> rest of my life.

That's nice and all, but you've already used "that e-mail address" in a
publicly accessible changelog, thus:

http://www.google.com/search?q=marko%2emakela%40iki%2efi

As well as in a Usenet group, thus:

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=marko%2emakela%40iki%2efi

So your obfuscatory machinations are all for naught.  Sorry.

       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing email address

Marko Mäkelä
On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 11:12:01AM -0700, Steven J. Nutsy wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 09:46:53AM +0200, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> > I have subscribed to this list from another address that I've been
> > using for private email for quite some time now.  (Replace hut with
> > iki.) In order to avoid spam, I'm not going to post to this list from
> > that address, because that address is supposed to be valid for the
> > rest of my life.
>
> That's nice and all, but you've already used "that e-mail address" in a
> publicly accessible changelog, thus:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=marko%2emakela%40iki%2efi

Thanks, that is on my home page, and I can thus fix that.  Thank you for
pointing this out.

> As well as in a Usenet group, thus:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=marko%2emakela%40iki%2efi
>
> So your obfuscatory machinations are all for naught.  Sorry.

Ah well, I didn't know that the mailing list is mirrored to Usenet.
That probably explains why I have gotten some spam since last summer.
Not much, maybe one or two messages per day, without any filter.

Some years ago, I accidentally filed one or two Debian bug reports
from a rarely used address.  I had to close down that address, because
it started getting dozens of spam messages per day.

        Marko

       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing email address

Antitrack

Quoting Marko Mäkelä <[hidden email]>:
>
> Some years ago, I accidentally filed one or two Debian bug reports
> from a rarely used address.  I had to close down that address, because
> it started getting dozens of spam messages per day.

Same problem here. Can anyone provide me with a spam-free e-mail address?



--------------------------------------
Ein Service von http://www.networld.at

       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing email address

Ruud
Hallo Antitrack,


> Same problem here. Can anyone provide me with a spam-free e-mail address?

As long as the archive keeps showing the full address, just look for mine
and you'll see what I mean, any spam-free address won't be spam-free for
long.


--
    ___
   / __|__
  / /  |_/     Groetjes, Ruud
  \ \__|_\
   \___|       http://Ruud.C64.org




       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing email address

Anders Carlsson
Regarding spam, I have observed that if your provider subscribes to some
good spam filters, the amount of garbage that comes through is very low. I
have had this email address for 2-3 years and posted it on various forums,
mailing lists, Usenet (!), general web pages etc. I get less than a fraction
of the amount of spam and viruses I got with my old University address. It
did not have the same degree of filtering, as students generally worship the
uncensored word so much they rather get hundreds of spam messages each day
than risk that one dodgy out of 1000 valid mails might be blocked.

Most of the spam and trojans I receive today are sent via some mailing list,
in particular Yahoo ones, or on my secondary catch-all account (for mail
sent to non-existing email addresses on my domain) which is set up with a
lower spam threshold.

Anyway, I'm sure Peter could change the settings in the hypermail archive if
many people find the somewhat obfuscated email addresses too much of a
giveaway.

--
Anders Carlsson


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list