Capacitors brand

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Capacitors brand

silverdr-2
Do we have any "proven" (reliability/longevity) capacitors brand to suggest to someone who wants to "recap" an A3k board?

--
SD!


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Capacitors brand

Jim Brain
On 2/25/2017 7:42 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
Do we have any "proven" (reliability/longevity) capacitors brand to suggest to someone who wants to "recap" an A3k board?


Lots of folks swear by nichicon caps for recapping monitors and such. 


Checking the newer posts in this forum provides some more names:


http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=414&page=7

Jim

-- 
Jim Brain
[hidden email] 
www.jbrain.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Capacitors brand

Gerrit Heitsch
In reply to this post by silverdr-2
On 02/26/2017 02:42 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Do we have any "proven" (reliability/longevity) capacitors brand to suggest to someone who wants to "recap" an A3k board?
>

Rubycon are known to last. Then there is Chemicon, they have this empty
rectangle logo. SUN was using them both in their systems and while I
have seen a lot of dead SUN systems over the years, I haven't seen one
where the capacitors where the problem.

  Gerrit



       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Capacitors brand

Justin-2
I've been using Rubycon and Panasonic based on optimizing for service hours and temperature, and buying milspec whenever it is an option.  On a GRiD I repaired recently I was able to replace motherboard electrolytic caps with ceramic equivalents so there are no electrolytic caps at all on the motherboard anymore.

Justin

On Feb 26, 2017, at 08:50, Gerrit Heitsch <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 02/26/2017 02:42 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Do we have any "proven" (reliability/longevity) capacitors brand to suggest to someone who wants to "recap" an A3k board?
>

Rubycon are known to last. Then there is Chemicon, they have this empty
rectangle logo. SUN was using them both in their systems and while I
have seen a lot of dead SUN systems over the years, I haven't seen one
where the capacitors where the problem.

  Gerrit



       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Capacitors brand

silverdr-2
In reply to this post by Jim Brain

> On 2017-02-26, at 03:07, Jim Brain <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Do we have any "proven" (reliability/longevity) capacitors brand to suggest to someone who wants to "recap" an A3k board?
>
> Lots of folks swear by nichicon caps for recapping monitors and such.  

I see. I usually heard of Nichicon in the context of working parameters [*], not necessarily as those that last longest but maybe the two go hand in hand.

> http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=414&page=7

Thanks.

> On 2017-02-26, at 07:50, Gerrit Heitsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Rubycon are known to last. Then there is Chemicon, they have this empty rectangle logo. SUN was using them both in their systems and while I have seen a lot of dead SUN systems over the years, I haven't seen one where the capacitors where the problem.

That's a good indicator.


> On 2017-02-26, at 10:57, Justin Cordesman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've been using Rubycon and Panasonic based on optimizing for service hours and temperature, and buying milspec whenever it is an option.  On a GRiD I repaired recently I was able to replace motherboard electrolytic caps with ceramic equivalents so there are no electrolytic caps at all on the motherboard anymore.


Rubycon repeats..


I was wondering whether not to advice replacing those wet caps with polymer ones? Any cons for a hardware like this?




--
SD!

* - got a friend who replaced (I think) all the caps in his amplifier, player and some more to Nichicon and insists that the equipment's output now sounds "so much better" :-)

       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Capacitors brand

Gerrit Heitsch
On 02/26/2017 02:43 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>

>
>> On 2017-02-26, at 07:50, Gerrit Heitsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Rubycon are known to last. Then there is Chemicon, they have this empty rectangle logo. SUN was using them both in their systems and while I have seen a lot of dead SUN systems over the years, I haven't seen one where the capacitors where the problem.
>
> That's a good indicator.

I still run 2 SUN systems at work, one made in 1998 and one made in
2001. Those have been running mostly 24/7 and so far show no indication
of stopping. OK, had to replace a dead HD now and then...

That means, you CAN build systems that use electrolytic caps that last a
long time. It's mostly a matter of paying a bit more for the caps and
using more of them than the bare minimum (*)

(*) On some boards you see empty spaces for caps. The designer thought
they were needed, then controlling came and removed as many caps as
possible to save some money... If I repair such a board, I don't just
replace the bad caps, I also populate the empty spaces.

  Gerrit



       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: Capacitors brand

Raj Wurttemberg
In reply to this post by silverdr-2
I just recapped a C128D (US version) power supply.  No issues at all.  I
wasn't really too specific on brands but I did replace the electrolytics
with similar electrolytics.  Here are some of the brands I used:

- Vishay
- Panasonic
- UCC

When I recap the system board I do plan on using the newer tantalum
capacitors.

/Raj


-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email]
[mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of [hidden email]
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 8:43 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Capacitors brand

Do we have any "proven" (reliability/longevity) capacitors brand to suggest
to someone who wants to "recap" an A3k board?

--
SD!


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Loading...