C65 board on ebay

Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Commodore-C65-64DX-Prototype-Motherboard-Logic-Board-65-/222411037432?hash=item33c8bb1af8:g:9SoAAOSw2gxYpORg

Just in case someone is interested.

Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,

Ruud Baltissen

Re: C65 board on ebay

silverdr-2

> On 2017-02-16, at 09:02, Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Commodore-C65-64DX-Prototype-Motherboard-Logic-Board-65-/222411037432?hash=item33c8bb1af8:g:9SoAAOSw2gxYpORg
>
> Just in case someone is interested.

Everyone's interested.. Maybe except those who have more than one working unit already ;-)

Shall we bet how far it goes? ;-)

--
SD!

Re: C65 board on ebay

Konrad B

>> On 2017-02-16, at 09:02, Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Commodore-C65-64DX-Prototype-Motherboard-Logic-Board-65-/222411037432?hash=item33c8bb1af8:g:9SoAAOSw2gxYpORg
>>
>> Just in case someone is interested.
>
> Everyone's interested.. Maybe except those who have more than one working unit already ;-)
>
> Shall we bet how far it goes? ;-)
>
> --
> SD!

LOL, "partially loaded". Thanks for such an useless board - not a
single custom chip populated...

Regards,
Konrad

Re: C65 board on ebay

silverdr-2

> On 2017-02-16, at 09:15, Konrad B <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> On 2017-02-16, at 09:02, Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Commodore-C65-64DX-Prototype-Motherboard-Logic-Board-65-/222411037432?hash=item33c8bb1af8:g:9SoAAOSw2gxYpORg
>>>
>>> Just in case someone is interested.
>>
>> Everyone's interested.. Maybe except those who have more than one working unit already ;-)
>>
>> Shall we bet how far it goes? ;-)
>>
>> --
>> SD!
>
> LOL, "partially loaded". Thanks for such an useless board - not a
> single custom chip populated...

I say "thanks" also for a $22,000 working one so.. shall we bet? ;-)

I'd say... $3,850.-

--
SD!

Re: C65 board on ebay

smf
On 16/02/2017 08:19, [hidden email] wrote:
> I say "thanks" also for a $22,000 working one so.. shall we bet? ;-)
> I'd say... $3,850.-

No chips, no case, no keyboard, no drive.... I think I'll hold out for
this being any good http://mega65.org/

Re: C65 board on ebay

silverdr-2

> On 2017-02-16, at 11:00, smf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 16/02/2017 08:19, [hidden email] wrote:
>> I say "thanks" also for a $22,000 working one so.. shall we bet? ;-)
>> I'd say... $3,850.-
>
> No chips, no case, no keyboard, no drive.... I think I'll hold out for this being any good

I won't bid anything above a hundred, but.. I am almost sure before I get to this it will be higher.

> http://mega65.org/

Well, yeah.. but that's not the same as the original thing, is it?

--
SD!

Re: C65 board on ebay

Clockmeister

On 16/02/2017 4:02 PM, Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud) wrote:

Interesting too is the negative feedback from this month.

Re: C65 board on ebay

Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud) wrote:

> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Commodore-C65-64DX-Prototype-Motherboard-Logic-Board-65-/222411037432?hash=item33c8bb1af8:g:9SoAAOSw2gxYpORg

I was bidding on this one last month or so, and looks it is now
relisted. Wonder what happened to the previous bidder.

Re: C65 board on ebay

boelle
false bids to jack up the price where the seller doing the false bidding ended with being the highest bidder :-D

Baltissen, GJPAA (Ruud) wrote:

> http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Commodore-C65-64DX-Prototype-Motherboard-Logic-Board-65-/222411037432?hash=item33c8bb1af8:g:9SoAAOSw2gxYpORg

I was bidding on this one last month or so, and looks it is now
relisted. Wonder what happened to the previous bidder.

Re: C65 board on ebay

Gerrit Heitsch
On 02/16/2017 06:43 PM, Bo Herrmannsen wrote:
> false bids to jack up the price where the seller doing the false bidding
> ended with being the highest bidder :-D

That's why I send in exactly one bid when bidding on ebay and that gets
entered as close to the end of the auction as possible (30 secs or less)
with the maximum I am willing to pay. If I get what I want, fine... If
not, maybe next time.

Any other strategy invites fake bids.

Re: C65 board on ebay

sorry for a stupid question :)

what use for a board without any chip lefts ?

put it on a frame and on a wall ?

perhaps that in 2 or 3 hundred years it could be taken for a picasso ? :)

didier derny wrote:

> sorry for a stupid question :)
> what use for a board without any chip lefts ?

As a spare in case I damage my existing board when soldering stuff? :-)

Re: C65 board on ebay

Didier Derny
Hi

ok, it means that you already have one...

On 16/02/2017 20:39, Michał Pleban wrote:

> Hello!
>
> didier derny wrote:
>
>> sorry for a stupid question :)
>> what use for a board without any chip lefts ?
> As a spare in case I damage my existing board when soldering stuff? :-)
>
> Regards,
> Michau.
>

>         Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Re: C65 board on ebay

geneb
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017, didier derny wrote:

> sorry for a stupid question :)
>
> what use for a board without any chip lefts ?
>
> put it on a frame and on a wall ?
>
> perhaps that in 2 or 3 hundred years it could be taken for a picasso ? :)

...or scan it with the goal to make more. :)

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

http://scarlet.deltasoft.com - Get it _today_!

Re: C65 board on ebay

Didier Derny
then I have another stupid question ?

where do you find the chips :)

I know that the gardener a the corner of the street has some :)

he raised them, they grow like trees and instead of fruits you get chips :)

On 16/02/2017 20:59, geneb wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Feb 2017, didier derny wrote:
>
>> sorry for a stupid question :)
>>
>> what use for a board without any chip lefts ?
>>
>> put it on a frame and on a wall ?
>>
>> perhaps that in 2 or 3 hundred years it could be taken for a picasso
>> ? :)
>
> ...or scan it with the goal to make more. :)
>
> g.

Re: C65 board on ebay

geneb
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017, didier derny wrote:

> then I have another stupid question ?
>
> where do you find the chips :)

Well, when a chip fab and an eccentric billionaire engineer meet and fall
in love....

:)

g.

On 17/02/2017 3:39 AM, Michał Pleban wrote:
> Hello!
>
> didier derny wrote:
>
>> sorry for a stupid question :)
>> what use for a board without any chip lefts ?
> As a spare in case I damage my existing board when soldering stuff? :-)

Damage one of the chips and you'll have two wall hangings.

Re: C65 board on ebay

On 16/02/2017 10:54, [hidden email] wrote:
> Well, yeah.. but that's not the same as the original thing, is it?

No, but it would take some pressure off the price of the originals & it
might mean that there is some software worth running.

Hardware-based vs software-based emulation

Marko Mäkelä
On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 08:47:12AM +0000, smf wrote:
>On 16/02/2017 10:54, [hidden email] wrote:
>>Well, yeah.. but that's not the same as the original thing, is it?
>
>No, but it would take some pressure off the price of the originals &
>it might mean that there is some software worth running.

The Commodore 65 is essentially emulating the Commodore 64 in hardware.
(OK, it is also a valuable collector's item.) The Mega65 is emulating
the Commodore 65 and other 8-bit systems in FPGA hardware, similar to
the C-One (and theoretically its sibling C64DTV too).

I hope this will not escalate into a flame war, but I am curious:

What is the benefit of implementing the emulation of a full system in
VHDL or FPGA, instead of implementing it in software?

The only reason to use hardware-based emulation that I can think of is
the ability to connect original (or compatible) peripherals.

With software-based emulation, you can use free (as in freedom) software
tools, while with FPGAs you typically are limited to the closed-source
tools and formats provided by the chip manufacturer.

If you do not need the connectivity to authentic peripherals that cannot
be emulated with simple GPIO, wouldn't it be better to use
software-based emulation either on commodity hardware or on
hobbyist-friendly hardware such as the Dragonbox Pyra, built around a
reasonably open system-on-chip? Or wouldn't it be better to develop a
Mega65-style mainboard but implement the emulation in software, ditching
the "non-trivial" peripheral ports, keeping only joystick ports and the
serial bus? Instead of analog video and audio you would typically get
HDMI output that works nicely with modern displays (but admittedly, not
at all with an authentic CRT).

The recently released NES Classic is just an ARM SoC running an
emulator. Nintendo has a long history of releasing old titles bundled
with an emulator.

Speaking of authentic peripherals, I wonder if there would be any demand
for Atari/Commodore joystick cables or joysticks. I learned some years
ago that my joystick cords have become unreliable, and I would prefer to
replace the cords with ones that have a molded plastic connector.
(Personally I do not need new joysticks, only new cords; the TAC-2 are
virtually indestructable.) If there is interest in this, I could ask a
friend who has good contacts to various manufacturers in China. Maybe a
small batch could be done for a reasonable price.

Re: Hardware-based vs software-based emulation

Groepaz
On Friday 17 February 2017, 11:50:09 Marko Mäkelä <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What is the benefit of implementing the emulation of a full system in
> VHDL or FPGA, instead of implementing it in software?
>
> The only reason to use hardware-based emulation that I can think of is
> the ability to connect original (or compatible) peripherals.

for me the main reason is latency... with software based emulation you get at
least one frame of latency, often even two. i find playing fast paced games on
emulators quite annoying because of this, especially if you are still using
the real thing the difference is quite real. with fpga based implementations
you can get rid of this completely, and it works 100% like the real thing.
(minus the fact that even the so called modern display itself may introduce
latency, but thats another problem)

--

http://www.hitmen-console.org    http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
http://www.pokefinder.org        http://ar.pokefinder.org

Nen Assembler ist wie nen Hund. der macht alles was man ihm sagt. Compiler
sind wie Katzen.
<jmpfce2>