CBM-Transfer 1.02

Steve Gray
Hi All,

Many of you may know I've been working on CBM-Transfer (aka CBMXfer) for 10 years now. It's a GUI for opencbm, nibtools, and VICE for transferring files, creating disk images, and viewing cbm files. What many people don't realize is it includes a full-featured interactive symbolic 6502 disassembler. The latest release is out and I wanted to let everyone know it now supports code tracing / flow tracing. This will "run" the 6502 code using entry points you define and follows all jmp, jsr, and branches to mark the parts that are code. Anything not marked is "data" and is listed for you. It also comes with pre-defined "platforms" for most commodore machines and also a special platform for identifying unknown code.

I don't know how many people here are using Windows, but if you need a disassembler with code tracer take a look. As always, comments and feedback are always welcome.

(Verson 1.02 is available only on github at the moment)

Re: CBM-Transfer 1.02

Marko Mäkelä
On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 06:50:45PM +0000, Steve Gray wrote:
>What many people don't realize is it includes a full-featured
>interactive symbolic 6502 disassembler. The latest release is out and I
>wanted to let everyone know it now supports code tracing / flow
>tracing. This will "run" the 6502 code using entry points you define
>and follows all jmp, jsr, and branches to mark the parts that are code.
>Anything not marked is "data" and is listed for you.

This sounds much like d65 which I implemented back in 1994. OK, I now
see that the last update to that was almost ten years ago, at Cameron
Kaiser’s web page:

http://www.floodgap.com/retrotech/xa/#dxa

>It also comes with pre-defined "platforms" for most commodore machines
>and also a special platform for identifying unknown code.

If I remember correctly, d65 allowed you to specify the 6502 dialect
(documented opcodes only, some variants with some undocumented opcodes,
and CMOS 6502 opcodes). But as far as I remember, it did not allow you
to specify which external addresses are code and which ones are
definitely not (for example, so that it would detect that $20 $d3 $ff
must be data; you would not typically have jsr $ffd3 in a Commodore
program, but instead, jsr $ffd2).

Re: CBM-Transfer 1.02

I wanted to make mine a GUI version of DA65 by Ullrich von Bassewitz plus the code tracing from d65. I know I'm re-inventing the wheel, but I prefer working with a GUI and there was nothing out there that I liked. It also fits into CBM-Transfer so you can view files on the disk, although a symbolic disassembler with code tracing might be a bit of an overkill for the typical CBM-Transfer user who probably only wants to make D64 images of his disk collection ;-)

Anyway, I hope it can be useful for somebody out there...

Steve

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 06:50:45PM +0000, Steve Gray wrote:
>What many people don't realize is it includes a full-featured
>interactive symbolic 6502 disassembler. The latest release is out and I
>wanted to let everyone know it now supports code tracing / flow
>tracing. This will "run" the 6502 code using entry points you define
>and follows all jmp, jsr, and branches to mark the parts that are code.
>Anything not marked is "data" and is listed for you.

This sounds much like d65 which I implemented back in 1994. OK, I now
see that the last update to that was almost ten years ago, at Cameron
Kaiser’s web page:

http://www.floodgap.com/retrotech/xa/#dxa

>It also comes with pre-defined "platforms" for most commodore machines
>and also a special platform for identifying unknown code.

If I remember correctly, d65 allowed you to specify the 6502 dialect
(documented opcodes only, some variants with some undocumented opcodes,
and CMOS 6502 opcodes). But as far as I remember, it did not allow you
to specify which external addresses are code and which ones are
definitely not (for example, so that it would detect that $20 $d3 $ff
must be data; you would not typically have jsr $ffd3 in a Commodore
program, but instead, jsr $ffd2).

RE: CBM-Transfer 1.02

Hallo Steve,

Next week  I don't have to work so I have time to test it in combination with ZoomFloppy.

[...]

1/3 ht FDDs

Mike Stein

Missed ya at the meeting last night; how much longer until your thursday evenings are free again?

In case you're interested and didn't see this, lutiana has a 1/3 height drive for $10 + S:

Just in case you're only planning to install 1 drive and would like to keep the Epson together.

Re: CBM-Transfer 1.02

Eventually I'd like to add some intelligence to the disassembler, so it can automatically find and mark more data tables, for example by looking for LDA $xxxx,y type instructions, and things like vector tables. Currently my code tracer won't find these so could miss a lot of valid code.

Steve